G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Need some advice on brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on brakes

I just wanted to get some opinions from some experts as to how I can assess if I truly need new rotors and pads. I own a 2007 G35X, I know the rotors were turned when I purchased it last year so I am guessing it's time to replace them as the car is hitting about 32 K and I believe the original rotors are still on there.

My car pulsates pretty bad when breaking at higher speeds but it if I come to a nice easy gradual stop the pulsation is minimal. But when the pulsation is pretty bad, braking at higher speeds, the entire car shakes and my shifter is wobbling pretty bad. It's obvious I need to address the problem and I know I probably need new rotors and or pads.

I know it's pretty easy to tell if I need new pads, but my problem is I have no clue how to tell if I need new rotors if there are no obvious signs present, grooves, uneven wear on the rotors and such. Bottom line I don't want to replace a rotor if it has enough thickness left on it or miss replacing a rotor if it has barely any thickness left on it. Is there any tool I can use to measure the thickness and what should be that thickness? Where do I measure from for the thickness?

Also, what should my tire pressure be around? I was reading on one of the posts that it should be around 40 PSI, which seems a bit high. I usually go with about 32 to 34 PSI.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:53 PM
33psi (open the driver's side door and there's a sticker there.)

There's a TSB for the front rotors - try googling it.

I had the TSB done for my 2008. I'm not sure if it's applicable to yours, but if it does, it'll cost you nothing to fix this... provided the front ones are warped.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks Georgesa!! So far, I've found the following in regards to brakes:

The TSB is labelled ITB09-037b

2008-2009 INFINITI G COUPE, 2007-2009 G SEDAN; BRAKE JUDDER
While braking, especially when braking at highway speeds:
• the steering wheel shakes
and/or
• the body vibrates
and/or
• the brake pedal pulsates (also known as “Brake Judder”)

Found it on http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/ which seems to be a government website. When I wanted to request more details, they want to charge me $45 an hour for the computer search and additional charges to make copies! come on! lol

It seems like this "brake juddger" which I am experiencing is covered for my car. How did this process work for you? Did you mention to your dealer that you discovered a TSB? and they fixed it for you or what?

Pardon my lack of knowledge on this subject, I've never heard of a TSB until you mentioned it.

Also, I am wondering if this TSB will apply to my car since I am around 32K miles. Any thoughts?

Last edited by theproman23; 05-17-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Georgesa, I am pretty giddy right now. Not sure that's the appropriate reaction but I never knew something like a TSB existed. I found a total of 23 TSBs that apply to this car and within that list was the one I mentioned above for the "brake judder". I also found another one that I am interested in having fixed - ITB08-017 this applies to the acceleration at low rpm.

Thanks again!

I am hoping I won't get a lot of problem from the dealer. I guess even if I have to bug the hell out of them to get these done, it might be worth it for the savings.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Yep, that's the one. This site has all the details. You may need to sign-up first.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...1066&catid=301

The dealer initially mentioned that brakes are not covered under warranty. When I brought in a printout, they went ahead w/o any issues (they didn't know about the TSB). I don't think mileage matters - if the front pad is worn, they'll replace that too. Mine wasn't.

However, I'm not sure they'll do this for free if the car is no longer under warranty.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks again!

I actually purchased the car as a certified pre owned one so the original warranty was actually extended 2 more years past the normal 4 year period. So, the car is actually under original warranty for about another 3 years.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by theproman23
Georgesa, I am pretty giddy right now. Not sure that's the appropriate reaction but I never knew something like a TSB existed. I found a total of 23 TSBs that apply to this car and within that list was the one I mentioned above for the "brake judder". I also found another one that I am interested in having fixed - ITB08-017 this applies to the acceleration at low rpm.
Search for this one on this site. Some people prefer the old setting for the sensitivity. Once you have it reprogrammed, it cannot be undone.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Just an update. I took the car in to see if the "brake judder" was occuring and if it was covered. And they took the car for a ride and apparently it's still covered so now I have a brand new set of rotors on the front!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
look at the second half of this thread:

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/show...41.html?t=7341

Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by djfarhan
look at the second half of this thread:

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/show...41.html?t=7341
Not sure what you want me to look for.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
Thumbs down

i read wrong, i thought u were looking for place to buy new brakes or something,

i will blame it on the fact that i just woke up.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Just an update. I took the car in to see if the "brake judder" was occuring and if it was covered. And they took the car for a ride and apparently it's still covered so now I have a brand new set of rotors on the front!
Glad to hear this.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Does this TSB brake judder applies to cars in Canada? and how many kms/years?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 AM
good for you

Old 06-04-2010, 03:58 AM
So the brake judder has nothing to do with the rear brakes? I have brake judder. My rear pads are due for replacement and I am trying to decide if I can just go to a good shop to get this done. The Infiniti dealership wanted 450 or so to replace my rear pads(i am beginning to think he probably included resurfacing rotors , because the pads cant be that expensive).

Also if I get the fronts done under the TSB with OEM parts, can I get better brakes like ceramic or whatever for the rears? Or do all four brakes need to be the same brand?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on brakes