Parasitic Battery Drain??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Parasitic Battery Drain??

I think I have a problem.
My car is sucking 0.140 AMP from my battery in sleep mode
If I then remove the ROOM LAMP fuse (10AMP) of the inside fuse box, it drop to 0.070 AMP which I think, is a reasonable value right?
The ROOM LAMP fuse also give power to side mirrors and driver's control seat.
Any thoughts on this? It happened to someone else here?
Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you change LEDs car bin and side door light?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by borderline
I think I have a problem.
My car is sucking 0.140 AMP from my battery in sleep mode
If I then remove the ROOM LAMP fuse (10AMP) of the inside fuse box, it drop to 0.070 AMP which I think, is a reasonable value right?
The ROOM LAMP fuse also give power to side mirrors and driver's control seat.
Any thoughts on this? It happened to someone else here?
Thanks
Bring it to your dealer, I've had a problem with my car draining my battery very quickly (after one hour in ACC mode). The dealer told me that my electronic control module was probably defective and replaced it for me. I'm not sure what it was called, but the dealer told me that if it was defective, it would have drained my battery in sleep mode, or ACC mode. It was done for free.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by earth0
Did you change LEDs car bin and side door light?
I have all interior LED's, and my battery just died a few days ago and haven't had any problem since (knocks on wood**) why? would the led's have anything to do with it?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
No, LEDs don't really have anything to do with it...I don't think. Otherwise, there would be a big thread about it lol

Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my cars battery go dead on me a few times right after I bought it. What was happening in my case was with the car in ACC I didn't realize that the headlights were on because the switch was on Auto. Once I realized the problem I always turn my headlights to Off and can use ACC for a few hours with no issue.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
My car has always had some drain. When I am going out of town for a week or so I always put it on a trickle charger.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for all your inputs. Yes I have LED bulbs everywhere but it should not be a problem.
My car is no longer on warranty so I decided to check this myself and everything seemed to be fine. I called an Infinti dealer and talked to a technician. He told me that this is normal. I have checked and the electrical system drain .140AMP for about 30 minutes. after 30 minutes it drop to about 0.03 AMP.
So my problem was only my battery...

@RAGINCAJUN: It happened to me few times too!! So maybe I killed the battery that way!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by lak3shor3_slat3
I have all interior LED's, and my battery just died a few days ago and haven't had any problem since (knocks on wood**) why? would the led's have anything to do with it?
I use to have all Leds cabin changed in my 08 G35X and i had 2 battery change in one year after i located both Driver Side Door Leds were never off even both door were completely closed.
You can check by sitting in your car at night while both door has closed completely.Seeif the leds is completely off. If not that's problem of drain battery. After i noticed so i replaced all Leds with normal bulb.All problems is gone.Hope it help.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ thats normal, the leds use very little current which is why you see a dim glow after you lock down your car, however after 5mins the BCm cuts off all power and the dim LED glow goes away as well, the LEDs are not the problem.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's not the LEDs causing the problem.
must be dead alternator or something.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by borderline
Thanks for all your inputs. Yes I have LED bulbs everywhere but it should not be a problem.
My car is no longer on warranty so I decided to check this myself and everything seemed to be fine. I called an Infinti dealer and talked to a technician. He told me that this is normal. I have checked and the electrical system drain .140AMP for about 30 minutes. after 30 minutes it drop to about 0.03 AMP.
So my problem was only my battery...

@RAGINCAJUN: It happened to me few times too!! So maybe I killed the battery that way!
my car is doing the SAME thing (140ma drain, down to 80ma when i pull the ROOM LAMP fuse. but it started about a week after it rained in my car (windows mysteriously went down. think it was because my remote keyfob acted up). the day before my battery issues started, i reinstalled the passenger seat (had taken it out to sop up water under the carpet the day after it rained in it). so my assumption is the car seat got wet and shorted out something, causing my 140ma drain.

i just noticed you let it sit for 30 minutes and then observed a significant drop in drain. i am letting my car sit now. hopefully i have the same results as you and its just my battery. it just seems too coincidental that this all started after installing a seat that got wet.

sent you a pm too. but you can respond here

thanks

Old 09-14-2013, 11:54 PM
ok checked and im at 26 milliamps after 30 minutes. either my re-removing my car seat and re-inserting connections fixed it, or my battery is screwed up like the OP

i'm at 13+volts when car is running, and around 12.5 after a jump and letting it run a few minutes. i dont know how old the battery is - i've had the car about 2 years (2008 infiniti g35) and havent changed the battery

or maybe something is kicking in at intervals and draining my battery. can a bad battery drop from 12.4 to 12.1 voltage overnight w/ no significant parasitic drain? this is what happened last night

Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 AM
went back and verified (about 1 hour after letting the car sit while off) and draw was still about 25ma.

but the car wont start. it battery was at 12.38v before trying to start. directly after trying to start it was at 12.08. would this indicate a bad battery? or is 12.38v not enough to begin with to fully start up the car?

may take battery in to autozone for a test or just buy a new one

Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Battery shouldn't be 12.38V. I would switch it out. The longest lasting battery for my G35 lasted 3 yr 6 months. A couple lasted much shorter. Older cars can start with a suboptimal battery but not our G's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parasitic Battery Drain??