G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Brought my car to dealer- had a 2010 G37x Sedan Loaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked the white needles on the gauges too, small change but it was nice.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Its all trivial....
+1 on that!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's interesting that people think their 07's feel faster than a '10.

I also had a 2010 loaner (journey, not X) last week from service. It had 8k miles on it so it was broken in properly. Compared to my S, I thought it definitely felt a little faster at full throttle.

My 07 G35S seems to shift slightly harder, but the G37 definitely pulled a little harder.

The largest difference in acceleration wasn't at full throttle though, the G37 was significantly faster at mid throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear. The extra torque and better gearing in 2nd and 3rd made an obvious difference compared to my 5 speed auto in the G35. Basically it was better after making a right turn, or anything that would require acceleration starting in 2nd or 3rd.

Overall, if I could swap engines/trans with a G37, I'd do it in a hearbeat. But, the difference isn't enough to make me spend the $$ for a new car.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
I just found out while playing through the settings that you can turn off the predictive camera lines. So, my bad about my loaner not having it.

I also find that the white gauges are much neater and smaller. The gas and engine temp gauges are noticeably smaller (the needle). I felt though, the white gauges and needles made it look more like a Lexus, and not an Infiniti. The steering definitely felt more like driving a Lexus, and not as sporty as the older models. The quietness of the engine compared to mine also made it more Lexus-esque.

Does anyone know if the headlights can be adjusted in the 2007 G35x with TECH pkg? (It has AFS). Some of the dealers told me that it cannot be adjusted, but the loaner vehicle has its headlights significantly angled higher than mine.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-20-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Any time you get a loaner from a higher end dealership (Lexus, Infiniti, BMW), they loan you a car that is the newest model or last year's model...
Infiniti service is pretty expensive, IMO not worth it unless it's a major service done (30k, 60k, 90k, etc)

I have never done any major service on my g35x only because if you look at what they do, most of the time is checking belts and cables, etc...very few items are replaced (oil change, cabin air filter, engine air filter). In the end, you can DIY in less than 30 minutes. For oil changes, I just go to my local shop for $18.99. When I bought the car, Infiniti dealer told me I don't need to get it serviced because most of the time they're just checking pipes and belts and not doing a lot of replacing. The dealer told me I don't really need to ever do any major servicing if I don't want to, as long as I do my regular maintenance (oil changes, air filters, and make sure the fluid levels are right). When you get your oil change, most shops will tell you if you need anything done to the vehicle.
Thats good to know. I thought you are suppose to take your car to the dealer to keep the warranty. My guess was every three months or 3,000 miles.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by salvador312
Thats good to know. I thought you are suppose to take your car to the dealer to keep the warranty. My guess was every three months or 3,000 miles.
Nope, as long as you didn't damage anything due to solid neglect (like not changing the oil) the warranty is still valid. As long as you do not get into an accident you do not need to worry about the warranty being void. Anything wear and tear is not covered my warranty anyways, so no matter what, you would still have to pay for things that are like that, whether you take it to service or not.

Infiniti told me when I bought the car that I do not even need to service it, as long as I do regular maintenance (oil changes). Like I said before, warranty only covers parts that are not wear and tear on everyday usage (brakes, tires). The powertrain warranty, I believe, is covered for 6 years/70k miles. I change my oil every 5,000 miles (sometimes 6,000 miles), and I've never had a problem. Although the dealer told me that my transmission fluid is dirty and needs to be changed...I don't think I will do that right now.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Nope, as long as you didn't damage anything due to solid neglect (like not changing the oil) the warranty is still valid. As long as you do not get into an accident you do not need to worry about the warranty being void. Anything wear and tear is not covered my warranty anyways, so no matter what, you would still have to pay for things that are like that, whether you take it to service or not.

Infiniti told me when I bought the car that I do not even need to service it, as long as I do regular maintenance (oil changes). Like I said before, warranty only covers parts that are not wear and tear on everyday usage (brakes, tires). The powertrain warranty, I believe, is covered for 6 years/70k miles. I change my oil every 5,000 miles (sometimes 6,000 miles), and I've never had a problem. Although the dealer told me that my transmission fluid is dirty and needs to be changed...I don't think I will do that right now.
Make sure you drive the car till the only thing holding the trans together is all that dirt, then change it and kill your trans completely.

The manufacturer maintenance recommendations are there for a reason, they should not be disregarded. You can however do them yourself and save an assload of money.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by steve85
Make sure you drive the car till the only thing holding the trans together is all that dirt, then change it and kill your trans completely.

The manufacturer maintenance recommendations are there for a reason, they should not be disregarded. You can however do them yourself and save an assload of money.
If Acura and Honda make their cars with maintenance free for 100k miles, I believe my car's transmission fluid should be fine at only 46,500 miles. The transmission fluid according to some mechanics does not have to be changed until 100k miles...so I'm not sure...the dealer is charging me over 200 dollars to just change the fluid....does that even sound reasonable? I'm thinking of waiting until the 60k mile service at a Nissan dealer (cheaper) to do all of this.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-22-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
I had an 09 loaner twice. Once for 4 days and another for 2 weeks.

It hauled!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
My 09 "feels" quicker than my 07, I doubt it's anything significant but does have more snap from 0-60.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 PM
If Acura and Honda make their cars with maintenance free for 100k miles, I believe my car's transmission fluid should be fine at only 46,500 miles. The transmission fluid according to some mechanics does not have to be changed until 100k miles...so I'm not sure...the dealer is charging me over 200 dollars to just change the fluid....does that even sound reasonable? I'm thinking of waiting until the 60k mile service at a Nissan dealer (cheaper) to do all of this.
You should have your transmission fluid replaced every 30K, if you plan to keep the car for an extended period of time. The biggest enemy of transmissions is heat. Not changing the transmission fluid for an extended period of time results in the fluid becoming contaminated with clutch pack material and losing its thermal properties. What is even worse is that as the fluid starts to get permeated with the clutch pack material it actually provides the friction needed to affect gear changes. As such, what happens is if you wait too long to change the tranny fluid, like you have, and then you replace the old fluid that now has friction promoting characteristics (given that its carrying the clutch pack material) with fresh fluid, there is a chance that you start to experience slippage. This is why a lot of good techs won't flush a transmission, but rather, recommended more frequent fluid changes to promote longevity.