G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Am I crazy?

I am about to buy an 07 G35S 6MT sedan, never having driven one. In fact, the last G35 I drove was in 2003 when they first came out....

I am currently driving a 2002 BMW 330i Auto with sport and premium... I hope I won't be disappointed with the G

It turns out I'm not crazy...here are a few quick pics of my new baby:

Last edited by Rollo; 08-01-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
well being that you are on a G35 forum asking members who are all in love with their G's It would be safe to say I speak for everyone saying you will NOT be dissapointed with purchasing that. In addition, they have came along way in G35 technology from the 03' you drove to the 07' (and its a sport!? i wish i would have gotten the sport damnit) your talking about getting is like day and night. Having said that I have heard a lot of members who aren't as satisified with the newer G's for lack of other things: the 7 speed trans. seems awkard when looking to switch gears, the instrument gauge looks to much like a is250 (yes, i know the ladder is minor).

If you do post pics and show off your new ride. if you have any questions use the search bar 9.9/10 have been asked.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
You should be happy going from a 330i to a 6spd 07 Gsport. There's a couple DIY clutch "tweaks" that will make your 6mt even better. Some members here can link you to those fixes. Plus BMWs reliability is quite a few nothces down from Infiniti (I know this firsthand )

Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I never test drove any of the cars I have owned... and I have loved them all. I think doing your research, knowing what you want goes a long way.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Well, I am flying to Dallas on Saturday and driving it back to Kentucky. It's a Garnet Ember 6MT with premium and nav.

I'll post pics when I recover from the trip.

Last edited by Rollo; 07-21-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollo
Well, I am flying to Dallas on Saturday and driving it back to Kentucky. It's a Garnet Ember 6MT with premium and nav.

I'll post pics when I recover from the trip.
did the same thing, flew to boston, drove it back to indiana. was a G35S Garnett red with nav, backup cam, cd changer, and all-wheel-steering. Love mine.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm very nervous and excited...I gotta' get up at like 4:30 AM to make it to the airport in time....that's going to make the drive tough to do in one day.

I've got some MP3 cd's I will take with me...hopefully that and plenty of caffeine will get me through....

Anything I need to know about my new (to me) G for the trip?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollo

Anything I need to know about my new (to me) G for the trip?
Just don't turn off your VDC until you get some time to get used to your new G (or at least wait until you're on a big wide empty stretch of road)
Have a safe trip & show us your new G when you get back

Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
You'll find the 3 just "drives better," there's no other way to describe it. It's a combination of steering feel, balance, turn in, and a lot of other factors.

Even though my G can "outhandle" my 3, the 3 is just more enjoyable to drive.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rollo, congrats on the new ride! Where do you live in KY, Im from southern Indiana. Get on the Ohio G Club section if you get the chance.

My personal experience with my 06 G 6MT is this..... I love it more then I thought I would. Considering I came from the world of Subaru STi I was afraid I wouldn't be happy with a non-turbo car. I was very wrong!

I would suggest bringing your CD's and if you have a radar detector, bring that too because you know your going to be "testing" the gas pedal every so often on the way home. But like Blnewt said, leave VDC on until you get some time behind the wheel, its an easy car to drive after you have some time in it but don't rush yourself and just have fun on the way home.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 AM
RCK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Godspeed, Rollo. And do keep that VDC on. I agree with E-T Ride that the 3 "feels better," "feels" more nimble. But I would emphasize "feels." The G, especially the true Sport 6MT handles just as well as the 3, but the G "feels" heftier, heavier. That heft, the delivery of power and the large brakes on the Sport G can build a real sense of security and safety. Don't abuse it.

I've found the G clutch, with its high--some say tricky--engagement point, is also longer and more diagonal than european clutches. Lowering the seat and pushing it back will take strain off your left knee when working the clutch.

Be safe. Have fun!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
does yours have Intelligent Cruise Control? (ICC)? If so, be careful using it on the drive back. It's weird to use if you've never had anything like it before.

When switching lanes while using ICC, either get on the gas or be ready to expect it to take a second or two before it speeds up to your set speed. Also, if you hold down the cruise on/off button, it will switch to standard cruise that you're used to.

Also, if it starts raining while you're using ICC, if you turn the wipers on to anything more than intermittent wipers, the ICC will shut off on it's own, so be carefull. basic cruise can still work though.

Another note: You can get Compact Flash to SD card adpaters on ebay and a feu w other places for pretty cheap. Get one, it's worth it. all my devices use MicroSD cards, so I have the following: CF to SD adapter with a the SD card actually being a MicroSD to Full Size SD adapter so that I can use MicroSD cards for MP3s.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where in Dallas are you picking it up?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I am in Bowling Green Kentucky so not far from Southern Indiana and I too have a WRX in my past. I had a slightly modded WRX before I bought my current BMW. I'll check out the regional board for sure.

Thanks for the well wishes and advice...I'll go easy on it for a while and don't plan on turning off VDC under any normal circumstances.

It doesn't have the tech package so I'll have to make due with plain old-fashioned cruise control.

I'm making a few MP3 cd's but will definitely look in to a CF/SD adapter.

I am actually getting the car at the airport. The dealer I'm purchasing from is actually in Ganesville but they are being kind enough to meet me at the airport.

I love the Bimmer but I have missed the kick in the pants since I let the WRX go so it will be nice to have a manual transmission and plenty of power on tap again.

thanks for all of the replies....

Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Well, I made it back fine. The car is nearly flawless--it's like whoever had it drove it around in a bubble. It only had 21,600 miles on it...it now has 22,400.

I am waxing it now and will put up pics later.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy?