G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Best Way to Removing Pin Strips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best Way to Removing Pin Strips?

I did a search and only found someone who had a painted on pin strip that they wanted to take off. The car I'm picking up on Friday has either decal pin strips or sticker pin strips. Since this is an 08 I'm thinking it may be a bit more difficult to take either type off the car. So what is the best way to take either of these types of pin stripping. Is the hairdryer still the preferred method?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Use Goo gone and a towel.

I did it the dumbass way. Fingernails which took forever, then I used WD40

Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by apexi957
Use Goo gone and a towel.

I did it the dumbass way. Fingernails which took forever, then I used WD40
Thanks! Is Goo Gone available at most auto stores?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM
I went to Home Depot to get it. Any hardware store would probably have it.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Will Goo Gone work on any type of pin strip (other than painted on)?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Goo gone will remove any adhesive including pin stripes. It will not do anything for the painted on ones

Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
pinstripe eraser. goes on a cordless drill and takes off pinstripes, 2 mins a side.
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
pin stripe eraser. goes on a cordless drill and takes off pinstripes, 2 mins a side.
I have never heard of that in my entire life...It would've made my 4 hour job easier...

Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
bodyshop guys know about it. its a soft rubber compound that takes off pinstripes like erasers do pencil. does absolutely no damage to the paint, but i do recommend wiping down the area of the pinstripe to remove any surface dirt to keep that from scratching the paint.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
pics of the pin strips please lol

Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Okay, I still haven't found the right product to remove pin striping from my G. I used the hairdryer method and the pin strip came off nicely. But the adhesive remained. So I tried Goo Gone, but after two minutes of letting it soak it wouldn't come off with mild/moderate rubbing. So i reapplied Goo Gone and waited 10 minutes. After heavy rubbing it started to somewhat come off, but I feel if I continued this method I would likely damage the finish. So then I tried Scotch #8984 adhesive remover using the same method as the Goo Gone. A slight amount of adhesive came off but again only under heavy rubbing. Then I tried WD-40. This worked a bit better than the Goo Gone, but I had to rub quite hard to get any to come off.

Is the bottom line that regardless the product, I'm going to rub heavily to get this crap off? Or is there a better option that I need to explore. I haven't tried the pin strip eraser suggested by speedracerg35. I'm thinking my last resort may be to take it to a body shop and have them remove it.

Any suggestions beyond what I've tried. I have a Porter Cable. Would wax on the white pad do any good? Since this is a black car, I'm really worried I will scratch the finish and make matters even worse!

Please help!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Read on another thread to use a clay bar. So I gave it a try. On both the WD-40 and Goo Gone areas the clay bar worked well. But after cleaning the small area that I did I saw the finish was dramatically scratched and cloudy. OUCH!

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, I think I'm just going to say F-it and go to a body shop.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by fotodad
Okay, I still haven't found the right product to remove pin striping from my G. I used the hairdryer method and the pin strip came off nicely. But the adhesive remained. So I tried Goo Gone, but after two minutes of letting it soak it wouldn't come off with mild/moderate rubbing. So i reapplied Goo Gone and waited 10 minutes. After heavy rubbing it started to somewhat come off, but I feel if I continued this method I would likely damage the finish. So then I tried Scotch #8984 adhesive remover using the same method as the Goo Gone. A slight amount of adhesive came off but again only under heavy rubbing. Then I tried WD-40. This worked a bit better than the Goo Gone, but I had to rub quite hard to get any to come off.

Is the bottom line that regardless the product, I'm going to rub heavily to get this crap off? Or is there a better option that I need to explore. I haven't tried the pin strip eraser suggested by speedracerg35. I'm thinking my last resort may be to take it to a body shop and have them remove it.

Any suggestions beyond what I've tried. I have a Porter Cable. Would wax on the white pad do any good? Since this is a black car, I'm really worried I will scratch the finish and make matters even worse!

Please help!
I don't think the eraser can even help at this point. It was meant to get off the pin strip not the adhesive itself. I have the same problem with you on my car and I just don't eve care anymore. Maybe call a local body shop and ask?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok guy, use your girl friend's/wife's hair dryer and hold appx 6 inches away from car, heat and peel real easy. Remember pinstripes is just vinyl with glue on the back side. Goo-gone or any adhesive remover from any autoparts store(autozone/advance auto) etcto remove the sticky residue that's left behind. A healthy coat of wax after since the goo-gone/adhesive remover will strip any wax on your car.

That's the same method I used to debadge my G35 and my Yukon denali. It's proven. I had a heat gun though. (Army guy so I needed to shine boots back in the days)

Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^ he already has the stripes off. It's the adhesive that won't come off.
It's time to visit a shop so you don't destroy your finish.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Removing Pin Strips?