G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

air filter differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air filter differences

While having tires replaced the mechanic did a "courtesy check" of my air cleaners and offered to replace them at $28 a pop. I declined and stopped by Advance to see what they really cost. They had a K&N for $57, a Fram for $25 and Purolator for $15. I called a friend at Napa who had a special in progress for their Gold Series (allegedly exceeds OEM spec) for $6. I didn't check the Infiniti dealer expecting the typical sticker shock. How in the world can a simple air cleaner vary from six to sixty bucks? What makes a K&N worth $60 anyway? Is it reusable or something?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
K&n have some kind of mojo on theirs but I really do believe they have some of the best filters on the planet. Recent dyno test of several intake setups show that just a drop in filter from them worked the best

Old 11-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
My dealer sells the OEM air filters for $20 each. There was no sticker shock whatsoever! Our cars take two of them, so total came out to be around $40. It's extremely easy to do them yourself.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
I have used K&N's for years in various vehicles from sports cars to SUV's. They do make a difference. I noticed an immediate increase in gas mileage from 1-2mpg. They also make the intake breathe better. For our cars two are needed so yes it is an initial investment. The other plus is as they get dirty they actually work better. (I know it seems odd) Finally you will never need to replace them but just clean them every 50k or so depending on your driving climate. I avg. around 22mpg with a 50/50 mix of driving and I hammer it on the highway. It really comes down to your budget and preference. A standard filter will work fine and you can save the up-front cost of a K&N. I am sure you will get all kinds of opinions as some swear by K&N's and some don't. Whatever you do just make sure you change them.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Hard to pass up the Napa product at sale price of $5.46. Their propaganda sheet shows 53% more dirt trapped and lasts 40% longer than OEM including their standard damage warranty. I bought an extra set at that price. They appear to be a quality filter (made in S. Korea)

Old 11-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Napa Air filters made in S. Korea? Hmm, hope it's the same good quality as their oil filters. But yes @ $56 a pop for the K&N, and having to buy two of them you're at about half the money for a CAI. Ok not really but close.

I just bought my sedan a week ago and havent decided what I will do as yet, it's in the body shop now getting the exterior buffed out to get rid of the rough feel in some parts. Could have clay bar'd it myself but hey!!! I don't mind forking out a little dough for a professional job

Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM
if K&N can give you better MPG vs. stock since it gives you a better air flow, then how does it compare to a cone filter or an intake system? Wouldn't that give you even better air flow and better MPG? And would it be worth getting just for the MPG?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I can pretty much guarantee these Napa filters will be the most efficient available. At eleven bucks a set I'll maximize the airflow by changing them every year.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by jelloman
if K&N can give you better MPG vs. stock since it gives you a better air flow, then how does it compare to a cone filter or an intake system? Wouldn't that give you even better air flow and better MPG? And would it be worth getting just for the MPG?
Without a doubt the intake system or cone filter would be better and less restrictive. I did drop-in filters due to them being less $$ vs. an intake and I didn't want the louder intake sound that accompanies the intake. The VQ engine sings loud enough on its own.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
i tried a k&n on my last car (2K maxima 5spd). no noticeable affect, except that i had to clean the throttle body six months later (started stalling, rpm drops). coincidence? maybe, but i didn't find it worth it.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by dbal72
Without a doubt the intake system or cone filter would be better and less restrictive. I did drop-in filters due to them being less $$ vs. an intake and I didn't want the louder intake sound that accompanies the intake. The VQ engine sings loud enough on its own.
For the VQ engines its already been tested to where the K&N drop in filter on a revup airbox did better than any other combination out there, second place is the stillen airbox.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:41 PM
so if price is not a problem, K&N drop in filter is going to give you the best gain on MPG? Even over intake system?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I dont know about MPG but performance wise it has been proven a couple weeks ago at a intake dyno event in Dallas.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
K&N ftw, once you experience it you will understand why the higher price compared to others. you pay for what you get for.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jackus
For the VQ engines its already been tested to where the K&N drop in filter on a revup airbox did better than any other combination out there, second place is the stillen airbox.
Interesting...That is good to know! Didn't know about the recent test that was done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: air filter differences