G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

CPO from another state?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPO from another state?

Hi all, been lurking around since I began my search for a new car haha

From what I've been reading on this forum, these cars seem to be fairly reliable. Which is what I need since I drive quite a bit.

I found a 2007 CPO G35X with 32k miles, black/black, and has navigation, back-up camera, adaptive cruise, and I think premium package? I searched on here and found Premium package = Studio on wheels, Auto up/down on all 4 windows, memory seats... correct me if I'm wrong. Still trying to learn as much as possible before I head to the dealer for a test drive.

One thing that worries me is the CarFax. It is a One owner Lease, but says the car was registered in California with 18 miles. nothing else after that. It says registered on 7/17/2007. Should I be worried that this car is from California? CPO does require the car to be in fairly good condition mechanically right? Besides that, the car looks really clean.

What are some things I should look for while test driving the car?
How many keys does it come with?
Does it come with a full matching spare?
What is the AFS button next to the steering wheel?
How much should I offer if its ok to get this car?

Thanks all for your inputs!

Old 11-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
sounds legit, u are correct about the premium pkg plus it has many other goodies like heated seats etc.

the carfax seems ok, 1 guy got it with 18 on the odo and then gave it back to dealer so sounds ok. CPO SHOULD be in a fairly good condition

-should come with2 i-keys
-it comes with a thin donut spare
-AFS=adaptive front headlights system, it moves ur headlights at night when you make turns to better light up ur path.
-offer depends on ur areas general value/demand for the car and many other factors, how much is dealer askin for?

Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
-I should come with 2 keys at least
-full matching? As in same as the OEM wheels? If so no
-AFS is the headlights I believe. The headlights follow into the corners.
-Hmmm i'm not sure what to offer because I got my car for 23k for a 29,xxx 2007 G35S.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 AM
thanks for the replies.

The dealer has it listed for $26.995 I'm located in Jersey.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 AM
What they both said above. Take the carfax with a grain of salt. Also, even if it is CPO it could have been involved in a minor fender bender. Make sure you check it over really well.

If you have looked at the car and are ok with it, and since the documentation is clean...BUY IT!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Yea Carfax won't have have EVERY single incident recorded. So don't rely on Carfax so much. Is it from a smaller dealership or from a big dealership?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 AM
it's a fairly big dealership. they own several other car manufacturer dealerships as well.

yea i've heard carfax doesn't give everything just a little. but just thought it was weird that the car was originally registered in California but is being sold in jersey as a cpo haha.

how much should I offer? I'm thinking 24k?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM
My car was registered in florida, but sold to me in Georgia. Just try to low ball the hell out of him haha

Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 AM
haha what would a "good" low ball be? 22k seems to be way too low haha so maybe 23k?

do these cars cost a lot maintenance wise?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by HJ22L
Hi all, been lurking around since I began my search for a new car haha

From what I've been reading on this forum, these cars seem to be fairly reliable. Which is what I need since I drive quite a bit.

I found a 2007 CPO G35X with 32k miles, black/black, and has navigation, back-up camera, adaptive cruise, and I think premium package? I searched on here and found Premium package = Studio on wheels, Auto up/down on all 4 windows, memory seats... correct me if I'm wrong. Still trying to learn as much as possible before I head to the dealer for a test drive.

One thing that worries me is the CarFax. It is a One owner Lease, but says the car was registered in California with 18 miles. nothing else after that. It says registered on 7/17/2007. Should I be worried that this car is from California? CPO does require the car to be in fairly good condition mechanically right? Besides that, the car looks really clean.

What are some things I should look for while test driving the car?
How many keys does it come with?
Does it come with a full matching spare?
What is the AFS button next to the steering wheel?
How much should I offer if its ok to get this car?

Thanks all for your inputs!
The things you should look for when test driving are that the wheels track straight, and there is no vibration when you go on highway speeds, or even lower speeds.

Check the oil filler cap and shine a light down the engine. You should not see any sludge. Also, make sure the car doesn't vibrate when idle. Also, ask them for past service records of this car. It should have gone through 30k mile service if it was a leased car. Make sure all paint matches around the car. You can easily spot if there has been a repainting job when the car has been in an accident. Also, check the wear and tear of the leather seats, brake pad wear, and tire tread wear. Make sure the engine doesn't have any weird sounds (squeaking, ticking, clunking, etc.) Also, check the serpentine belts to see if they are worn. Mine wore out around 35k and the dealer replaced them free under warranty.

Carfax is really unreliable nowadays. A lot of owners also pay the damage out of pocket to autobody shops so insurance companies don't find out. When nobody finds out= it won't be on carfax.

You can still CPO a car that has been in an accident.

It doesn't come with a full spare tire; it's a temporary one.

The AFS button is not next to the steering wheel; it is next to the trunk button and VDC control buttons. That controls your headlights which turn when you turn the steering wheel.

Your car has the tech package (because it has AFS and backup camera on the 2007). Therefore, it has the Premium package AND the navigation package (which are required for the tech pacakge.)

Since it's a CPO car, it should come with 2 sets of keys. If not, the dealer can provide another new programmed key.

Due to the lack of service records, and we don't know how the previous owner treated the car (oil change intervals, brake pads), I would probably go for around 21-22k.

I bought my car with Tech, wood, Navi, Premium 2007 G35x sedan in Jersey for 28k last year in May 2009. It only had 21k miles and the dealer provided all the service records. The dealer even agreed to repaint my bumper because there were slight scratches from parallel parking, I assume. This was at Ramsey Infiniti. My car was first bought at Kings Infiniti in NY (from the service records.) Ray Catena Infiniti of Bridgewater and the one in Edison tried to screw me over by offering much higher prices (30k-31k) and the car had a smokey smell from the previous owner smoking cigarettes.

Does your car have the wood package? (Do you see wood accents, or is it all silver accents?) The 2007 g35 sedans with Tech packages are very rare to find. I can probably find maybe 2 or 3 in a 100 mile radius in New Jersey.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 11-22-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:47 PM
it does not have wood just the silverish trim which apparently is suppose to simulate Japanese paper texture wise?

The one I'm looking at is from Infiniti of Denville. I'll have to email the sales department and see what they'll offer in terms of price.

what dealers have you used for service? Do they all offer a loaner regardless of where you bought the car?

What is the warranty on CPO cars? I head its 6 years/100k miles from in-service date? so thats when the vehicle was first registered right?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by HJ22L
it does not have wood just the silverish trim which apparently is suppose to simulate Japanese paper texture wise?

The one I'm looking at is from Infiniti of Denville. I'll have to email the sales department and see what they'll offer in terms of price.

what dealers have you used for service? Do they all offer a loaner regardless of where you bought the car?

What is the warranty on CPO cars? I head its 6 years/100k miles from in-service date? so thats when the vehicle was first registered right?
I usually use my closest dealer for service- Ray Catena Infiniti of Bridgewater. They have excellent customer service and they offer loaner cars even if you didn't purchase your vehicle from them. Most dealers do. I usually choose the dealers with the "award of excellence" symbol from Infiniti Corporate. When I took my car in to Ramsey Infiniti for a free first oil change, they dented my fender but denied any responsibility. They even had checked my car before the service and noted any damage and had me sign the damage report before they had taken the car in. The dent wasn't listed or depicted when they had me sign the form. When they brought the car back out, I immediately noticed a dent in my fender that they didn't note earlier. I assumed they made the dent because we walked around the car before the car was taken in for service and noted each damage/scratch/dent. They refused to fix my dent, and I had to pay for the fix myself. I never went back to this dealer ever again and would not recommend anyone to go to this dealer for any type of service. They even had the audacity to tell me that it was probably there before and that they didn't catch it. They even told me to walk around the dealer and tell them what object in their lot impacted my car.

The warranty is 6 years/100k miles from the date the car was FIRST purchased from the original owner. However, it probably only warranties the engine/powertrain only. Check with your dealer, because every dealer has different parts that are warrantied. I turned down CPO because I realized the only extra thing I get with CPO was a 30k mile warranty. Your car already comes with a 6 year/70k mile warranty on engine and powertrain and 4 year/60k bumper to bumper coverage except wear and tear items. Even the dealer told me it wasn't worth going for it because you only get a slightly better warranty. The CPO warranty, IMO, is a fluke. You only get an extra 30k miles, but that's only if you drive a lot, because both warranties expire within 6 years from the original owner's purchase date. The cost of CPO is roughly 2k more. The dealer also told me that these cars last way more than 100k miles, so I don't have to worry about engine problems until way past the warranty expires. The CPO warranty also probably includes just a little bit more, but I doubt they will warranty things that break down easily. Your car should last much longer than 100k miles, if anything. I've never heard of a car having major problems below 100k miles, except for a very select few on this forum. Most of these cars will not develop any engine trouble until well past 100k.

The 2007 G35x sedan you're looking at probably has its warranty about to expire for bumper to bumper coverage. The bumper to bumper coverage covers everything in the car, including your electronics, but except wear and tear items like brakes, etc.

I have bought a 2004 Infiniti I35 from Infiniti of Denville before. They were pretty good, but Ray Catena definitely gave me a better service experience. Also, the dealer is bigger. I also visited Infiniti of Denville when I was trying to get a used 2007 G35x sedan. They had a couple, but they didn't have one with the tech package. Their prices were definitely higher than some other dealers around. I suggest you search around for other dealerships and compare prices. If you really want the tech package that badly, then see if there's another dealer that has one and compare prices.

Tech package, IMO, isn't really worth it, even though I have it. I rarely use the adaptive cruise control, and the AFS is more of a gimmick than anything. You're better off getting a 2008 G35x sedan with Nav, because that also comes with the rearview camera. The only thing that is different between the 2007 G35x sedan with Tech and the 2008 G35x with Navi is that the 2007 model has the adaptive cruise control and the AFS. The 2008 model G35x sedan has the Ipod connector standard and Bose Driver's stage audio, which the 2007 sedan doesn't. You can probably find one with the same (or lower) miles cheaper than a 2007 G35x sedan with Tech. Not to mention you get an extra year of warranty and the car is newer. If you use a radar detector, the laser cruise control may set off a laser warning constantly, especially with the Valentine One.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 11-22-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I work right by Ray Catena Infiniti in Bridgewater. Only problem is, they don't have the one I want haha. I want one with the navigation and back up camera. I'm pretty sure I qualify for it. Does anyone know if they'll have better deals after thanksgiving?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok I just bought a 2007 CPO Sedan 6MT/ Prem/Nav/Tech for $25,999 from JimColeman Infiniti in MD, it had 30,900 miles. Note my location, yes i drove 12 hrs to get it. I didn't try to negotiate the price because cars in my area were going for $25988 without the Tech package, and not certified.

It won't be in perfect condition so if something needs to get replaced, nicely ask them to do it, if not then after you buy it take it to your local dealer and they will replace it. I just took mine Saturday to my local dealer to get drivers side arm-rest pull replaced, as well as the guage cluster trim. Mind you I still have temp dealer plates from MD displayed on my car since its only been 2 weeks. No problems with getting the work done. (1 1/2hr)

As for registration, its common for a dealer to register a leased car in one state and operate in another state, what is weird however is the fact that you only found one entry after 3 yrs. It should have at least another registration renewal listed. Might be nothing, but stranger nonetheless.

Price? Offer $25K and see what they say. GL

Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
If I buy a G from a dealership other than Infiniti, do I still get the remainder of the original warranty?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CPO from another state?