G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35s vs. Sport Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010 | 02:56 PM
|
G35s vs. Sport Package

Hey everyone, new poster here. I'm looking to buy a used G35...been looking around for a while and absolutely love the car. I've done plenty of homework, but I still have a question that I'm hoping the experts on this board can answer.

The specific car that I'm thinking of buying has one point that confuses me. The dealer says that it's a 2008 auto trans car with a sport package. And it has an "S" badge on the trunk. However, it doesn't appear to have any of the trappings that come with the sport package: no shift paddles, no sport seats, etc.

What am I buying here? What does it mean to be a "G35S" if the car doesn't appear to have a sport package?

Old 12-01-2010 | 04:25 PM
It's probably a fake if no: paddles, sport seats, sport bumper/sideskirts, wheels, and brakes. Those are the visual clues.

Old 12-01-2010 | 04:27 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
^my 1st thought as well.
Someone added the S badge.

Old 12-01-2010 | 04:31 PM
^^ Agreed

Old 12-01-2010 | 04:40 PM
-MN G Crew-
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
Link to car??

Old 12-01-2010 | 09:16 PM
^+1 upload the link and then a bunch of us can flood the seller/dealer with emails citing it as fraud! that should help fix up the listing and bring down the price.

Old 12-01-2010 | 11:40 PM
Tell the dealers it's not a sport. If the dealer is saying that, Just call them Dumb to their face. They should do their HW on these cars so they can sell it and give the right info to the customers. Sport should have i think 19" rims if i am correct. Not too sure. Maybe both 18 and 19". Paddle shifter is a must. The bumper too is different. I am not too sure on others. Here is a link of this one and even though it says coupe, it a sedan. This dealer is a dumb*ss as well. But it should like like this

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/inf...i&distance=any

Old 12-02-2010 | 01:57 AM
|
I have to say I appreciate the answers, and the willingness to help drive the price down. In all honesty, I don't think the dealer is trying to cheat me out of anything, and they've not expended any effort to try to tell me the vehicle is in fact a sport package or use that as leverage in negotiations. It was just a hasty initial listing and perhaps a not-entirely-true teaser to get people in the door. It's not been a problem...I was just curious how the S badge got on there, and what it meant.

As a follow-up question if anyone is in an answering mood, should I place emphasis on finding a sport package? I'm interested in a sporty vehicle, but I've read reviews that suggest the ride on the Sport is a bit harsh, and for someone that does lots of long highway driving in addition to whatever twisties I can find, I'm thinking I might actually prefer the more comfortable seats and the more compliant ride.

Is the difference in ride quality as noticeable as the reviews seem to indicate? And how noticeable is the difference in performance? Again, not looking to race the car, just want a sporty daily driver that can do 500-mile highway trips with some regularity. Should I emphasize finding a sport package?

Old 12-02-2010 | 08:52 AM
The price difference for a Sport vs non-sport shouldn't be too much and you get quite a bit more on the S. Definately try out a "true" S G35 since some don't like the seat comfort. Acceleration from point A to point B is pretty much the same, the S does have a stiffer suspension but not overly so. You get nicer rims, paddle shifters & improved brakes (although the stock brakes are pretty darn good). Both are great cars but the S does have nice improvements over the non-S, and if you can find a clean one in your price point I'd get one.

Old 12-02-2010 | 09:08 AM
If I see wrong badging on a car, the first thing that comes to my mind is that it has been in a previous accident. It is amazing how many times I have seen badges and/or logos in the wrong location because the repair company didnt know what they were doing. You might look very closely to see if this has happened on this car.

I love my sport. The ride is not too firm at all. My 88 year old grandma even commented how nice it rode on the highway the other day. Personally, I dont like the front bumpers on the non-sports and every time I have a loaner with the non-sport seats they feel terrible.

Old 12-02-2010 | 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Tell the dealers it's not a sport. If the dealer is saying that, Just call them Dumb to their face. They should do their HW on these cars so they can sell it and give the right info to the customers. Sport should have i think 19" rims if i am correct. Not too sure. Maybe both 18 and 19". Paddle shifter is a must. The bumper too is different. I am not too sure on others. Here is a link of this one and even though it says coupe, it a sedan. This dealer is a dumb*ss as well. But it should like like this
You need to do your HW too before giving out advice like that

Old 12-02-2010 | 11:08 AM
^^^ well, i am still learning about these cars. If you notice on how i wrote that i was not to sure of myself.

Old 12-02-2010 | 11:38 AM
|
This car also appears to have the rims from the sport package. Here's a link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=290123463

So it seems the dealer did some kind of "sport appearance" package just for the exterior? Still trying to decide if I should pass this one up for a true sport package. I know I won't use the paddle shifters much, so that's not a big bonus for me. Is the extra braking power and handling worth paying for? Or waiting for, since I can't seem to find a low-mileage sport package in my area at the moment?

EDIT: Please do not "flood the seller/dealer with emails citing it as fraud" as one poster suggested. I appreciate the offer to help, but the dealer has been more than friendly so I'm not trying to cause problems.

Old 12-02-2010 | 11:55 AM
If I remember correctly the S came with a viscous diff right?

Do you live in Georgia btw? The Roswell dealership is 30 minutes away from my house

Last edited by apexi957; 12-02-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:10 PM
As I just purchased an Xs I can tell you that this car has some funny things about it.

1) The wheels are correct for the Sport package.
2) The car has the Sport Seats. You can tell by the extra side bolster adj on the left front edge of the drivers seat.
3) The car does not look like it has the Paddle Shifters. (STRANGE)
4) The car does not look like it has the upgraded Sport Brakes (STRANGE) This option only exists on the RWD sport.
5) The S badge can be purchased for like 20 bucks on line so dont get fooled by that.
6) In theory the car should handle better than a normal G35 as it will have the upgraded Sway bars on the RWD sport. It should be noticable.

This car is just wierd.

How or why would it not come with the brakes and shifters???

Why would someone put the sport seats in a non sport?
Thats got to be alot of work. I mean the wheels and the badge are easy. But the seats thats some money.

Also I was not aware you could buy parts of the sport package.

Just some info for you. Good luck.. The car seems pretty wierd to me though. Parts of the sport package but not everything. Could mean alot or it could mean nothing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35s vs. Sport Package