G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

AMG Powered Infinitis'?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG Powered Infinitis'?

This would be interesting.... No more VQ dominance??

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=254415

Infiniti's hot models could carry ‘Powered by AMG’ badges as part of Nissan’s recent tie-up with the Daimler group, sources in Japan have suggested.

Nissan’s luxury arm is considering all options for the Infiniti Performance Line, from mere styling add-ons to full-blown hot models built on the main production line. But the latter option is said to be more in tune with the brand’s stated ambition to be recognised for its dynamics and performance.

One powerplant on the shortlist is Mercedes’ forthcoming turbocharged 3.5-litre V6. It would replace Nissan’s venerable 3.7-litre unit in Infiniti’s G range and could be tweaked to produce up to 400bhp.

Sources say the IPL version of the M, Infiniti’s 5-series rival, could end up using AMG’s 6.2-litre V8 — and be priced north of £60,000. That would allow the M IPL to undercut the E63 AMG but rival Jaguar’s XFR on price.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
damn, i better start saving my money now! very interesting.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
damn, this is awesome.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
It'll never happen. IMO, people don't look at Infiniti as a "performance" brand and instead shop for an M, "real" AMG, or a RS for performance, especially at that price point.

I can only think of the McLaren F1 (off the top of my head) as the only non-Merc production car using an AMG motor.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
It'll never happen. IMO, people don't look at Infiniti as a "performance" brand and instead shop for an M, "real" AMG, or a RS for performance, especially at that price point.

I can only think of the McLaren F1 (off the top of my head) as the only non-Merc production car using an AMG motor.
I think the Pagani Zonda also uses the AMG motor.

Also i want to say a few other small supercar makers use the AMG engines.

Who knows if it will happen but its interesting. I agree Infiniti needs to grow up in this arena, but if they put out a car with the performance of the GTR then everyone will have to at least pay attention.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride

i agree for the most part. people w/ money shopping for a benz will pay the premium for those cars. however, someone like myself who can't afford a 100k+ E63 might be interested in a 70k infiniti w/ the same exact powerplant. well, i still can't afford a 70k car but you get my point.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know why yall are gtn excited, how much you think this new car will cost? If you're prepared to pay that price might as well go get the GTR, if you can live with an Auto/Stick

Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by CerveloR3-SL
I think the Pagani Zonda also uses the AMG motor.

Also i want to say a few other small supercar makers use the AMG engines.

Who knows if it will happen but its interesting. I agree Infiniti needs to grow up in this arena, but if they put out a car with the performance of the GTR then everyone will have to at least pay attention.
Good catch, forgot about Pagani. They're so small that they almost can't be called "production."

Originally Posted by cremaster
i agree for the most part. people w/ money shopping for a benz will pay the premium for those cars. however, someone like myself who can't afford a 100k+ E63 might be interested in a 70k infiniti w/ the same exact powerplant. well, i still can't afford a 70k car but you get my point.
True. However, the market for cars in that 75-100k price range has the already "well established" brands I mentioned. I would be hesitant to purchase a brand with a model "new" to that segment, but I'm sure people will consider it. With a CTS-V in the price range mentioned in that article, I'd be hard pressed to buy an Infiniti over the Cadi, even though the Cadi interior isn't up to par with others in that range. The Cadi is the bargain buy in that segment IMO, with the best performance to boot.

Originally Posted by gtbigup01
I don't know why yall are gtn excited, how much you think this new car will cost? If you're prepared to pay that price might as well go get the GTR, if you can live with an Auto/Stick
Some people need 4 doors and a usable back seat

Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM
yeah, i would LOVE to get into a CTS-V. best bang for the buck but i wonder how many, if any, kinks the new one has.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by cremaster
yeah, i would LOVE to get into a CTS-V. best bang for the buck but i wonder how many, if any, kinks the new one has.
Although I take TV shows/mag results with a "grain of salt," the CTS-V destroyed the C63 on "Battle of the supercars."

Wasn't even funny, nor close. The mag ride suspension of the CTS-V is no joke either. I, personally, could live with a slightly sub par interior for superior performance.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Coming from an 07 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - I like the 400hp range. More than that is jsut excess. As for MERC/AMG - I would like to see the combination of Japanese and German mixed into a value ratio blend. More power, Infiniti dealer service (I greatly dislike most BMW and Merc dealers), and sub 100k pricing. You can load a 335 up to almost 70k. Also - a recent report on Mercedes shows their average discount for 2010 YTD is around 8-15k. That is huge - and very telling.

Plus - we are heading into a few years with double digit inflation - so I think even the wealthy are looking for deals - regardless of brand.

E-ticket - you can do a lot to an interior for a little - whereas performance upgrades can be limited and expensive. SO the CTS-V is a good middle ground...

Old 12-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I just dont' see why. Nissan just spent a ton of $ on the new HR varible valvetrain and if Nissan needs a boosted V6, they can derive it from the GTR powertrain. Need a V8? Use the newly released 5.6

Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
[QUOTE=E-Ticket Ride;5521583

Some people need 4 doors and a usable back seat [/QUOTE]

Yea i forgot that part

Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I just dont' see why. Nissan just spent a ton of $ on the new HR varible valvetrain and if Nissan needs a boosted V6, they can derive it from the GTR powertrain. Need a V8? Use the newly released 5.6
I am not sure I would say AMG engines qualify as a NEED item.

Have you ever driven a new AMG vehicle.?

I drove my Uncles SL55 AMG and when I floored it the car felt like it was reversing the earths rotation.

Unbelieveable torque and power.

They are beautiful engines. Put in a reliable Infiniti car and chasis would be pretty sweet.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
How big of a motor is in the SL55? The combo isn't terribly difficult to duplicate. Big displacement with big boost. Something that Nissan could do with the HR37 or their V8 5.6

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Powered Infinitis'?