G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Installed the backup camera in my non navi G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed the backup camera in my non navi G

Well, my wife kidnapped my 08 G that had nav and after complaining about missing my car, she finally agreed to me getting another G and selling my truck. Yes, our driveway is starting to look like an Infiniti dealership!!

So I found a G I liked, but it is a non nav model (07) and I really missed that backup camera from the other G. At night backing up with my tinted windows felt a little dangerous.

So, after some research on here, I did the *cough* mod, and then installed a boyo license plate camera I got on Amazon.

The install was kind of a PITA, but I took my time and it worked out pretty good. I wired it to the reverse light for power and drilled a small hole to plug in the video rca plug in the center console. (I hadn't done this yet for the pic below). I also bought some anti-theft screws. Thanks to the DIY thread on here about this install. It was very helpful!

The nice thing is the picture looks good and from more than a few feet away, it is nearly impossible to see the license plate frame has a little camera.
Also, the camera angle can be adjusted up and down.

Drawbacks? Well, I miss the guidance lines from the nav model, and I have to press aux to see the camera view before backing up. I also hope the camera holds up over time with all the rain, sun, etc...that we get down here.

Onto the pics!!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Looks great man I may do this for my car!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good, one questions is the camera always on? just have to put you display on AUX.

What if you're driving can you put see the camera if you put it on AUX?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would guess no since he tapped into reverse light. Meaning, he'd only have power when reverse lights come on...

Old 12-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ very nicely done, looks like OEM and is really not noticeable from a short distance.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
that camera has no guiadance markers and was probably overpriced, for $80 remmyzero and I got one with guidance lines and pretty decent quality. I suggest you all look for the thread in the electronics for it. IMO, having one without distance markers kind of defeats the purpose (no hate to the OP)

Old 12-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Nice man !

Old 12-11-2010, 07:05 PM
^ sat sri akal

Old 12-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by samsizzle
^ sat sri akal
Lol whats up man

Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Definitely cool!

Got any pics of both cars together?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great work! I've been comptemplating on the same boyo frame/camera myself.. that and the lock pick barcam that has the dist markers and is cheaper, but i believe the quality is likely of lesser quality (cmos).

A few questions:

- where did you tap into the reverse lights? it looked to me that the power leads on the cable were on the video/aux side, which is rather far from the lights themselves.

- is the video bypass necessary? if i recall correctly that vid should work as long its under 5mph? (ie, within parking speed)

Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comatose
- is the video bypass necessary? if i recall correctly that vid should work as long its under 5mph? (ie, within parking speed)
this... I thought the aux won't work unless the ebrake was engaged? i may be wrong though.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by atoor1990
Lol whats up man
got the same last name as you haha where you from

Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 AM
Great work! I've been comptemplating on the same boyo frame/camera myself.. that and the lock pick barcam that has the dist markers and is cheaper, but i believe the quality is likely of lesser quality (cmos).

A few questions:

- where did you tap into the reverse lights? it looked to me that the power leads on the cable were on the video/aux side, which is rather far from the lights themselves.

i have it and the quality is fine for the use (even at night) its not like its flickering or anything and it isnt on all day. The guidance markers will save you if you get too close to a car versus having to always guess how close you are. I can vouch that it is worth every penny, but to each his own. I dont work for the company nor care to boast excessively about them

Old 12-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few questions:

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!
I tapped into the reverse lights at the wires in the top of the trunk. You are right....I had to run 2 wires all the way back to them from the center console. I have the dinged up hands to prove it!

I did the bypass not just for this...but at the time was contemplating the Garmin 53.

Sizzle: If I had seen the thread with the distance markers I would've gotten that one. However, I gotten pretty quickly used to the one I bought and can drive up VERY close to an object comfortably. (Mine is angled down quite a bit).

I'll be sure to post a thread of the 2 G35's head to head!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed the backup camera in my non navi G