G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

My G35xS in the snow vs. My A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I'd imagine the quattro system is different depending on trim line? Anyone know what the A4 quattro has? In the Subaru line, I think the run-of-the mill cars have open differentials front and back. The WRX has a rear LSD. The STi has LSD front and rear. Definitely tire size and car weight makes a big difference also. The A4 is smaller but similar weight to a G35 and also has narrower tires.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This seems to be fairly accurate on the evolution of the Quattro AWD System:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro..._drive_system)

My experience was with the Gen IV. Although I have no drivng experience in the Quattro Haldex systems (TT and A3), IMO the Torsen Quatto systems (all other current Audis) are far superior.

Last edited by jessefrank; 01-09-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice comparison, good to hear that the G can match up

Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Good to see most have similar views on the AWD system. Like I mentioned at the beginning of my thread; at the worst conditions I do miss the Quattro some, but for all four seasons the "G" is a much better driving car. The AWD system in the Quattro is constantly evolving as I think the Audi engineers are starting to listen to customers as now the power is primarily going to the rear wheels and can move wheel-to-wheel and side-to-side as needed. A few years back (Unless you had an S4) it was 50/50 power at all times until wheel slip was detected. I will say tires play a big part as well. I remember my first quattro (1998 A4) and it had all-season tires on it and no skid-control system. I could spin that back end around so easily I put winter tires on it and it made a huge difference. I am sure most everyone here knows the difference in any car with snow tires.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Audi's are horrible cars, will never buy one again. 08 a4 2.0 burns a QT every 600 miles, had 5 consumption tests done at 3 dealers. Audi Midwest rep says that is within tolerance. Last dealer told me you can expect that from a high performance engine, 200hp is high performance. I know this is way off this topic, but anytime i see Audi i take the opportunity to mother F them. SO F YOU Audi

Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 PM
I'd have to second what others here are saying. My last car was a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT. My current car is a 2007 G35x purchased in the fall of 2010.

I drove my Subaru for 10 upstate NY winters with all season tires. I could start from a stop in snow on a ~20 degree incline on my test track (my unplowed driveway).

While the G35x is competent in the snow the oversteer can be a problem. After our first snowstorm of the winter I felt compelled to get snow tires instead of all season tires (I had mastercraft avengers, they came with the car). Even driving conservatively in snow mode the rear didn't have enough traction on ice or polished hardpack for tight turns. I got Blizzak WS60s and the car has been great.

The G35x could start just fine on the previously mention inclined test track with both all season and winter tires. It was just on the turns, e.g. turning from a side street onto a busy road while the road was icy, that the G35x rear would tend to swing wide.

The attached pick is the 2007 G35x w/Blizzak WS60s and the 12" of snow it just plowed through.

Bottom line: The Subaru felt more solid and controlled. The G35x is more than capable with winter tires, and it's more fun to goof around in at your local empty parking lot.

Attached Thumbnails My G35xS in the snow vs. My A4 Quattro-attesa-ets_blizzak_test_pass_800x600.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I also think Audi's Quattro is a much better choice in severe weather compared to ours

Old 01-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better is subjective.

No fun = no better for me.

Little tailing under controll = fun

Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by tg1234
Better is subjective.

No fun = no better for me.

Little tailing under controll = fun
^ +1...

I agree. Hence why I no longer drive an Audi. A few posts up I see someone complaining about the 2.0 Audi engine and oil consumption. Audi has had issues for years with that motor. When it was the 1.8 they had sludge issues and it has continued into the 2.0. When I was I member of Audi Forum there were numerous people bitchin about engine issues on the 1.8 & 2.0. My "G" on the other hand has been rock solid for reliability. I have put 25,000 miles on it so far (currently at 43,000) and other than oil changes and routine maint. I have had zero issues. Love that...

Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
my x is the best car ive ever had in the snow

Old 01-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbal72
^ +1...

I agree. Hence why I no longer drive an Audi. A few posts up I see someone complaining about the 2.0 Audi engine and oil consumption. Audi has had issues for years with that motor. When it was the 1.8 they had sludge issues and it has continued into the 2.0. When I was I member of Audi Forum there were numerous people bitchin about engine issues on the 1.8 & 2.0. My "G" on the other hand has been rock solid for reliability. I have put 25,000 miles on it so far (currently at 43,000) and other than oil changes and routine maint. I have had zero issues. Love that...
Said because I actually like the design of the new Audi. Not really much the interior but the exterior looks good. Not sure if I would ever own one.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I have had 2 Subaru's in the past. Last car was a 05 Outback XT(turbo) with about 320hp. I was worried about the X's AWD and its been a love/hate. It gets the job done as in I dont get stuck, but in slippery conditions it is far less predictable then the subaru AWD. I am getting used to the G but snow mode/no snow mode/speed/steering angle/Stability-traction control throw so many variables into the equation that I can't predict how the AWD is going to take the next corner. To me it works but its not as much fun. The subaru I could pitch into a corne to fast and drift it around the corner predictably every time.

If I could go back 3 months I would have told myself to buy Blizzak's instead of new All-Season's

I was seriously considering a B7 S4 instead of this car, and I am already eyeing the B8 S4 as a replacement in a couple years...but with Audi its just an expensive idea all around.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by schwartzki
...but with Audi its just an expensive idea all around.
As an A4 (B7 quattro) driver looking to get in to a G35, I couldn't agree more!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by schwartzki
I have had 2 Subaru's in the past. Last car was a 05 Outback XT(turbo) with about 320hp. I was worried about the X's AWD and its been a love/hate. It gets the job done as in I dont get stuck, but in slippery conditions it is far less predictable then the subaru AWD. I am getting used to the G but snow mode/no snow mode/speed/steering angle/Stability-traction control throw so many variables into the equation that I can't predict how the AWD is going to take the next corner. To me it works but its not as much fun. The subaru I could pitch into a corne to fast and drift it around the corner predictably every time.

If I could go back 3 months I would have told myself to buy Blizzak's instead of new All-Season's

I was seriously considering a B7 S4 instead of this car, and I am already eyeing the B8 S4 as a replacement in a couple years...but with Audi its just an expensive idea all around.
This is dead on. The AWD on my Subaru was far more predictable and gave me a lot more confidence when screwing around sliding sideways, etc. I would routinely throw that car sideways around corners in the winter, just for the hell of it.

With my G35, it seems to be more of a terrifying experience and much more difficult to control slides. I only mess around in the G when I have a TON of room, like an unplowed parking lot, whereas I had no issues drifting in snow in my Subaru down city streets.

The G35X definitely has no issues getting through snow, and if you leave the VDC on it's pretty much unstoppable with snow tires and the computer will keep you pointed in the right direction... it's just not as predictable or smooth as Subaru's AWD system when you want to drive like a deranged teenager.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by msu2001la
This is dead on. The AWD on my Subaru was far more predictable and gave me a lot more confidence when screwing around sliding sideways, etc. I would routinely throw that car sideways around corners in the winter, just for the hell of it.

With my G35, it seems to be more of a terrifying experience and much more difficult to control slides. I only mess around in the G when I have a TON of room, like an unplowed parking lot, whereas I had no issues drifting in snow in my Subaru down city streets.

The G35X definitely has no issues getting through snow, and if you leave the VDC on it's pretty much unstoppable with snow tires and the computer will keep you pointed in the right direction... it's just not as predictable or smooth as Subaru's AWD system when you want to drive like a deranged teenager.
In a snowstorm in a Subaru its just to much fun not to drive like a deranged teenager.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My G35xS in the snow vs. My A4 Quattro