G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

prospective 2008 G35 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prospective 2008 G35 owner

hey guys, i'm close to purchasing a 2008 G35 sedan, most likely either in black/gray/blue slate..

the models i'm looking at have anywhere between 35K and 45K miles with premium packages..

i've been browsing the forums for about a week and some common issues that seem to pop up are the trim on steering wheel/door chipping and brake judder.. are there any other things/potential problems i should look out for when i'm getting ready to buy the car?

thanks for the help, i look fwd to joining you guys soon!

PS
acura gave me a TL to take home and do an extended test drive with... returned it the next day cause i hated it. i'm in love with the G though...

Old 01-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
LOL! Lucky you that you got the extended test drive w/ the TL. I test drove the TL type S and hated it also. Then i want w/ the G.

The only common issue i had was the steering wheel/door chipping. that was it. I fixed the door pulls myself and i need to work on my steering wheel. What i did to the door pulls is i took all 4 off and sanded it down and painted the same color as the car. I did this to the trim and center console to match everything. It looks a lot better.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM
the car i saw had some serious scratching on the shift ****, has anyone else experienced that or tried to get warranty to cover it? thanks!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is brake judder? Please define....

Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Here's a link to one of several posts on brake judder:
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-bra...r-tsb-fix.html

I had the brake judder fix performed on my car about a month ago at 25k miles...only time will tell if it holds up or resurfaces.

For the trim, I just bought my G round Thanksgiving and the trim chipping/peeling/excessive wear was an issue on EVERY CAR I LOOKED AT. My car was rather minor and a semi local dealer (9 hrs away) agreed to replace the trim (I never ended up getting it done because i couldn't get the parts in when I had the car there...and 9 hrs away is a little far). I've heard it depends on the dealer if they will replace scratched/worn trim pieces...some stealerships you'll have luck with, some not. The infiniti dealer I bought my car from was giving me a run around when I purchased the car.

As bluedevils95 said you can always DIY it. Since I didn't want to drive 350+ miles to my closest dealer just to have them inspect the trim then order it nor have my car towed there and be w/o it for god knows how long..I refinished mine before xmas and I love it thus far! Being new I wasn't able to post in the DIY section, but I guess once I build up some post #s, I'll post up a small DIY on it. I used black bedliner spray coating...gives it a textured look similar to the other textured plastics in the vehicle and yea...waaaayyy more scratch/chip resistant! If you get a car with black interior and your trim isn't gouged the bare plastic under the painted soft touch coating is actually black. If you carefully remove all the black coating and the tan/gray primer (what you see on all the worn/scratched/chipped trim), you get to smooth, black plastic. ArmorAll that and you should be GTG. Mine was damaged/scratched through the gray primer (some I accidently did with some sand paper ) so i went ahead an coated it.