G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Ark Grip exhaust installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ark Grip exhaust installed!

I got my first (of many I'm sure!) mod under my belt this Saturday when I swapped my stock exhaust for an Ark Grip catback system. I couldn't be happier! I love the way it looks and sounds! It might just be the placebo effect, but I swear my car seems faster now too. Also, I checked my gas mileage on my way to and from the shop (I live in Berkeley, got it installed in East L.A.) and I got 1.2 mpg better with the Ark than I did with the stock. That might have something to do with the fact that I was hauling a$$ the whole way down, but slowed it down on the way home after getting a ticket for 87 in a 65 just north of L.A., but I'm going to stick with the story that my new exhaust is improving my gas mileage as well as giving me a total chub every time I accelerate!

Thanks to J2S2M for selling me this great exhaust and setting everything up and to the guys at R&D Factory in Montebello for the quick (40 minutes for the swap) and quality job they did! My Droid is having issues uploading pictures to the net right now, but I will post them (and possibly some sound clips) soon!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats. I'm shopping for an exhaust now. I'm really interested in a sound clip!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Here's a link to the sale thread in the marketplace:

https://g35driver.com/forums/2nd-gen...07-sedans.html

Jason has a couple of youtube videos posted where you can hear how it sounded on his car. As he says in the ad, though, it sounds much sexier in person! I even had a couple guys in a new Sti flag me down yesterday to compliment me on the sound

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Congrats man! I've been eyeing this exhaust, too, just waiting for the funds! Was there any in-cabin noise during the long drive?

On another note, why the long drive all the way to LA to get it installed? (I used to live in Berkeley, now in San Jose!)

Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by SouthBeachG35
Here's a link to the sale thread in the marketplace:

https://g35driver.com/forums/2nd-gen...07-sedans.html

Jason has a couple of youtube videos posted where you can hear how it sounded on his car. As he says in the ad, though, it sounds much sexier in person! I even had a couple guys in a new Sti flag me down yesterday to compliment me on the sound
Hmm, I am concerned about the last part of your post. The STI guys around here have more rice than a carry out. I am so past that.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by jbendo
Congrats man! I've been eyeing this exhaust, too, just waiting for the funds! Was there any in-cabin noise during the long drive?

On another note, why the long drive all the way to LA to get it installed? (I used to live in Berkeley, now in San Jose!)
I was actually shocked as to how quiet it was on the drive back. I actually stopped and listened a couple of times on the way back and couldn't even hear the exhaust when I had my cruise set at around 85. It seems to be pleasantly quiet when cruising, but nice and loud when you're accelerating, either from a stop, or at highway speeds.

I made the drive down to LA because of the deal and convenience. He was offering it for a lot less than new, plus he wanted to trade me for my stock exhaust. I am living in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 girls right now, and no storage space, so if I'd bought one new and had it installed I would have a.) spent 3x as much, and b.) had no place to store my stock exhaust, and probably would have just given it to whatever shop installed my new one. Overall it was the best fit for me at this time, and since I love driving the G, taking a day trip wasn't a big deal!

Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 AM
Originally Posted by AntonioWright
Hmm, I am concerned about the last part of your post. The STI guys around here have more rice than a carry out. I am so past that.
Haha, I can see that being the case some of the time! I have a buddy with an STi and have gone to some meet-ups with him and the other STi guys, and I can honestly say that they are the most pretentious, self-inflated, "my-car-is-better-than-anything-else-on-the-road" types of guys I have ever met. So, their taste in exhaust notwithstanding, it was more of an honor to have them actually say something nice about my car, than have them flag me down to tell me their exhaust still sounded better than mine!

Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
I've seen them on J's car in person (while I was riding my bike home lol). They do really look great in person and sounds greater as well.

Great choice on the exhaust. I would have done it a little bit differently, but that's just being me again. hahaha

Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM
RKS
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I installed mine this past weekend as well. Currently it's too loud for my wife and there is cabin noise on the highway. I am going to make sure nothing is loose. Personally I don't mind the louder exhaust but I would prefer the note when I punch it more so than at non-spirited driving. I'll give it a month or so to mellow out before I make a final judgment.

edit: Took the G to a small custom exhaust shop. A couple washers and wrench turns has the Ark sounding great.

Last edited by RKS; 01-27-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by RKS
I installed mine this past weekend as well. Currently it's too loud for my wife and there is cabin noise on the highway. I am going to make sure nothing is loose. Personally I don't mind the louder exhaust but I would prefer the note when I punch it more so than at non-spirited driving. I'll give it a month or so to mellow out before I make a final judgment.

edit: Took the G to a small custom exhaust shop. A couple washers and wrench turns has the Ark sounding great.
Has the drone gone away? Does you car still have that distinctive exhaust note?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice buy man, Tho the best part is " I live in a 2 bedroom apt with 3 girls".. NOW THATS NICE!!!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
RKS
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AntonioWright
Has the drone gone away? Does you car still have that distinctive exhaust note?
I'm not sure if it is drone but at about 70 mph it is slightly louder than stock especially since stock is absolutely silent. If you give it gas then there certainly is no doubt you have an after-market exhaust.

My main observation is that during normal driving the exhaust note is much lower and a lit louder than OEM. At WOT I think the tone is closer to stock but louder.