G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Entire car shaking at 40 MPH...what could it be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Entire car shaking at 40 MPH...what could it be?

We got a lot of snow yesterday and today. Drive it yesterday to and from work with no issues.

Today i drove down to store and noticed it would shake a good amount at 40 MPH and faster but under 40 it was fine. Come home. Had to go back out a few hours later and it was doing the same thing.

The entire cabin is shaking. Feet, Seat ect. Entire cabin. The steering wheel isn't shaking on its own. It seems like the entire car is either shaking up and down or front to back. It was so hard to tell. When it would shake at say 45 and i let off the gas, it would still shake until it got to about 38 and it would stop. At lower speeds it was taking bumps differently. I don't know if because it gets worse the faster i go it's a tire or rim issue. I didn't hit a curb or hit anything that i know of this AM that would have caused this. If felt like it was sputtering but there were no strange RPM jumps but i also noticed this.

I noticed that in that speed range, if i gave it more gas to go faster..RPM's would only go up slightly and speed would increase slowly, but i had to give it a lot of gas to go faster and it would up shift causing a lot faster speed increase that i didn't want. There was no medium.

Has anyone heard of this shaking before at a certain speed? If it happens at a certain speed wouldn't it have to do with tires/suspension since even if i let off the gas it would still do it? Transmission?

Could it just be some ice or snow in the rim? I noticed when i pulled in there was all sorts of snow in the rims but end of my driveway has lots of snow so there's no way of knowing if it was stuck in there. But that wouldn't explain the strange acceleration with foot on pedal issue.

Thanks guys in advance. I know it's really hard to diagnose something online. It may be sometime as stupid as ice or snow in the rims, but what i was sensing with the RPM's in that speed seemed strange. I can only guess as you guys can. I am going to not really worry about it until i have to drive again tomorrow but i hope the issue is gone. I have no time to be without a car right now..ugh

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 02-02-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Snow in the wheels creating inbalance.

Or your car needs a sweater.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to my car during our last heavy snow storm. I was playing around in a parking lot and when I went to drive the car on the highway I though I broke something as the entire car was shaking pretty violently. This was 40+ mph for me.

When I got home I saw that all 4 wheels had snow on the inside of the rims where the balancing weights are typically put. So I cleaned out the wheels and most of the wheel wells for that measure, and bam.... no more vibration.

So just clear off your wheels and u should be fine.

I was kinda shocked how the snow stayed on the inside of the rim when I had been driving at 70-80, and also how much it counter weighted the wheels.

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Snow in the wheels creating inbalance.

Or your car needs a sweater.
Thats what i am thinking but the RPM issue caught me off guard and thought that it may be related to it. I have never personally heard of an engine or a transmission causing an entire car to shake

Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts
Gear lock up

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Old 02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by *****-ah-sore
Gear lock up
What would make a gear lock up?

I just had the same thing happen to my car during our last heavy snow storm. I was playing around in a parking lot and when I went to drive the car on the highway I though I broke something as the entire car was shaking pretty violently. This was 40+ mph for me.

When I got home I saw that all 4 wheels had snow on the inside of the rims where the balancing weights are typically put. So I cleaned out the wheels and most of the wheel wells for that measure, and bam.... no more vibration
I was wondering the same. How the hell does the snow stay in that dam thing going so fast and the roads being soaked. You would think the water would wash it away. Then again if you throw a baseball in a tire and roll it down a hill. The ball isn't going to come out. I hope this is all that it is. This is a heavy snow as well. Probably a stupid pointless thread for nothing...Snow yesterday was fluffly so it had no chance to stay in the wheel. This is heavy with sleet in it

I am just now puzzled with me having to press on the gas pedal much more to get going.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
i had the same thing happen to me when i wus getting a new muffler ..
so for a week i drove around with no muffler and it would shudder at around 35-40 .
only thing to stop it was, drop it in gear or let off the gas.

new muffler=shudder no more . but still doesnt make sence, maybe lose of back pressure

so that was about 6mons ago and now the shudder has come back..so im thinking it was a underlining problem..

only thing iv done to really fix it is to drive around in MM and let the rpms go up a lil b4 shifting.

so the car has adapted to my driving style and will stay in gear longer

its bin 3 weeks and still no shudder

Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I was reading that thread. Some people said it didn't always happen. Or only did 3 times in a trip. But my whole car was shaking none stop at that speed range when the car wasn't shifting. The OP said it was intermittent. Mine was shaking the entire time in that speed

Does it shudder when gears are shifting? Is that what that thread is about. because before this issues i did notice a little shudder sometimes when it would shift but it didn't bother me.

Edit: I am an idiot. You were talking about my RPM issue weren't you? Not the whole cabin shaking?

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 02-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its ice in ur wheels dont worry...

Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
ur still an idiot..lol

im talking about everthing its 2 an 2 with rpms and shuddering

and no its doesnt happen in MM but b4 i drove it hard it was locking up in 5th gear at 30-45 ..like getting on the freeway it always happend

https://g35driver.com/forums/search....rchid=11439054

Old 02-02-2011, 05:09 PM
that little shudder you were feeling b4 is what i feel now..but b4 it would just shake the car like i was off roading

Old 02-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL
its ice in ur wheels dont worry...
Thats what i think...I see you posted in that thread about shuddering. Doesn't sound like my issue is related?

that little shudder you were feeling b4 is what i feel now..but b4 it would just shake the car like i was off roading
Actually. Now that i think about it i was feeling a little shudder when drive the car for the past 5 weeks in a certain RPM range. It was vibrate ever so slightly and seem to be stuck but if i gave it more gas to get out of that it would go away with higher RPM's. That feels WAY different that what i felt today. It felt like a bent rim more than those little vibrations. I am going with snow in the rims for now. When i clean em out tomorrow and drive i will know for sure! People in that thread also said it came on ever so slightly getting worse and worse as the weeks went on. This went from night to day LOL While i think i may have a little shudder, that doesn't bother me.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM
good luck bro

Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM
^^ thanks!

Ill report back tomorrow if i really am noticing something wrong or if it was ice

If it is that shudder people are seeing from that thread..ill be pissed

Question..if say it isn't the ice and i want to have it looked at by Infiniti, would they charge me to take a look?

Still under powertrain

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 02-02-2011 at 06:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Entire car shaking at 40 MPH...what could it be?