G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Unhappy with how car is holding up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not even gonna start on a list of things going wrong w mine at 65k. These cars are simply pieces of ****. I owned a a350z and never had an issue. With this car it's like owning an audi all over again.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
You guys who are defending Infiniti's brand are just fanboys who don't see the reality of the situation.

I own a 2007 Lexus ES350, a 2003 Lexus LS430, a 2007 Honda Odyssey, and a 2007 Infiniti G35x sedan.

Out of all these cars, guess which one had to be brought into the dealer for numerous repairs. All of cars besides the Infiniti have WAY more mileage, and I felt like they are much more reliable than the Infiniti. Even my 2007 Honda Odyssey which has 125k miles and maintained a lot less than the Infiniti and still runs better. (Dino oil changes at 7-8k and a brake pad change last month.)

The 2007 Lexus ES350 is actually cheaper than my Infiniti, and it has over 80k miles and still runs like new. My Infiniti has 67k miles and already has issues that I shouldn't have to expect from a luxury sport brand. I've babied it far more than the other cars (Mobil 1 synthetic every 5k, Coolant flush, transmission fluid change every 40k miles.) I've even put super Mobil unleaded gasoline in this car at every fill up and only put regular or plus on the other ones.

If you compare Lexus to Infiniti, there's no comparison in terms of how reliable the car is. Consumer Reports constantly rate Lexus higher than Infiniti in terms of dependability and reliability.

Obviously everyone has different experiences, and there will be some Infinitis that outlast Lexuses, but I feel like the majority of the Lexus will outlast the majority of the Infinitis.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-19-2012 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
G3065 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
You guys who are defending Infiniti's brand are just fanboys who don't see the reality of the situation.

I own a 2007 Lexus ES350, a 2003 Lexus LS430, a 2007 Honda Odyssey, and a 2007 Infiniti G35x sedan.

Out of all these cars, guess which one had to be brought into the dealer for numerous repairs. All of cars besides the Infiniti have WAY more mileage, and I felt like they are much more reliable than the Infiniti. Even my 2007 Honda Odyssey which has 125k miles and maintained a lot less than the Infiniti and still runs better. (Dino oil changes at 7-8k.)

The 2007 Lexus ES350 is actually cheaper than my Infiniti, and it has over 80k miles and still runs like new.
Then sell your G and quit the forum...

Old 07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by That's G
Then sell your G and quit the forum...
Why should I? I'll lose more money by selling a car. I have to stick with it for another couple of years before I trade it in.

I'm giving my input; you don't have anything productive to say. You're a real fanboy. You blame people's mistreatment of their cars that cause these cars to fail and I'm telling you the reality of the situation. I baby my G much more than the other cars and I get more problems from the G.

I'm confident that the motor will last a long while, but I'm unsure about the tranny.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Out of all these cars, guess which one had to be brought into the dealer for numerous repairs. All of cars besides the Infiniti have WAY more mileage, and I felt like they are much more reliable than the Infiniti. Even my 2007 Honda Odyssey which has 125k miles and maintained a lot less than the Infiniti and still runs better. (Dino oil changes at 7-8k and a brake pad change last month.)

The 2007 Lexus ES350 is actually cheaper than my Infiniti, and it has over 80k miles and still runs like new. My Infiniti has 67k miles and already has issues that I shouldn't have to expect from a luxury sport brand. I've babied it far more than the other cars (Mobil 1 synthetic every 5k, Coolant flush, transmission fluid change every 40k miles.) I've even put super Mobil unleaded gasoline in this car at every fill up and only put regular or plus on the other ones.

If you compare Lexus to Infiniti, there's no comparison in terms of how reliable the car is. Consumer Reports constantly rate Lexus higher than Infiniti in terms of dependability and reliability.

Obviously everyone has different experiences, and there will be some Infinitis that outlast Lexuses, but I feel like the majority of the Lexus will outlast the majority of the Infinitis.
This is what you call productivity. Not sure if I'm supposed to be insulted because I actually like mine...

Old 07-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
So if i have been very happy with my experience with infiniti including the people i know who have em and therefore i say good things about them then im a 'fan boy' ?

You need to understand something here, majority of the people with 2nd gen G ARE happy with their cars while a minority are not cause they have issues with their cars, some have genuine issues while others have issues cause they dont take care of their cars enough and this is the same exact story with EVERY luxury/regular brand within the range of a mid class family!

BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Audi ALL have the exact same issue where majority are happy and some are not cause they either had bad luck and got that rare bad car or they werent maintained. This does not make ANY brand less reliable or bad, its all about making sure that they have majority of owners with good experience cause NO company can have a 100% satisfied customer base and if you dont believe me then go and spend some time on the BMW, lexus, mercedes audi forums and you'll see what i mean... iv owned bmw and lexus and for me both of them had way more issues than my G but i dont go out saying its not a good car or is not reliable or calling the owners that like em fanboys you just buy what you like, even now I have an acura tl-s and have run into some tranny issues but that does not mean i go out and say that its a less reliable car now cause i have had some serious issues while the majority have none

If youre still not satisfied and hate this car so much then you should sell it and get a car brand that you like better to spare yourself the frustration and time and i really do mean this in a good manner

Last edited by kool_yaar; 07-19-2012 at 02:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by kool_yaar:
G3065 (07-21-2012), rpm&my_G35 (07-19-2012), That's G (07-19-2012), vqsmile (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by That's G
This is what you call productivity. Not sure if I'm supposed to be insulted because I actually like mine...
I'm not insulting anyone who owns a G...I myself own one. I'm just giving my input since I have experience with Infiniti and Lexus (and also Honda.)

Oh, I forgot, I also did own a 2004 Infiniti I35 that also had transmission problems and had a check engine light by 68k miles, but the dealer replaced it, My wife totaled the car a year later so I got the Lexus ES as a replacement for her.

I'm not saying my G is the worst car ever. I still love the way it drives. I'm just worried about the long term reliability of the car based on the problems I've been experiencing with it.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
So if i have been very happy with my experience with infiniti including the people i know who have em and therefore i say good things about them then im a 'fan boy' ?

You need to understand something here, majority of the people with 2nd gen G ARE happy with their cars while a minority are not cause they have issues with their cars, some have genuine issues while others have issues cause they dont take care of their cars enough and this is the same exact story with EVERY luxury/regular brand within the range of a mid class family!

BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Audi ALL have the exact same issue where majority are happy and some are not cause they either had bad luck and got that rare bad car or they werent maintained. This does not make ANY brand less reliable or bad, its all about making sure that they have majority of owners with good experience cause NO company can have a 100% satisfied customer base and if you dont believe me then go and spend some time on the BMW, lexus, mercedes audi forums and you'll see what i mean...

If youre still not satisfied and hate this car so much then you should sell it and get a car brand that you like better to spare yourself the frustration and time \
While you are correct, but then why would Consumer Reports rate that Infiniti is less reliable than a Lexus? They must have done some statistical testing. Also, they probably compared the amount of recalls, etc.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...ort-cards.html

Again, I'm not saying that the majority of the Infiniti owners are unhappy. I'm sure BMW owners are happy even if their cars last 120k miles. I'm sure most of the BMW owners trade their cars before they have major issues anyways. The majority probably just don't keep their cars as long as Lexus or Toyota owners do. I'll be happy if my car won't have any major repairs from now until 150k miles. It's more about which brand can last longer given the same amount of maintenance. I'm pretty sure the majority of the Infiniti owners have cars that don't last as long as the average Lexus. I guess my whole point is: If you want a car that can last a very long time, get a Toyota/Lexus. The chances of them lasting longer than an Infiniti are higher.

I've owned two Infinitis and two Lexuses, so I think I have a pretty good experience in terms of how the two brands hold up.

Fanboys sure like to twist my words around. Don't get me wrong. I love my G.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-19-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have trans issues...5th gear grind, im also on my third throw out bearing@ 65K. And I have a feeling the dealer will give me the run around till I get to 70K then dismiss it since the warranty ran out.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
"These cars are simply pieces of ****."

"The guys who are defending Infiniti's brand are just fanboys who don't see the reality of the situation."

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about who needs the reality check here.

kool_yaar (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

There's a reason why Honda/Toyota is rated consistently higher than Nissan in terms of reliability.

I never said Infiniti is a bad brand. Myself, like many others, will find an issue like peeling paint and rubber molding from the door and steering wheel unacceptable on a $40k car, whether it is Infiniti or some other luxury brand. It doesn't take a genius to see that the quality isn't up there like other luxury brands.

Fanboy or not, it's logical sense that this shouldn't have happened anyways out of the gate. I referred fanboys as the ones who will always stand by the reliability/quality of the car, when they don't see that the majority of Infiniti G owners have this paint peeling issue. There are also plenty that have the grille chipping issue and wheel bearing issues after 50k miles. I myself also have the wood trim peeling issue from both my front doors, which also had to be replaced under warranty. Even the Infiniti dealer talked to me about the numerous transmission problems they had on the previous gen G's.

At least I'm pretty impartial when it comes to these things. I'll admit Lexus does have their problems here and there, but this one problem the G has isn't acceptable, even to non luxury brand standards.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-19-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Way to take my post out of context.
( Actually, I don't believe I did. You DID make the 'fanboy"statement.)

I agree, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
(Thank you)

The majority still believe Toyota is more reliable than Nissan.
(I can' t speak for the majority, but I have no argument with that.)

I wonder where that view came from?
(Again, no argument, so it's irrelevant)

Even if you do a quick search, you'll see almost a majority of Infiniti G owners having the same "paint peeling/scratching" issue from the door handles and steering wheel. On both of my Lexus and Honda Odyssey, that problem doesn't exist. You'll also see many people have the grille chipping issue and also wheel bearing issues after 50k miles. Not only that, even the Infiniti dealer admitted that the previous gen G's had transmission issues.
( You can also do a quick search on transmission failures on Accords and HG failures on Civics too. I owned an older Lexus that showed all kinds of issues as it aged too; and don't even get me started on the BMW's I've owned. Regardless, it's not the only determining factor. )

I guess believe what you want to believe.
( I think that's being demonstrated here.)

I never said Infiniti brand is really bad.
( Well, considering that you posted immediately after someone who did, and did so with a lead-in statement such as you did, you certainly didn't make it unreasonable for a reader to presume you were in alignment with those sentiments.)

I (and the majority of others) just don't expect these issues out of the gate from a luxury brand.
( Do you really speak for the majority of others though?)

If this happened on any other luxury brand I still find it inexcusable. Nobody likes paying 40k on a car that has paint and rubber molding peeling off the door and steering wheel. I've also had issues where my wood trim was peeling off. Any person who isn't a fanboy can agree with me that quality isn't up to par of what should be in a luxury sport vehicle.
( Well, this is where I think you could use to consider some context. If you compare the car as a whole with all things considered, luxury, performance, reliability, and COST, you should see that in spite of it's flaws, it is still a great value, and that has nothing to do with being a "fanboy")
comments within

Last edited by vqsmile; 07-20-2012 at 12:26 AM.
kool_yaar (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
comments within
Well, the cost of my car was around 43k not including any of the other fees tacked on.

I post quickly because my smartphone alerts me of emails from all G35driver threads I posted in, so I know when someone posted.

I'm pretty sure that most Infiniti owners do not expect the paint chipping issue. Everyday, you can see on this site how many people are complaining about steering wheel chipping and other paint problems.

I'm fairly certain that ANYONE who spends over 40k on a car do not expect those kinds of issues, especially something simple as paint quality in the interior that chips off within a couple thousand miles. There are far cheaper cars (even the Honda Civic) that doesn't have an issue like this.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, the cost of my car was around 43k not including any of the other fees tacked on.

I post quickly because my smartphone alerts me of emails from all G35driver threads I posted in, so I know when someone posted.

I'm pretty sure that most Infiniti owners do not expect the paint chipping issue. Everyday, you can see on this site how many people are complaining about steering wheel chipping and other paint problems.

I'm fairly certain that ANYONE who spends over 40k on a car do not expect those kinds of issues, especially something simple as paint quality in the interior that chips off within a couple thousand miles. There are far cheaper cars (even the Honda Civic) that doesn't have an issue like this.
Paint chipping is a major concern? They replace those parts under warranty. I rather have paint chips than a blown head or tranny any day. My buddy bought a 2011 M3 almost a year ago. Since then they replaced turbo and engine and he only has 12Xxx Kms on it. That's a 80k + car....

Last edited by LeFrenchy; 07-19-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM

The whole paint chipping issue was caused by a failure in the paint they used, It was intended to have a more pleasing rubberized texture to it, providing more of a premium touch but obviously it failed to hold up. Sure, they could have easily put a piece of Honda Civic quality in, but then that would be the complaint. I don't disagree it's annoying, but I think it's more in the category of disappointing quirks and idiosyncrasies that all cars have, and NOT the consummate indictment or generally indicative evidence of the quality and value of the car as a whole which, as it seems, you are purporting here. A point I made (clear back in post 27) was that even when you consider these issues, the car is still a great value. I've spent twice as much on cars before, which supposedly had impeccable pedigree, and easily had ten fold the problems and out-of-pocket expenses I've experienced with this car. I think it's a matter of looking at the big picture, not nitpicking the details.

kool_yaar (07-19-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unhappy with how car is holding up