G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stock/oem look backup camera install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by samsizzle
how hard is it to take off the trunk chrome piece?
Its actually very easy to do, take off the trunk liner and you just take off 4 bolts and it pops right out.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOOTHDLR
Ok thanks, I was thinking I could wire a relay that would give power to the aux image signal circuit when the car is put in reverse
sorry i was missing for a while....so i was looking at this and i see that pressing the aux button once puts you in aux mode then you need to hit the radio button to get back but i also see that you have nav which changes your button layout. presumably you could easily wire in a relay which triggers and releases on a backup signal to put you in aux mode then re-triggers upon loss of signal. i believe bosch or agastat makes solid state relays which do this....lemme look for you. the downside is that it would only put you in disc mode, not sat/am/fm mode....can you live with that or do you want it back to sat every time? because that relay will only simulate one button push.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
^ not that hard, you can find pdf diy on infinitihelp.com

Old 03-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOOTHDLR
Its actually very easy to do, take off the trunk liner and you just take off 4 bolts and it pops right out.
awesome, I will definitely be doing this in the future the OEM look is too hard to pass up...

Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very cool! i recently added backup sensors to my 07 G. i may add this camera mod in the future. it looks STOCK!! hopefully a way can be found to have the camera engage automatically.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Li_Photo
very cool! i recently added backup sensors to my 07 G. i may add this camera mod in the future. it looks STOCK!! hopefully a way can be found to have the camera engage automatically.
Li - do the sensors beep or do you have a distance readout anywhere?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
Li - do the sensors beep or do you have a distance readout anywhere?
i have both, beep and a LED readout bar. The readout bar is mounted in the rear of the cabin so it's easily read when looking in the rear view mirror. The nicest thing is senors look completely stock on my black G. any other color G would require the senors to be color match painted to look stock.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
Post some pics!!!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by salvador312
Post some pics!!!
here ya go!

Name:  G1.jpg
Views: 4836
Size:  94.0 KB

LED light bar:

Name:  G2.jpg
Views: 4863
Size:  49.7 KB

LED light bar looking through the rear view mirror:

Name:  G3.jpg
Views: 4915
Size:  63.2 KB

Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Li - very nice install, and very useful!!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Li - very nice install, and very useful!!
thanks! yeah, i find the G sedan is the hardest car i've driven to judge distance of the car behind when backing into a spot or parallel parking into a tight spot. these backup senors make life so much easier!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Li_Photo
thanks! yeah, i find the G sedan is the hardest car i've driven to judge distance of the car behind when backing into a spot or parallel parking into a tight spot. these backup senors make life so much easier!
I also installed backup sensors over a year ago, and find them extremely useful when parking in tight spots (have to do that pretty often in NYC) along with Boyo license plate camera. My beep/distance readout bar is mounted on the steering wheel console - for me it is more useful when I am in close using the screen camera info together with the distance #'s while backing in close. Your sensors look much more stock then my Fleabay ones (care to post a link?) and are probably not giving you as much grief re. false-positives (mine very annoingly start going off when there is a speck of dust/dirt on them forcing me to either clean them constantly or turn the beeping off ). I had mine painted over when my bumper was repainted after some a-hole bumped my parked G, but they definitely look cheap/aftermarket.

Wanting the distance markers, I bought the trunk trim from the same person as the OP (actually picked it up in South Brooklyn from the guy) so I could install the Sanyo camera (also on order).

Last edited by dohturdima; 03-08-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by dohturdima
I also installed backup sensors over a year ago, and find them extremely useful when parking in tight spots (have to do that pretty often in NYC) along with Boyo license plate camera. My beep/distance readout bar is mounted on the steering wheel console - for me it is more useful when I am in close using the screen camera info together with the distance #'s while backing in close. Your sensors look much more stock then my Fleabay ones (care to post a link?) and are probably not giving you as much grief re. false-positives (mine very annoingly start going off when there is a speck of dust/dirt on them forcing me to either clean them constantly or turn the beeping off ). I had mine painted over when my bumper was repainted after some a-hole bumped my parked G, but they definitely look cheap/aftermarket.

Wanting the distance markers, I bought the trunk trim from the same person as the OP (actually picked it up in South Brooklyn from the guy) so I could install the Sanyo camera (also on order).
here ya go:

http://www.steelmateusa.com/PTS400M6.php

Last edited by Li_Photo; 03-09-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry i was missing for a while....so i was looking at this and i see that pressing the aux button once puts you in aux mode then you need to hit the radio button to get back but i also see that you have nav which changes your button layout. presumably you could easily wire in a relay which triggers and releases on a backup signal to put you in aux mode then re-triggers upon loss of signal. i believe bosch or agastat makes solid state relays which do this....lemme look for you. the downside is that it would only put you in disc mode, not sat/am/fm mode....can you live with that or do you want it back to sat every time? because that relay will only simulate one button push.
I don't really mind pushing the map button or the am/fm button as long as when the car is put in reverse it automatically switches to aux. So if I wire the reverse power to the aux image circuit, that should do the trick correct?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 AM
@smooth - that's *basically correct but you would need to get a "momentary closure" type relay which will basically mimic the pressing of a button. wire the 12V reverse power to the relay coil and have the normally open contacts of the relay between the stock wiring for the aux button (you would wire this in parallel). then basically every time it sees a 12V reverse signal it should mimic pressing the aux button for you. then when you went to drive you'd have to hit the map button or something.

ill poke around to see what relays are out there when i grab some free time today.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock/oem look backup camera install