G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask them to show you the steering wheel before they install it, it should have the same hard surface as the ones on the showroom floor.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff T
Ask them to show you the steering wheel before they install it, it should have the same hard surface as the ones on the showroom floor.
I had one done year and half ago but its starting to get all worn out feeling. Is that the reason you guys usually had it changed?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by NationsMostWanted
Do you get better upgraded parts when they replace or will you get the same one again? I'm taking mine in this week and I will be on my 2nd steering wheel
I asked my service advisor to see if I was able to replace my steering wheel with the 2010+ model's because the bezel on the new sedan is a harder matte black plastic piece instead of the rubbery ones that are so damn prone to chipping on the 07-08 models. However, he said all warranty parts are ordered by the vin# of the car, so they would only be able to replace it with the part that comes from that year which is 2008 model. Interestingly enough, when I picked up my car I noticed that my car had the 2010+ steering wheel on. I am not sure if it was a mistake or my service advisor pulled some string to make that happen. I was just happy to know that my steering wheel will not be chipping anymore.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone had these pieces replaced after the bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired, with only powertrain remaining? I've got 55k mi. on my 07 and would love to get the door handle and steering wheel trim replaced.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by J2S2M
The chippy interior was addressed in 08+ models. OP probably has an 07 sedan. 07 was the year when everyone exprienced chipping, scratches, and scuffs with their interior trim parts.

maybe in the 09 because most 08's including mine were having the same issue. I had mu steering wheel replaces along with the top portion that covers the instrument panel because the side was popping out of the corners most people miss this issuse because the steering wheel is in the way when your driving.

Do you get better upgraded parts when they replace or will you get the same one again? I'm taking mine in this week and I will be on my 2nd steering wheel

they replace it with a plastic with no rubber finish which had the peeling issue kinda looks cheap but it looks better then the chipped one

Last edited by ericks_G; 09-26-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ericks_G
maybe in the 09 because most 08's including mine were having the same issue. I had mu steering wheel replaces along with the top portion that covers the instrument panel because the side was popping out of the corners most people miss this issuse because the steering wheel is in the way when your driving.

they replace it with a plastic with no rubber finish which had the peeling issue kinda looks cheap but it looks better then the chipped one
My 08 was replaced along with my shifter. Must be 09s.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I asked my service advisor to see if I was able to replace my steering wheel with the 2010+ model's because the bezel on the new sedan is a harder matte black plastic piece instead of the rubbery ones that are so damn prone to chipping on the 07-08 models. However, he said all warranty parts are ordered by the vin# of the car, so they would only be able to replace it with the part that comes from that year which is 2008 model. Interestingly enough, when I picked up my car I noticed that my car had the 2010+ steering wheel on. I am not sure if it was a mistake or my service advisor pulled some string to make that happen. I was just happy to know that my steering wheel will not be chipping anymore.
my old steering wheel was chipped. this one i have now just looks worn and feels worn. I can rub the wheel part and feel where my hands has worn it out.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

do you happen to have your paperwork showing what they replaced this under so that I could explain/show to my service advisor?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
You guys can do what i did and sand off the rubber texture and paint it. I do have an extra for sell if you want to do this

Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
my old steering wheel was chipped. this one i have now just looks worn and feels worn. I can rub the wheel part and feel where my hands has worn it out.
kung fu grip...

Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I drove a 2010 G when i had a loaner isnt the steering wheel the same?
once my steering wheel was replaced on my 08 the replacement steering wheel no longer had the rubbery texture it was just a black plastic. The SA said they had corrected the issue on the replacements since they had so many complaints/warranty issues with the steering wheel.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM
They said wear doesn't allow then to change it. I'm going wait till tomorrow to see if I'm going file complaint. Steering wheel isn't that bad but I would like a new one lol. Is the problem you guys have actual chipping or does it just look old? Mine looks very old and SA is trying to tell me it's normal. Wonder if it's worth fighting for another wheel

Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 PM
^ no one is gonna replace it for normal wear and tear. this whole tread is about peeling and chipping and not on the steering wheel itself but on the plastic portion that goes around the buttons (crusie control/radio volume, etc.) thats what they are talking about chipping. the dealerships cant just replace that part so most of us get a new steering wheel out of it.

If i would have taken it to a dealership for wear on the leather they would of laughed.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Yea so far I got them to do the door handles and most likely the cluster that peels up. They are going let me know on the paddle shifter because the right side one is very loose.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Got mine replaced

Hey - I had to argue a little bit with Infiniti of Boston and they gave me the run around a little bit (I believe they were trying to wait for a loaner with a "less chipped" steering wheel to be available to switch mine with - they already did something similar with my shift **** that was beat to hell by the previous owner of just a year) and then I put a call in to the general manager, left him a voicemail and legitimately, within 20 minutes had a voicemail on my phone saying they had ordered me a brand new steering wheel and would take care of everything free of charge as soon as it came in. So you just have to argue a little.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?