G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

getting tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Frankly, this defies conventional wisdom regarding these cars. I'm not calling BS,
i wont take offense to anything i understand where your coming from
but seriously, if there was another 25whp and better gas mileage available from these engine, I cannot for the life of me imagine that the manufacturer wouldn't have tweaked it out for themselves.
i would agree on the earlier engines, but this motor is a transition and seems to not have the time spent on it that the v35de and v37de had/have
When you said you wanted to get a tune to improve gas mileage, I didn't expect you would realize much if any there (certainly NOT 8 or 9 mpg) , as they already factory tune them with a distinct bias toward economy and emissions.
i dont see this engine as being anything close to tuned from the factory to be efficient especially given the stock a/f ratios (in the mid 11's at the end of the rpms)we were seeing in the first dyno pull
Additionally, and as has been said previously, it would also be expected that any economy gains would most like have a performance price as well. Conversely, if you were tuning for power, I could see gaining proportionately more there due to the bias of the original factory tune, but then ONLY at the sacrifice of some economy.
one of the ways you make power in any car is to make it more efficient. you get power by making the intake get air more efficiently and the exhaust expell air more efficiently. so when you arent using the extra power you are running better milage
the gains where over the entire rpm band, and we had soo much fuel to pull. below 3700 we pulled at least a full 2 points in the afr. which is where the car is driven and with that much fuel taken out we had no problem gaining milage.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
If getting 25WHP was as simple as a $500 tune, we'd ALL have done that by now.
if tuning was simple everyone would do it and be good at it. a tuner can make the entire difference in your car. ive been to some guys who tune cars and then went to other shops and gained 50whp. it all depends on how far the tuner the builder and the driver are willing to push the engine, how much money you have to replace things and the practice/knowledge the tuner has with that particular platform.

the guys that did mine have tuned and race alot of nissans. they are good with stock to heavily modded. and im friends with the owners.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 PM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
Interesting timing, I just tuned my car (Osiris) today as well. I am pretty much stock (ztube-custom intake-axle back) so I was using today to 1. promote the shop, and 2. see what it could do. The Osiris has 5 maps to it as well and in the power map I net +14WHP. In the econo map (stay tuned for updates as it was just done a few hours ago) I expect to see a similar bump in milage from what you saw.

I didn't expect world changing numbers on a stock G but some of the side effects are outstanding. Sync-up of the throttle (no more ECU overrides on launch etc) and the smoothing of the A/F curves. Increased throttle response and a much more direct feel to my throttle inputs were nearly worth it alone.

Don't mean to make too much on your thread (and to compund it I'm a coupe ), just wanted to share another "stock G" tuned story and you had such great timing for me

Next up, a few breather mods to really make the most of the power map

Old 03-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by freakta

you get power by making the intake get air more efficiently and the exhaust expell air more efficiently. so when you arent using the extra power you are running better milage

the gains where over the entire rpm band, and we had soo much fuel to pull. below 3700 we pulled at least a full 2 points in the afr. which is where the car is driven and with that much fuel taken out we had no problem gaining milage.
But didn't you say you were bone stock, no intake or exhaust mods? Even so, the stock intake and exhaust on these cars are pretty darn efficient. You've got to spend a awful lot to gain even a little.

And as far as being so rich at the top end, that's surprising too, as I've always heard tuners talk about how lean the factory sets them up.

If this is all as you say, it just amazes me. DO you have before and after dyno printouts? I'd love to see them posted here for the benefit of all. Thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah please post cuz I live near DSG and looking to get tuned aswell

Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by jookyshank
Interesting timing, I just tuned my car (Osiris) today as well. I am pretty much stock (ztube-custom intake-axle back) so I was using today to 1. promote the shop, and 2. see what it could do. The Osiris has 5 maps to it as well and in the power map I net +14WHP. In the econo map (stay tuned for updates as it was just done a few hours ago) I expect to see a similar bump in milage from what you saw.

I didn't expect world changing numbers on a stock G but some of the side effects are outstanding. Sync-up of the throttle (no more ECU overrides on launch etc) and the smoothing of the A/F curves. Increased throttle response and a much more direct feel to my throttle inputs were nearly worth it alone.

Don't mean to make too much on your thread (and to compund it I'm a coupe ), just wanted to share another "stock G" tuned story and you had such great timing for me

Next up, a few breather mods to really make the most of the power map
post away i dont mind

Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
But didn't you say you were bone stock, no intake or exhaust mods? Even so, the stock intake and exhaust on these cars are pretty darn efficient. You've got to spend a awful lot to gain even a little.
i was just making a point to how cars gain power, i just did the same thing with the computer. i made the car more powerful by maing it more efficient

And as far as being so rich at the top end, that's surprising too, as I've always heard tuners talk about how lean the factory sets them up.
every car is different. mine was really rich up, actually it was really rich all over

If this is all as you say, it just amazes me. DO you have before and after dyno printouts? I'd love to see them posted here for the benefit of all. Thanks
ill post it up but its a crappy cell phone pic, ill do the best i can

Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 AM

blue is old hp red new
bottom lines blue is old afr red is new

Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 PM
sweeet, can u take another pic with it zoomed out? so we can see the whole sheet pleaes!

oh yeah was it matt who tuned it?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wow

Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL
sweeet, can u take another pic with it zoomed out? so we can see the whole sheet pleaes!

oh yeah was it matt who tuned it?
i tried taking a few further out but the phone gets really fuzzy and you cant see much else. and yes it was matt

Old 03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
what were your tq gains and what are all the final numbers?

Old 03-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Looks like you got what you were looking for. enjoy!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 PM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
Here's my sheet.

Again this is just Z-tube / CF intake / Axle back Magnaflow for "power" mods (term used liberally )

and for fun

Old 03-26-2011, 12:16 AM
^ so the first run was with pre-tune with all the mods, and 2nd run was after the tune with mods correct?

any mileage gain with the eco tune?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: getting tune