G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

rust..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have rust spot on rear facing surface of trunk lid just like redbaronk. I noticed it first winter with car in midwest, 8 months in service, about 10000 miles. I noticed it in winter, cleaned up the spot, and sealed small perforation in paint with clear nail polish to prevent it from getting worse/slow it down. I have not touched it since and it hasn't changed.

It is a small spot but i what I noticed was discoloration of clear coat around small rust spot and below it from dripping downward. I noticed this discoloration of clear coat first then saw what was causing it. I have seen same condition especially noticable on white G35.

I have sort of forgotten about it but after reading this thread, I will take a look at it and see how it is doing. I just washed my car yesterday. If there is anythign picture worthy, I will post up.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcrayamsterdam
I had the car into the dealer for service this week and they washed it. Today I noticed rust starting up on my 07 in two spots on the trunk lid, in the exact same area, on either side of the tail lights. I couldn't believe it. I'm seeing a lot of crap with this car and have only had it since December. Infinity better have their act together with their 2011 + 'cause I'm seirously unimpressed. How the hell are they going to compete with the likes of BMW and Mercedes?! I mean my Mazda Protege took 7 years to show any rust and I never even rust proofed it. Totally ridiculous.

I'll post pics tomorrow and report back when I show it to the dealer.

*sigh*

</rant>
Finally got a good look in day light and took pics. I had my baby son in my arms when I did this, not my best move. Pics were taken from a Blackberry, bad to begin with and then the little guy kept flailing his arms because he thought we were going for a ride.

I'm just going to show these bad pics to start the discussion regarding rust in the spots where I've now seen them. I'll loop back with better pics later on.

Does anyone have rust where I do? I checked to see if contact could be made with the tail light assembly but it seems highly unlikely.

Zoomed out view of right side

Right hand side zoomed in

Left hand side zoomed in

J

Old 06-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a rust spot on my roof. The body shop said he has seen this a lot on Nissans and that it comes up from underneath. I had it there for another reason, but am having him fix that while its there.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jcrayamsterdam,

Usually when you have rust forming on corners like that it is due to trunk lid moving back and forth relative to rear quarters and tail lamps while driving over bumps, or while slamming trunk lid closed. check mating area on quarters to see if there is any abrasion or trace of contact being made. I will check my trunk lid in these corner areas to see if I have rust. Mine was on the rear facing outer surface where Infiniti logo and letters are adhered to.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been looking at that area, it reminds me of my old 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Water would just collect and sit there after the rain and as the years went by the rust certainly collected there. I haven't picked up the car yet (getting a used G) but I have already been thinking about heavily waxing the area as well as examining how I can beef up the rustproofing on the inside of the trunk lid without getting grease or something on my had everytime I open the trunk.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks, don't confuse "rust spots" with "rail dust". If you can remove it by applying a clay bar or some really hard wet towel scrubbing, then it's rail dust. They may look similar, so try claybar-ing it first or scrub it hard with a wet towel.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBaronK

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

heres the trunk... theres multiple spots of rust. my droid's camera sux, i am trying to get a real one to take these pics with
That's most likely rail dust. Buy Claybar kit at Autozone, see if it goes away.

And yes, Nissan paint sucks... I keep applying wax to protect the paint.