G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tach illumination flashing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So bummed. My G started doing the same thing. Out of warranty AND extended warranty as well. Anyone have any luck replacing it aftermarket not through the StealerShip?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cluster backlight DIY

I have the same issue on my 2008 G35x. Mine actually is off at all times.

I was going to attempt a fix myself, under the impression that the instrument panel could be removed without taking apart the entire dash. My thoughts on the procedure would be to remove plastic clam shell and controls from steering stem and unfasten the plastic around the cluster and slip it back and over steering stem.

Has anyone actually done this to confirm?

Attached Thumbnails Tach illumination flashing-2008_infiniti_g35x_cluster_backlight_before.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 07:06 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
According to my S/A, the entire dash had to be removed.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Same issue here. At 4K on tach. 08 g35 with 120k miles. Very annoying. Sounds like there really isn't a diy fix?

Old 06-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Same issue on my 08 Journey...

I had some serious issues after I had a shop program a third key. Long story short the car would not even start or recognize the keys and it was in the shop for months until they actually figured out what was going on. The shops insurence paid for repairs and a loaner car. After I picked up the car and signed the release I started to have the same thing right around 6 and 7. Then about a day later it started on 4 and 5.

I called the shop and that fixed the car and they said they never removed the cluster so it's nothing they did. And where I have signed a release the other shop's insurence is out of the question.

So I'm looking for a DIY solution. I've got a baby on the way and can't afford the dealership anyway...

Any update on a successful attempt at replacing the bad LED bulbs?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 PM
You cannot just replace LED. I have same issue, light are flickering around 2, 4 and 7 on mine g35.. LED diode will not burn per say unless you supply too my voltage to it. It is a circuit that supplies LED with power that is getting bad. This is same as if you have bad LED ligt at home, you cannot replace LED diode by itself, but eniter bulb, that include circuit that powers LED.

After talking to my my dealer i found out the circuit is not seperate board that is attached to instrument cluster, that someone can unsolder and solder new one. Thus you either need to know which part or circute is bad and replace that specific part or replace entire cluster. Since multi lights are going off (at least in my case it is multiple lights) then hunting down which resistor or capacitor is bad and replacing only those that are busted makes no sense. No one can guaranty that those that are good now will be working fine in the future,they may get busted next week. And seen that I have issue with three lights right now I am sure there will be more getting bad. So the only thing is to replace the whole circuit board on the instrument cluster (which is unfortunate as that means I am in agreement with the dealer).

Anyways, my dealer said it cost ~$800 to replace the circuit board with the instrument cluster. I am not going to do it now, but once the issue spreads to speedometer where I potential could not see my speed at night, then I will look into replacing the instrument cluster.

BTW, you can buy the instrument cluster online for about $300 and in IP section of g35/37 service manual (http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/AUT...SAN/g37/ip.pdf) you can see how to disassemble the cluster. It is quite a bit of work. However if there is anyone that has done it, I would love to hear his/hers experience.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes. it is an expensive fix. I have the same issue. I will try to install aftermarket strip lights from ebay on the outside of the cluster as a workaround if my speedometer goes out. Will see how it goes.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:13 PM
People have definitely replaced LEDs that have burned out in instrument clusters. There's nothing special about ours or any other makes that use LED. It's just a white SMD led.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Anyone have any idea about the type/size of LED to buy when attempting to repair this yourself? Having same issue. Has now spread to fuel gauge...which is nearly as bad as the speedometer!

Old 12-28-2017, 05:56 PM
No. From what I have researched it is not an easy DIY repair. FYI, my fuel gauge LEDs have gone out too, but remember that the center 7" info display also shows miles to empty if you choose to show that info. Just keep pressing the status button to show it. That is what I use to be informed on fuel level. There are used instrument panels for $160 on ebay. Also, there are outfits that rebuild the instrument panels but you have to pull it out, send it to them, and wait for the rebuild to be returned. See link here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08...BVEaNM&vxp=mtr

Old 09-28-2018, 10:04 PM
Did you end up getting it fixed?

Originally Posted by Ozzfest
So bummed. My G started doing the same thing. Out of warranty AND extended warranty as well. Anyone have any luck replacing it aftermarket not through the StealerShip?

I have this same problem and I am out of warranty. Auto shop near me said they would replace the whole cluster for $1100...As of now the 6-7 on the tach is the only thing out. Is it likely the whole thing will go out soon or should I not worry?

Old 05-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35xS
Has anyone gotten this fixed??

Bought a 2008 g35xS like 3 months ago 98k miles on it now and have gotten the annoying led bulb behind 5-7k on tach is flashing. Does it get worse and is it expensive to fix? Thanks in advance

Old 05-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Yes. It will get worse. Starts with Tachometer, then expands to other areas of tach, then entire fuel gauge, entire temp gauge, and clock. From what I hear, dealers want $1100 and up for the repair. There are places on ebay that will repair it for $100 and up but you have to pull it from the dash and send it to them. I hear it is not an easy and quick DIY for removing the instrument cluster. I still have not repaired mine since I can still see the needle in the gauges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPAIR-SERV...AAAOSwg~9cby5K

The following users liked this post:
alex_vq35 (07-05-2021)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35xS
Thank you for the link and the info, I have a mechanic that could do the removal and installation but would a dealer have to program the miles etc?

alex_vq35 (07-05-2021)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Not sure about odometer reprogramming, but found this thread on the question:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...placement.html

alex_vq35 (07-05-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tach illumination flashing