G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Awd + 6mt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 07g35xnick
I wonder if they don't offer awd man trans due to wear and tear , a manual trans can beat up the drivetrain more then an auto
Good question, but they've been making it for years in their trucks (nissan) among tons of others. I just think most manufacturers are slowly going away from manual transmissions as we are in the minority. Pretty soon it'll be rare to find one if you're not buying a sportscar. That'll be a sad time to see. To be honest, most auto perform just as the manual and some do better in terms of 0-60/1/4 mile. After all that's what most of live for

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
^No, No, No and NO!!!!! Not all of us live our lives a 1/4 at a time. The real 6mt will NEVER die. I know it's shrinking but any car marketed towards enthusiast will still have a good ol 6mt. The Toyota ft-86 for example coming out next year, will be priced in the low-mid 20s and they have already promised a real 6mt.

Originally Posted by gtbigup01
???? This aint the 80's bro Audis if not on Par are probably better than infiniti. The fit and finish are definitely better. The price for an RS4 however is another question. Plus Audis have the best interiors hands down IMO

Originally Posted by G3Sx
Don't get me wrong, I was planning on getting an Audi before deciding on Infiniti. I respect the car for what it is, but I'm still not convinced that its reliability is as good as Acura/Lexus/Infiniti.

Audi and infiniti both have quite a ways to go before they can compare themselves to Acura/Lexus's reliability. It seems as though all the new German cars are plagued with electronic problems. Some people get lucky and don't run into this, but ALOT of people get lemons.

As far as awd 6mt... eh... my last car was AWD, I'm enjoying RWD for awhile

Last edited by _RR_; 04-11-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by _RR_
^No, No, No and NO!!!!! Not all of us live our lives a 1/4 at a time. The real 6mt will NEVER die. I know it's shrinking but any car marketed towards enthusiast will still have a good ol 6mt. The Toyota ft-86 for example coming out next year, will be priced in the low-mid 20s and they have already promised a real 6mt.

Audi and infiniti both have quite a ways to go before they can compare themselves to Acura/Lexus's reliability. It seems as though all the new German cars are plagued with electronic problems. Some people get lucky and don't run into this, but ALOT of people get lemons.

As far as awd 6mt... eh... my last car was AWD, I'm enjoying RWD for awhile

Not sure when folks talk about reliability what exactly they're reffering to. I mean you speak as if infiniti is a trouble free vehicle, or is cheap to repair if out of warranty. All foreign cars are expensive to fix, sure some more that others.

6MT will NEVER die, you seem very optimistic about this. If the shrinking number are any indication on whats to come, then you won't have made that comment. The ones that will be available, trust me you and i won't buy. Like the toyota you speak of. How many horses does this have now? Is it a luxury vehicle? As society continues to do more things while on their way to work, ie make calls, setting up meetings, and generally getting lazier and lazier. The automatic is becoming more popular, hell in some manufacturers they're even cheaper than the manual. Imagine that!!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I Never said infiniti= trouble free. Read my post
Originally Posted by RR
Audi and infiniti both have quite a ways to go before they can compare themselves to Acura/Lexus's reliability
How many horses? Wtf are you talking about. My point is, that driver's cars will still have MTs, because it provides a more enjoyable driving experience.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
When is Nissan going to make a V8 6MT Sedan? I know it's a very narrow segment, but if it's fuel efficient and not 80K (like a GTR type), why wouldn't people buy it? Compete with the American manufacturers in V8 car segments.

Wish the 2011 M Hybrid was manual.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by _RR_
I Never said infiniti= trouble free. Read my post

How many horses? Wtf are you talking about. My point is, that driver's cars will still have MTs, because it provides a more enjoyable driving experience.
Yea my bad on the post, thinking and typing are a dangerous combo for me

Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
When is Nissan going to make a V8 6MT Sedan? I know it's a very narrow segment, but if it's fuel efficient and not 80K (like a GTR type), why wouldn't people buy it? Compete with the American manufacturers in V8 car segments.

Wish the 2011 M Hybrid was manual.
you would think they would but it seems like they are staying away from V8, in a small car. All magazines were hoping the GTR would be a V8 but instead Nissan chose to do the TT V6, nothing bad about that, but wish that came in manual too. Not that I could have afforded it, but maybe a used one could have been in my future.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G3Sx
Don't get me wrong, I was planning on getting an Audi before deciding on Infiniti. I respect the car for what it is, but I'm still not convinced that its reliability is as good as Acura/Lexus/Infiniti.
What he said.

I was deciding between an A4 Quattro and a G35x two months ago, and while I miss the stick, the manumatic is almost as good... and checking the reliability records on CR was enough to scare the bejeezus out of me (hint: Audi = all black (bad), Infiniti = almost all red (very good)). I think Infiniti just needs something on par with veedub's DSG which can shift faster than any manual, and there's no need for a stick.

BTW to those who think AWD is superfluous, I can tell you how it's pulled through like a champ driving at 6000' feet in Utah on a 7-10% grade on a mountainside in a blizzard with > a foot of snow on the road, with 4wd pickups driving in MY tracks. And I didn't even put snows on this season. Where I live, you have a good AWD or you sleep in your car while you wait 12 hours for the snow to stop and the roads to get plowed.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Kamikazejs
What he said.

I was deciding between an A4 Quattro and a G35x two months ago, and while I miss the stick, the manumatic is almost as good... and checking the reliability records on CR was enough to scare the bejeezus out of me (hint: Audi = all black (bad), Infiniti = almost all red (very good)). I think Infiniti just needs something on par with veedub's DSG which can shift faster than any manual, and there's no need for a stick.
Having manual shift isn't about shifting faster. I know every second counts at the track but on the street I would get bored with that automatic shifting..

Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 4th generation TL (SH-AWD) has always offered a 6mt. i almost bought one before my G37 sedan, but couldn't swallow the design. it's grown on my for sure though, but i'm not entirely sure i'd be comfortable owning one. acura's service departments ROCK by the way.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura has offered the 6M from the onset for the current model and last generation also. With the refresh, they want consumers to know that it's still available.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I love that Acura gave it a 6MT and AWD, but the styling is just not cutting it. IIRC, its not that fast for the HP/displacement its kicking, not saying its a slouch.

Its a shame manual transmissions have become so rare. I also fear that Infiniti will ditch the manual, if not all together then I think they may delete it from the sedans, but here's hoping that won't occur. Honda killed the Accord sedan MT, Nissan killed the Maxima MT and now the Altima sedan MT is dead too . It's hard for a manufacturer to profit from such a small niche, most people opt for the auto. The emergence of sequential transmissions doesnt really help the old standard shift fight much either.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 PM
^ So true. I didn't know the Altima now lacks a MT. Just to clarify, we are talking the V6 option here only. I know Honda still make the MT in the coupe, not sure about the Altima though since i've never really looked at those as a potential purchase. I want to go test drive the SH-AWD just to see how it feels. No new purchase for me though as I've only had this one for 6 months, plus I've come to realize no car I can afford will satisfy my need for speed/thrill hence my purchase of a sportbike last year.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
???? This aint the 80's bro Audis if not on Par are probably better than infiniti. The fit and finish are definitely better. The price for an RS4 however is another question. Plus Audis have the best interiors hands down IMO

eh, audi reliability still sucks in the 90's, 2000's, AND now. However, I agree that the audi fit/finish/interior is pretty nice.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^ So true. I didn't know the Altima now lacks a MT. Just to clarify, we are talking the V6 option here only. I know Honda still make the MT in the coupe, not sure about the Altima though since i've never really looked at those as a potential purchase. I want to go test drive the SH-AWD just to see how it feels. No new purchase for me though as I've only had this one for 6 months, plus I've come to realize no car I can afford will satisfy my need for speed/thrill hence my purchase of a sportbike last year.
The Accord Sedan V-6 MT is dead, 4-cyl sedan MT is still there. The Accord Coupe V-6 and 4-cyl MT still exist.

The Altima sedan is now all auto(CVT) only, MT available in I-4/V-6 in coupe. (Sad evidence of Nissan's dying MT breed). If they kill off the Altima coupe MT then I think the G sedan would be next, I know they're not the same platform but you can see the trend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Awd + 6mt