G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Please tell me I didn't get ripped???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Please tell me I didn't get ripped???

Sorry in advance to start a thread that may not be considered useful to many. I just dropped my G35s off at the dealer for service and was shocked to see the bill:

Oil change w/normal oil: 46
Tire rotation & balance: 67
Front pads & rotor resurface: 341
Total: $454

Almost five hundred bucks for oil change, rotation, and front pads? Are the pads made of platinum? Am I losing my mind or did I just get ripped off. I haven't actually paid yet so any advice on whether I should haggle or cancel service would be much appreciated.

I realize the dealership is expensive but I had no idea...how people afford taking their cars there is beyond me.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you already had the brake judder tsb done? When I brought my 2 G35's in for that they replaced all the pads and resurfaced the rotors free of charge.....and gave me a nice M37 loaner to beat on while they did it!
I also give good surveys to my advisor and he always give me pretty decent discounts.....
Another way I save is that I bring my own oil in for the oil change.

If it weren't for all that, I'd be going to the local Jiffy Lube!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The dealer is expensive and you have found out the hard way. They feed on people thinking the car is a super complex machine that requires expensive service to keep it running.

Next time just think about if you really need the items they are suggesting and see if you can do them yourself. For example...did you really need the tires balanced? Some places will include a tire rotation with the oil change.

Dealerships and shops in general make brake jobs expensive as hell because people think "something as important as brakes needs to be done properly." Take a look at a youtube vid of someone changing out brake pads and you'll see its very simple. I like to save a few hundred bucks where I can, so I opt to swap them out myself, however I was lucky enough to get free rotors and pads @45Kmiles out of the brake judder TSB .

I have gotten a similar quote for front pads and rotors from Merchants tire shop, so you could have probably paid around the same at another place.

How many mile are on your car?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like they didn't even spit...SMH... If your mechanically inclined the oil change can be done by yourself in about 20 minutes and cost you about $25.00- $30.00...the brakes you could've saved 150.00. But hopefully lesson learned STAY AWAY FROM THE STEALERSHIP unless it is unevitable.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Its a common bill for those items at a dealership, but ya its a clear ripoff, you could get a syn oil change with M1 filter for $35, then its $30 for all 4 wheels balance at mr.tire, good ceramic pads ~$80, rotor resurface $20 for both at pepboys...

DIY total: ~$165
local mechanic w/labor: ~$250

Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
ha getting your brakes done at the dealer was your first mistake. i bought my own and had them replaced on both fronts in under an hour.

45 for regular oil is highway robbery. and NTB can rotate and balance your tires for much cheaper than that.

absolutely stay away from the dealer for everything but warranty work.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I really appreciate the responses guys, thanks a lot for the insights. My car has 48k miles and is a 2007 MT sport....not sure if the shudder TSB relates to that year?

Here's the thing.
I took my car in a month ago because the 2nd gear synchro duing the cold months started to show signs of wear (and still does slightly)...I was basically told that since my drivetrain was "99% solid" that they couldnt warrant doing warranty work since tranny replacement is high $ and corporate will fight it if it's not a critical problem yadda yadda.

I was talking with the service manager and he asked why I didnt have any recent infiniti dealer service records on my car...told him i owned it only 11 months and have been doing oil changes and tire rotations myself. He said "I respect people that are mechanically inclined and do their own work...but when it comes to warranty work situations or just in general, having dealer service records carry a lot more weight as far as taking a customer seriously than dyi receipts..."

Well thats BS but it is how it is so I decided to play the game and get some simple service done to get the car ready for spring. Now you know the context of my original post....I would have done the pads myself too.

Lo and behold, the dealer just called and said the front pads are 80% and don't need service! (the service records I have from the former owner indicated he declined suggested brake service a year or two ago but I'm guessing he just went somewhere else to get them done.)

Now I have to figure out why my brakes just started squeeling like a month ago, since I was sure that I was down to the indicator strips in the pads up front. Any advice once again would be appreciated! Sorry if anyone feels I wasted three minutes of their lives reading this post!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
non oem pads usually squeak and squeal like crazy.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Nissan dealership

I am to busy with work and family to change oil etc. I did however call around and found the Nissan dealership to be much less expensive for maintenance and keys--(about $ 350.00) for the 60K service. However where I live there are several Nissan dealerships and one one infinity dealership.

kturn

Old 04-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
oil change and tire rotation ... is like $35 bucks ... $50 max (for both)

About the pads and rotor i dont know ... i mean if you didnt request it ... and they didnt tell you about it before doing it, you dont have to pay for that
Sometimes they probably didnt even know ... and just charge you

Old 04-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oil change price is right, front pads cost 300 without resurfacing so its right too, so no u didn't get ripped off.... dealers are more expensive but as far as it goes u paid what's normal for dealers

Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ where do you get $300 oem pads from??? even the best AM pads dont cost that much even for the old brembos they wer ~150 for hawks, $100 max for oem pads retail, you can get em around 60-80 online though...

Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was referring to avg dealer costs for pads including labor....

Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wow

Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks once again for the insights guys. I just wanted to make sure the prices they were charging me weren't outrageous and it sounds like they were comparable to other infiniti dealers. I'll be doing the work myself next time!

Off topic but how do you know if your sport model came with the active steering? I looked around and found no answer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please tell me I didn't get ripped???