G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Sunroof Stuck Open..Help..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^so did u get it working fine after replacing that screw? if so then this is a nice little diy share that would help many in the future for sure, thanks!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, joesuf2000. I think you've added quite a bit of help to this thread and anyone else who might go through this potentially expensive pain. The dealer told me that they also did not take the entire headliner but just the front and bent it down to get to the sunroof. I am pretty certain they did exactly what you did. Why Infiniti can keep one screw in place is stupid but I'd still buy one instead of a Chevy.

One thing I also noticed yesterday was that the rubber bellows that connects to the sunroof during tilt mode and prevents the sides from wind and debris came loose. I don't know if this is the result of the repair or just because it's flimsy. You'll know if this is a problem since the interior sliding curtain catches it when you try and close it. It was easy enough to fix since it has a lip that tucks in to the sunroof glass and the molding. I'm not sure it'll stay in place but I think I might get some gummy rubber glue if it comes loose again.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM
^ there was TSB for those sides coming loose that i had done, they pretty much applied some super glue in to the groove and pushed it back on and its been good ever since (~4.5yrs)

Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does work fine now. I realized that the grinding noise is the sunroof motor vibrating because one of the two motor mounts(screws) was gone. I wish i had taken the screw to home depot to match it up in case people can't find it. Taking off the other screw would be an option if you lost the other but trying to get it screw back on would likely be difficult. I was incredibly lucky to have the screw sitting right in front of me(just like the picture) Otherwise i would have had no idea what to do next. Pretty awesome to be able to add something but hopefully nothing else goes wrong for a long time. The rubber liners i took off first to see if the glass was off the track and haven't had any problems with them trying to come off again. I did have a problem one time when i first got the car and one was off. I found water on the floorboard after it rained. I couldn't understand how it was getting in but after i put the rubber back on i stopped having the problems. Perhaps it wasn't related and i was just leaving the window cracked by accident. I'm sure if it was a problem then there would be a ton of people posting about it.

The following 2 users liked this post by joesuf2000:
cruzmisl (04-12-2012), kool_yaar (04-10-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 AM
I wonder if the coupes are any different.

I'd like to be able to check as a preventative procedure but I guess there's no way of telling unless I pop off the front of the headliner?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM
^ well all u really need to do is to pull on the headliner slightly near the sunroof, u dont actually pop/ttake it off from any of its clips... and unless ur hearing some sounds already the only way to check is to peep through and check the screw i would guess it would be the same system as the sedans

Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you to everyone in this thread. This just happened to me while I was out of town traveling so I wasn't near a dealership. I was able to fix it right then and there in the hotel parking lot with just a screw driver.

Here are some high level steps for my 07 G35 Sedan
1. Pop out the middle part of the overhead switches, the part with the switch, led lights and middle light switch
2. Disconnect the led lights and microphone and this plastic piece should come out.
3. Now you can pull out the entire plastic white assembly by removing the clips on the side.
4. Now you can see the sunroof motor mounted.
5. There should be 3 screws holding the motor to the track, make sure all of these screws are tight and the motor is connected to the track.

Those are the steps that I can remember but it only took 1 hour to fix in the parking lot.

Thanks,
John

The following 4 users liked this post by jayzala:
FlagAZrail (09-10-2013), Midnight G35 (06-19-2012), Navin R Johnson (06-01-2012), shuref00t (08-06-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Thumbs up thanks joesuf2000

This forum has saved me $600 based on mechanic quote for repair.

Last edited by vamhobbs; 06-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Thumbs up Thanks for the photos and your post

Joesuf2000 saved me a big headache as rain was due this evening. I spent time at a repair shop and no one could help with my roof. I came home and told my husband that the roof was stuck tilted up. He couldn't fix it either. Then I read the forum and came across Joesuf2000's post with the photos. Armed with a flat and philip head screwdriver I tackled the job. I didn't need to open the headliner at all. I popped the light out and the screw was there dangling. I screwed it back it and voila! All I can say is that if I hadn't seen his photos I'd be at a sunroof shop giving them my money unneccesarily. Thanks Joesuf2000:
BTW...took me 20 minutes to fix!!!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the pics and info in this thread!

Especially Joesuf2000 and jayzala's tips

Made fixing my sunroof cheap and easy

Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Thank goodness for this forum!

It happened to me just today. I opened the moonroof while I was driving (which I know you shouldn't while the car's moving), and I heard the loud cranking sound as it only slid back half way. I went to close it, and it locked up in the position with the rear angled upwards.

I got home and tried finagling it closed for about 15-20 minutes, but to no luck.

Then a quick Google search lead me back here to G35driver, and 40 minutes later my moonroof was fixed.

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by joesuf2000
I'm sure someone else has posted a solution for this but i didn't really want to take the time to look. Like other people my sunroof stopped working and made a loud grinding noise when i hit the button.
I used a flathead screwdriver to open the light shown in the picture and luckily noticed the screw right in front of me. I'm certain trying to find this screw will be difficult for many but if you can retrieve it then the rest of the DIY is simple. My pictures are probably out of order but you can figure it out. Next i gently pulled the middle part of the headliner down. No need to take it off. You'll just want it down enough to see what you're working with. See the other picture with the screwdriver. The third picture is important only because it appears this is where the screw goes back in but the proper place is shown in the picture. I hope this helps. You might need to reset the automatic closing again. i haven't done it yet but i saw where someone posted a sequence to get it to autoclose again.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...35sunroof1.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...35sunroof2.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...35sunroof3.jpg
Mine stopped working this morning. I looked everywhere for info and someone at Myg37 pointed me to this direction.
To my amazement, I found one of my screws exactly the same location as your pictures.
The same screw seemed broken off with half the threads in.

I can't thank you enough since my warranty been out for couple of months!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need help.
I got the screw back in, but now the sunroof wont open all the way back. it only opens about 1/4, and i also cant get it to go into tilt mode.
And to put the cherry on top, it wont close either.

Is there like a way to reset the sunroof?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
1. If the moonroof is open, close it fully by repeatedly pushing the CLOSE side of the moonroof switch.

2. Push and hold the CLOSE side of the moonroof switch to tilt the moonroof up.

3. Release the moonroof switch after the moonroof moves slightly up and down.

4. Push and hold the OPEN side of the moonroof switch to fully tilt the moonroof down.

5. Check if the moonroof switch operates normally.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Roof stuck in the tilt-up position

Thank you all for the posts on what to check. my roof was stuck tilted up and making a horrible grinding noise. I popped the center console out and indeed 2 screws were loose..but not missing. they were still in place, so I tightened them. however the roof still won't close. When I hit the "open" side of the button (the side to slide the roof back or tilt down) nothing happens. I don't hear anything. When I hit the 'close' or tilt up side, the roof briefly moves a bit and then nothing. Seems like the motor is fine, I no longer hear any grinding, but still can't close the roof. Any suggestions?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Stuck Open..Help..