G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Newbie questions - please be kind

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DFWG35driver
I drive an 07 5at and all hwy 6 days a week, before I installed my intakes I was seeing about 24/25 mpg if I kept my foot out of her @ roughly 70mph ave. Since installing the intakes I have actually seen an increase in mpg of about 2 per gallon, IF I keep my foot out of her. I'm sure with a 6mt you would be able to maximize mpg by shifting at lower RPM's. Be weary though the G is extremely fun to drive and you will probably want to drive it hard.
So you are getting 26/27 MPGs after installing intakes? What brand?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Injen SP1997P, I would warn you to be careful of hydrolock though. I spent an hour under an underpass waiting for very heavy rain to recede. I have seen good results with the mpg, although it takes very disciplined driving. I keep it at 65/70 and on cruise the whole way to work and the whole way home.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 AM
These things are damn near impossible to find in a manual locally. If I was to drive a coupe or 350Z, would the clutch experience be the same?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenlawnracing
These things are damn near impossible to find in a manual locally. If I was to drive a coupe or 350Z, would the clutch experience be the same?
Good luck trying to find a 6mt sedan and most people look around 500mile radius. I am in Texas so that helps with market and availability. I was able to find both sedan in Houston and one was in CRAPOLA condition and the other was in MINT MINT. I would look for g35 coupe in manual and 350z in manual try to drive a 2006+ vehicle since it will have a very similar transmission. Good luck with your search and if you want an autocheck report PM with the vin

CRAPPY CRAPOLA CAR

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...l&cardist=6616

Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
They can be found. 07s and 08s around coming around due to lease returns. There was one in Austin a week before I started my search that was gone quick. I am in Austin and got mine in Fort Worth.

You can definitely get a good 08 6mt sedan for around 25k - mine was about that loaded with nav, with around 40k miles, with plenty of warranty left. I know Nissan has an closed auction in DFW once a month and that's then the cars usually show up that are lease returns(If originally dealer they are returned to doesn't keep them for whatever reason). There are a few private owners selling out there too, those are far less common. The next closest place that had one for me was New Orleans - so I just kept alerts on anything new within 500 miles for a few weeks and find it that way. I also used 'craigslistnoficia' anrdoid app to search a 500 miles radius on CL there too, and set up alerts on autotrader and cars.com. Just check the pics of the shifters carefully, I'd say 4/10 listings I saw there were G35S models with automatic and paddle shifters, and they were listing them as manual 6 speed.

If you find one at Texas Nissan of Grapevine, beware, they changed the price I had in writing after I got there, and I've had surgeries that were pleasant compared to that experience! (I got my plates so I can speak freely about them now). Lol also I think the car I bought a month ago was still on their website as of a week ago. I don't think the issue there is the salespeople, they were nice, it was clearly the management between their used car sales and internet department. In the end the car was pretty much legit (minus the leaking windshield I had to fix).

I also second the autocheck. Carfax is worthless these days, it pays to have autocheck over carfax as its more accurate. Neither replaces having the car checked out my the nearest infinity dealer or trusted mechanic. If they won't let you, don't buy it! They are hiding something. Also I recommend driving it through a car wash before you buy it, any major leaks will be immediately apparent - I did not do this and I got burned. Too many poor windshield installs out there that could spell disaster if not fixed properly.

Also I don't know why this is, or maybe a hub for nissan resales, but Atlanta had a lot of 6mt g35s sedans for some reason. It just wasn't worth it for me to fly out there and drive it back as I found something closer.

Originally Posted by faiz23
Good luck trying to find a 6mt sedan and most people look around 500mile radius. I am in Texas so that helps with market and availability. I was able to find both sedan in Houston and one was in CRAPOLA condition and the other was in MINT MINT. I would look for g35 coupe in manual and 350z in manual try to drive a 2006+ vehicle since it will have a very similar transmission. Good luck with your search and if you want an autocheck report PM with the vin

CRAPPY CRAPOLA CAR

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...l&cardist=6616

Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Many on this board are coming from Maximas. The G35/37 sedan is a natural progression. The G is better in just about every way--one can argue the current Maxima is a little more luxurious and roomy. After the above DIY's (Big thanks to Intg8r!), there are no issues with the clutch or driveability. As the clutch ages, it becomes less grabby too. I can't remember when the last time I lurched from a stop. So no worries!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
(Big thanks to Intg8r!)
/\... I miss seeing Ian around these parts

Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Ok, back with some findings and some questions.

I drove an 07 and 08 G coupe...didn't realize they went to the 37 a year earlier in the coupe.

I can see the issue with the clutch...engages very quickly on the 08...not at all on the 06. Is the G37 coupe the same transmission as the 08 G35 sedan?

Taking off from first was a little tough, and my shifts into second and third were a little jerky. Am I safe to assume you get better at modulating the clutch?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenlawnracing
Ok, back with some findings and some questions.

I drove an 07 and 08 G coupe...didn't realize they went to the 37 a year earlier in the coupe.

I can see the issue with the clutch...engages very quickly on the 08...not at all on the 06. Is the G37 coupe the same transmission as the 08 G35 sedan?

Taking off from first was a little tough, and my shifts into second and third were a little jerky. Am I safe to assume you get better at modulating the clutch?
It gets better with practice but you have a couple mods/DIY that really help and let you smooth out your launch and have a real feel for when the clutch is engaging. I would make sure the transmission is solid and clutch is not slipping. Common issues are grinding when shifting into 2nd or 5th. You can change out the clutch fluid as well and add a stainless steel line which will really help.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...t-feeling.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...-complete.html

Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen SP1997P, I would warn you to be careful of hydrolock though. I spent an hour under an underpass waiting for very heavy rain to recede. I have seen good results with the mpg, although it takes very disciplined driving. I keep it at 65/70 and on cruise the whole way to work and the whole way home.
Will having an Air intake will increase the chances of hydrolock??

Old 05-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Can't believe I forgot to ask this.

My other car is a F250 Powerstroke for towing.....so 2WD only.

How is the G in the snow?

I've been transfered to the Oklahoma/Arkansas district so I've got to assume the winters aren't that bad....but curious of course.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by JrFive
Will having an Air intake will increase the chances of hydrolock??
Hydrolock occurs when massive amounts of water is sucked into your engine through the air intake system. It is more likely to occur on the Injen CAI's than most because of where they are located at. Only Cold air intakes like mine are susceptible to that because of where the filters sit.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie questions - please be kind-injen5.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrolock occurs when massive amounts of water is sucked into your engine through the air intake system. It is more likely to occur on the Injen CAI's than most because of where they are located at. Only Cold air intakes like mine are susceptible to that because of where the filters sit.
Stillen intakes are installed near the top of the engine correct??

Why did you get Injens?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Why did you get Injens?
Does AEM still make an intake with a water bypass for safety? Haven't researched them in a while, although I do have an intake on both of my vehicles.

I'm told these vehicles have oil consumption issues as well....any data on that anyone can enlighten me on?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 PM

Why did you get Injens?
Stillen Gen3's are installed right behind the grill. I like the install of the injens better, they required no cutting and are tuned. The only cons I found are cleaning the filters, but I can take the water guards off once a year... Also the hydro lock issues, but you have to drive through quite a bit of deep water to have this issue. I was also able to aquire the Injen SP1997P for 438 bucks which is quite a bit less than the 551 that most places wanted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie questions - please be kind