G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you're supposed to remove 7 screws.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey, when you get your air filter out... could you do me/us a huge favor and note which side is dirty (top or bottom).

There's a lot of conflicting info all over the place about which direction the air flows (up/down vs. down/up). You could clear that up for us right now.

Last edited by Sprockethead; 07-06-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI I'll be attempting this tonight. I'll be sure to take note of the filter's position and report back here once I'm done.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks man can you also lets us the steps you took. Once I feel comfortable I will do one also. Becauase I dunno why but the 08x has to be differnt than the rest .....

Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All right folks, see the attached pics. I followed the DIY video posted for the V36 sedan that's posted on page 2 of this thread. My sedan is a 07, not sure if it's different from an 08.

Honestly I don't really think that there is a wrong way to insert this filter. I think either up or down will work, both sides of the old filter was really dirty. Hope this helped.

Attached Thumbnails Cabin Air Filter-imag0264.jpg   Cabin Air Filter-imag0265.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The filter "airplane" noise finally got to me and I decided to flip it upside down this morning. Guess what? The noise is gone. Conclusion:

For those of you who are replacing the OEM filter with an aftermarket like Fram FreshBreeze, the arrow should be pointing DOWN. For some reason, the OEM filter arrow points up (direction of installation) whereas on aftermarket cabin filters it points in the direction of the airflow (down).

Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Cool! Thanks for the info. This has been bugging me. I don't have the noise anymore, but my arrow is pointed "up."

My rationale for this is that the fan is on the bottom. So, you think that the fan is sucking in air? I'm not contesting the idea. I couldn't tell honestly, from holding my hand in there. It was just kind of a whirlwind.

Did you check to see which side was dirty? I don't know if my new one has been in long enough for me to have accumulated dirt. I'll pull it out tonight to try to confirm what you're saying about arrow direction.

Originally Posted by dohturdima
The filter "airplane" noise finally got to me and I decided to flip it upside down this morning. Guess what? The noise is gone. Conclusion:

For those of you who are replacing the OEM filter with an aftermarket like Fram FreshBreeze, the arrow should be pointing DOWN. For some reason, the OEM filter arrow points up (direction of installation) whereas on aftermarket cabin filters it points in the direction of the airflow (down).

Old 07-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Sprockethead
Cool! Thanks for the info. This has been bugging me. I don't have the noise anymore, but my arrow is pointed "up."

Did you check to see which side was dirty? I don't know if my new one has been in long enough for me to have accumulated dirt. I'll pull it out tonight to try to confirm what you're saying about arrow direction.
Are you using an OEM or an aftermarket filter? If it's an aftermarket where the direction arrow indicates air flow it should point down. Made a huge difference for me noise-wise. My filter is a Fram FreshBreeze (it is darker to begin with) and was relatively recently installed so it wasn't dirty on either side.

I found another DIY that pretty much states that the flow direction is down:
http://gshack.org/?p=155

Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I installed the exact same filter as you did, coincidentally. I'll flip it so that the arrow points down.

Infinitihelp.com says to point it up. http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gsedan/p...eplacement.htm

But maybe they were referring to the OEM?

Originally Posted by dohturdima
Are you using an OEM or an aftermarket filter? If it's an aftermarket where the direction arrow indicates air flow it should point down. Made a huge difference for me noise-wise. My filter is a Fram FreshBreeze (it is darker to begin with) and was relatively recently installed so it wasn't dirty on either side.

I found another DIY that pretty much states that the flow direction is down:
http://gshack.org/?p=155

Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Sprockethead
I installed the exact same filter as you did, coincidentally. I'll flip it so that the arrow points down.

Infinitihelp.com says to point it up. http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gsedan/p...eplacement.htm

But maybe they were referring to the OEM?
Most likely they were referring to the OEM, as in direction of the installation (not the airflow direction).

Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone know if it would hurt the system to remove the filter and not replace it? I don't want or need a cabin filter and for the most part think they are just another gimmick to make money for dealerships. But if the system requires it I will replace mine.

I got my 06 coupe used (now has 85k miles) and the interior smells fine until you turn on the AC which blows air that smells like public restroom cleaner. I hope removing and/or replacing the filter will help.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 PM
N80
There is a video for the Fram filter that says the arrow should be pointing down, which is the direction of air flow.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Alright guys finally did my cabin air filter. I bought the fram carbon filter. For the 08 all I did is take the two panels off like the video and then the 6 screws. It was the first time this car got the filter done so it was super tuff to take the glove box out so you really have to work at it and the filter was really really dirty. Sorry didnt take any pic's but the air improved greatly. The AC is a lot cooler and the air smells a lot fresher. Hope that helps the 08's looking for a extra screw.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Did this as well today everything went good filter was pretty bad too I wonder if the previous owner ever changed it, he took good care of the car in every other aspect

Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
N80
I changed mine the other day too. It took maybe 10 minutes max. It helped the smell a little. It used to smell like the restroom of an I-95 rest stop. Now it smells like a Motel 6 room that has just been deodorized.

I don't know what the dealership used to deodorize this car. Urinal cakes maybe?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter