G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Do I need to get a brake fluid flush? Also, do I need to resurface rotors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to get a brake fluid flush? Also, do I need to resurface rotors?

Hey guys, I need to get my rear brakes changed and Infiniti told me I also need to do a brake fluid flush (car has 40,000 miles...2008 G35x). Do I need to do this or is it just a money-maker? Also, if I do need to do it, should I do it at Infiniti?

I am thinking of changing my brakes at Kost tire and auto. Do I need to resurface my rotors if braking feels smooth without any vibration? Thanks!!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Brake fluid flush is probably one of the most overlooked maintenance items.
With OE fluids it should be done on 2yr intervals IMO
It's also a very easy & cheap DI.

The following users liked this post:
i3eezenotch (07-12-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Brake fluid flush is probably one of the most overlooked maintenance items.
With OE fluids it should be done on 2yr intervals IMO
It's also a very easy & cheap DI.
What's the importance? Out of curiosity. Also, what is your opinion on rotor resurfacing?

Do you know where I can find a DYI for the fluid flush? Infiniti charges up the wazoo.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it takes on water.
The water does two things.
Moisture lowers the boiling point of the fluid and causes internal corrosion in the brake system.

Plain & simple your brakes can become a safety hazard without your knowledge.

"brake fluid flush" over a million hits

i3eezenotch (07-12-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it takes on water.
The water does two things.
Moisture lowers the boiling point of the fluid and causes internal corrosion in the brake system.

Plain & simple your brakes can become a safety hazard without your knowledge.

"brake fluid flush" over a million hits
Just to enlarge on this a bit further (for those that may need it):
Since water boils at a relatively low temperature, when it does, it expands into vapor and thereby creates a gas in the brake lines. Since gasses are fairly compressible, your brakes behave pretty much just like when you have air in your brake lines ... it's spongy, allows way too much pedal travel, and ultimately doesn't apply proper hydraulic force to your brake pads to squeeze the rotor and make a short stop.

In short, YES, flushing your brake fluid periodically is a good thing. I try and do a flush at least every three years on most cars I've owned (BMW calls for every two). Also, it isn't a mileage issue at all, it's a time issue; even if the cars has just been sitting, it needs to be done.

i3eezenotch (07-12-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Oh ... and as far as turning the rotors goes (and I know there are those that will disagree) the proper way to do the job is to turn them when you put new pads on. If you are looking to do it on the cheap and don't plan on keeping the car long enough to realize the difference between doing it right or not (because that's where it will show up...is in the longevity and freedom from vibrations long term), then you can make that decision, but you should understand what choice you're making.

i3eezenotch (07-12-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Oh ... and as far as turning the rotors goes (and I know there are those that will disagree) the proper way to do the job is to turn them when you put new pads on. If you are looking to do it on the cheap and don't plan on keeping the car long enough to realize the difference between doing it right or not (because that's where it will show up...is in the longevity and freedom from vibrations long term), then you can make that decision, but you should understand what choice you're making.
Well I would be resurfacing them with the brake change. They feel fine now though. It's an 08 G35x and I plan on keeping it for probably another 2-5 years, depending on my financial situation...most likely closer to 4 or 5.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Are you getting the resurfacing done for free? It's a known TSB I had mine done last year no charge.

i3eezenotch (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lefizzet, which TSB is that? I've gone through all of them but don't see anything specific to rotors.

J

i3eezenotch (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by jcrayamsterdam
Lefizzet, which TSB is that? I've gone through all of them but don't see anything specific to rotors.

J
Here you go:

Make : INFINITI Model : G35 SEDAN Year : 2007
Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Service Bulletin Number : ITB-09-037 Date of Bulletin : AUG 06, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10030576
Component : SERVICE BRAKES, ELECTRIC
Summary :
INFINITI: WHILE BRAKING, ESPECIALLY WHEN BRAKING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, THE STEERING WHEEL SHAKES AND/OR THE BODY VIBRATES AND/OR THE BRAKE PEDAL PULSATES (ALSO KNOWN AS BRAKE JUDDER). *PE

i3eezenotch (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seconded on the brake fluid flush. I live 2000 ft above the valley floor and people are constantly boiling their brake fluid here, every day and night. You might not be that extreme but still.. The boiling point goes way down as it absorbs water from the atmosphere over time as mentioned. If you care about it, buy a few cans of ATE super blue DOT4 as it has much higher boiling temps both dry and wet than the cheap stuff infiniti puts in our cars.

Just get a cheap bleeding kit, prop up the car, and have your wife push on the pedal while you alternate between refilling the reservoir with new fluid and opening the bleeding screw with a wrench while the tube is on it. There are DIYS around for doing this, and the field service manual is pretty straightforward too. BTW the FSM recommends to disconnect the negative battery cable while doing this- something about making the ABS relieve pressure I think.

i3eezenotch (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by lefizzet
Are you getting the resurfacing done for free? It's a known TSB I had mine done last year no charge.
I thought that was primarily for the fronts and for judder only

Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM
But if there is no brake judder...is there a reason to resurface rotors? I heard that if you resurface them often, they thin out and get hotter faster and the brakes wear out faster, etc.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
But if there is no brake judder...is there a reason to resurface rotors? I heard that if you resurface them often, they thin out and get hotter faster and the brakes wear out faster, etc.
First of all, brake judder is primarily a disfunction of the front brakes.

Second, what is "too often" ?

Remembering that your brake rotors are "wear items", I don't think turning them once with the second set of pads is anything unusual or premature. If you can go 40-50k miles on a set of pads and then turn your rotors and do it again, you've gotten your moneys worth out of both your pads and rotors. Then replace your rotors with your third set of pads.

On other cars I've owned with cheap oem rotors, I've just swapped out the rotors at every pad change because the cost difference wasn't significant to turning them. If you want any further verification, call any professional brake shop and ask if they will warranty a brake job without either a new rotor or a freshly turned rotor. They won't; it's just not worth it.

IF you are really gentle on your brakes and they have had very little wear, they don't have to remove much material at all. It's even possible to turn them twice, but you'd have to have been a saint with them. As long as they are in spec after turning, they should perform at or very near new.

i3eezenotch (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I thought that was primarily for the fronts and for judder only
I just assumed it was since it's so common on our cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I need to get a brake fluid flush? Also, do I need to resurface rotors?