G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Can grounding wires really help this much?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can grounding wires really help this much?

K, I spent months researching this off and on before I decided WTH. I just got around to installing my 8-wire grounding kit from sentientbydesign. I took forever doing it because I tried to tuck & ziptier everywhere, cleaned up all of the grounding points with a wire brush, and used a steel wire wheel on a dremel to clean the transmission grounding point.

All I can saw is... wow!!

The lag between shifts is almost gone now. Before, I could count to around 1.5 seconds at times before the shift would happen. Now shifting feels a little smoother in automatic, but in manumatic w/ the paddle shifters it feels like a whole new car (always < 1 sec, usually around 1/2 a sec or something).

I took my wife out last night and she asked what I did to the stereo because everything is much clearer, and there is finally some bass- before I had to turn the bass all the way up and redirect to the rear and it was still anemic. Now it sounds like I installed a subwoofer. The bass is so improved that at half volume and without bass boost on my whole left leg vibrates when I rest it on the door. I didn't realize the stock factory sound could be so good. I think this had a lot to do with the ECU ground through the firewall, and then the short accessory ground I ran from the ECU to the grounding leads for the dash equipment.

Totally happy with this mod. If anyone is on the fence, just do it

Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
dunno how you got such a big difference, what grounding kit did you use?

Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know personally, but from what I hear the BB grounding kit is providing the same results for others

Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 AM
i dont want to talk down somebodys product, but i didnt get as good results as everybody says they got with BB and Stillen and SBD

Old 07-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Honestly speaking these are just wires with connectors, so if you use the same gauge wire and if you use the same mounting points then all the results should be the same.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Honestly speaking these are just wires with connectors, so if you use the same gauge wire and if you use the same mounting points then all the results should be the same.
^ yeah sorry lol i meant to include that iirc they all include their own mounting points so some will be different than others...? and idk if there is one for AWD but grounding the tranny in the place i was instructed to was not possible for me unless i took out the driveschaft...

Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
all i notice is the shifting is smoother. No extra power.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM
^+1 my shifting is a lot smoother, esp. in D i cant even feel it shift...but the speed of the shifts was not affected

Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What if you had an extra 3 or 4ft of 4awg wire from an amp kit with the proper connectors?

Does anyone really think it would make all that much difference if someone followed "Black Bettys" instructions but with their own 4awg wires?

I have the wire and I can find the connectors at Home Depot for $2.50/4. Is there something about the black betty kit, other than "gold connectors", that makes it that much better? I thought copper was copper and metal was metal.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by otbg35
What if you had an extra 3 or 4ft of 4awg wire from an amp kit with the proper connectors?

Does anyone really think it would make all that much difference if someone followed "Black Bettys" instructions but with their own 4awg wires?

I have the wire and I can find the connectors at Home Depot for $2.50/4. Is there something about the black betty kit, other than "gold connectors", that makes it that much better? I thought copper was copper and metal was metal.
Do it yourself and you won't be pissed when the results are not as expected. At least you didn't send 100 bucks to some guy to make his mortage when he sold you wire....lulz...snake oil i tell you. I would just use 8 gauge wire and decide what you want. I would ground throttle body, ground transmission and upgrade ground for engine, negative terminal on battery and run a secondary power wire to the alternator if you have a large system. Just look at pictures of G35 with grounding kit and read the link I give you. Just start with transmission, throttle body and ecu. Those should speed up shifts if not just smoothen the transition between gears.

If you are going to spend some real money then put it on a valve body upgrade not wire that is marked up 5x its value and you get couple zip-ties to make you feel better about it lulz...FAIL.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...tallation.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ml#post5992222

edit: 3 or 4 foot is not enough just buy some from knuconecptz or other vendors on ebay, partsexpress or any other website with quality wire for a fair price.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KFX8BK

Last edited by faiz23; 07-12-2011 at 08:24 PM.
GXXXV X (07-13-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Don't get me wrong- I've made cables before, but certainly not 4AWG. For me it was worth it. Also don't forget the cable to the ECU/dash grounding point- I think that's what improved my stereo more than anything.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by GXXXV X
i dont want to talk down somebodys product, but i didnt get as good results as everybody says they got with BB and Stillen and SBD
I had a lot of corrosion on all of the grounding points I was instructed to use... I cleaned them all off thoroughly with a wire brush, or a steel wire disc on a dremel in the case of the tranny. Just a thought.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, I am pretty new to the second gen Gs, but my paddle shifters seem to have virtually no lag whatsoever. 95% of the time they are essentially instant, and smoothness depends on what my RPMs are. Compared to my 04x, this car shifts like a dream. Do the sport models shift better? Am I just lucky?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Maybe you're lucky cause mine takes weeks to shift lol

GXXXV X (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
^lol weeks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can grounding wires really help this much?