G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Problems-Repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems-Repairs

Okay I just got back from the dealership and they came back with quite a few things that need repaired. I originally took it in knowing my front driver wheel bearing was bad. Here are the numbers:

Front wheel bearing: $500
Both front boots minor leaks: $500
Tensioner and drive belt: $500
AWD service: $350
Transmission Fluid Flush: $169
Coolant Flush: $169
Steering Fluid Flush: $169
Fuel Injector Service: $169
And one other thing I can't remember because I was freaking out: $130

All in all the total came out to be around $2650. I would need a frickin loan for all these services lol. According to the dealership, none of the services or flushes have ever been done and the front boots are leaking very minimal fluid. He said that those aren't horrible but once they are out I'd run chances of killing my axle. The wheel bearing is shot and the belt is beyond frayed and rotted. The fluid crap I'm not too worried about. The car does have 76k miles on it but I have heard that if the fluids are shut then don't mess with them. Once they get flushed you run more chances at problems with crap getting in.

Since I am a college student who isn't loaded with cash, I decided to only do the tensioner, belt, and wheel bearing. A solid $1000. Am I doing the right thing here or should I do other things?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
dude LOL i literally just got back from the dealership and alot of that crap was suggested to me.
was going to come out to like $1,300
Coolant flush i really easy to do
Power steering ... well idk about that, id have to look into trying it myself
one thing im gonna have to suck in for is 160$ for throttle body and fuel injection cleaning.

you can always try a local shop... which i might do

Old 08-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
btw how many miles on your G ?

nvm didnt read that part

Last edited by pricojorge; 08-11-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moLAL24
Okay I just got back from the dealership and they came back with quite a few things that need repaired. I originally took it in knowing my front driver wheel bearing was bad. Here are the numbers:

Front wheel bearing: $500
Both front boots minor leaks: $500
Tensioner and drive belt: $500
AWD service: $350
Transmission Fluid Flush: $169
Coolant Flush: $169
Steering Fluid Flush: $169
Fuel Injector Service: $169
And one other thing I can't remember because I was freaking out: $130

All in all the total came out to be around $2650. I would need a frickin loan for all these services lol. According to the dealership, none of the services or flushes have ever been done and the front boots are leaking very minimal fluid. He said that those aren't horrible but once they are out I'd run chances of killing my axle. The wheel bearing is shot and the belt is beyond frayed and rotted. The fluid crap I'm not too worried about. The car does have 76k miles on it but I have heard that if the fluids are shut then don't mess with them. Once they get flushed you run more chances at problems with crap getting in.

Since I am a college student who isn't loaded with cash, I decided to only do the tensioner, belt, and wheel bearing. A solid $1000. Am I doing the right thing here or should I do other things?
Here is a DIY for the belt. $500 is absurd, should take less than an hour. 1 hr labor plus parts does not cost $500.
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...bably-g37.html

You can also search for a steering fluid DIY, don't do that at the dealer.

All those fluid flushes/fuel injector stuff can be put off, its not required in schedule 1 or 2 maintenance plan, only for the premium one, especially if you don't drive hard.

Call another dealer for a quote, or a Nissan dealer, or a decent local garage regarding the belts/wheel bearings.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pricojorge
btw how many miles on your G ?
Read his post he states "The car does have 76k miles on it but I have heard that if the fluids are shut then don't mess with them. Once they get flushed you run more chances at problems with crap getting in."

As per my suggestion on the repairs. Go to a local shop and get a quote, hell even Firestone Auto Service is cheaper than the dealers and they usually do good work. If you are mechanically inclined, you can do all of these services yourself, however if you are only somewhat mechanically inclined you cans still do all the fluid changes yourself. If you know how to change brakes you can even do the wheel bearings, they are not that difficult.

The tensioner and the drive belt, well that is a PITA so leave this to the pros. I have experience replacing it on several other engines, not the VQ so I could be wrong on that one. Also its quite unusual for the tensioner to go, but it is possible.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tomek; 08-11-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
If you can order the parts yourself, you can do some or all of the repairs yourself that way it would be cheaper

Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomek
The tensioner and the drive belt, well that is a PITA so leave this to the pros. I have experience replacing it on several other engines, not the VQ so I could be wrong on that one. Also its quite unusual for the tensioner to go, but it is possible.
I doubt that the tensioner is bad, as for the belt its one of the easiest to do since the car has an auto-tensioner and there is only one belt. Should take 20mins and $25 tops with the posted DIY above.

The coolant, power steering and TB cleaning all are under the DIY section and are VERY easy to do though the TB might require the pedal reset method(also listed in the same DIY) to normalize your idle. All this should save you close to $1200 off the dealers estimate.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Another route if you dont want to diy then go to a lube shop like lube pros or NTB and they will do it for about 60-100 dollars cheaper than the dealership quoted you.....

Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Also the belt and wheel bearing get it done at a speed shop or a reputable mechanic it will save you another 200-400 dollars..... These are eazy things that anyone could do so your better of not going to a dealership....

Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I lived in Toledo and worked for Yark, please tell me you didn't go there

I took mine to a dealership in Texas and they were the same way as yours. When I got back to Ohio, I took it to the infinity dealership in the Dayton area and the laughed at all the stuff. The texas one said all my fluids were contaminated/ burnt, the Dayton one tested all three and laughed and told me there was no way they could check half the fluids without draining them. They said they are fine, but since it was coming up to my 60k I changed the diff and ATF fluid. The dealership in TX also inflated my tires 10psi too much. I had a scratch by my phone button and they wanted to replace the whole steering wheel. There was nothing wrong with my cluster lid, and I replaced my battery cover for $21 not $95.

Get a second opinion

Here is the TX dealerships report. I almost didn't buy the car

Old 08-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Find a good independent shop

Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
You need to do a 180 and get as far away from that dealership as you can...and fast.
Find a good mechanic who knows imports or go to a couple Nissan shops for quotes.
Maybe ask for a good Nissan mechanic in this section... https://g35driver.com/forums/northeast-38/

Old 08-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I wish I would have read this before I decided to do what I did. The wheel bearing was $500 and the tensioner and the belt were another $500. I'm pretty pissed now at being stupid lol. I knew the wheel bearing was going to be pricier since I did shop around. I know for a fact I got shafted on the tensioner and belt. He had told me the belt was horribly frayed and the tensioner was out. Complete BS. The belt looked great when he had it in my car. And the tensioner? Nothing seemed wrong with that either. I spent a grand on BS crap. I'm quite disappointed but have learned from my mistake. And to the MPohio, hell no I did not go to Yark. I refuse to go there. A bunch of cowards. I went there for an oil change one time and it took them 5 hours. And I had an 8 o'clock appointment!!! That's why I decided to go to Infiniti of Ann Arbor. Apparently they are cowards as well. Looks like next repair job is going to Dayton even though that's almost a 3 hour drive...

Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Most of this stuff(out of warranty) can be accomplished by most competent mechanics. There are plenty in Toledo. Just google around. Computer related stuff, well then You might want to come to dayton.

Hell, I did just about everything on my Boxster and it was the easiest car I ever worked on. Save your self a small fortune when it's time for the fluid changes and do them yourself

Just chalk this up an "investment" that will save you money in the furture. Do your home work ahead of time and take that ammo with you. An educated consumer is a much better prepared one

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.