G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

never letting my parents drive my car again... does this buff out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thanks for the help guys. Can someone explain why the marks are white? Is this some element under the paint or strictly from the wall? I tried water and a cloth but the white marks seem marred onto the panel? I would be okay if I could just get the white out and make it less noticeable for now.

and it was an accident I can't blame them. I am in no position to make them pay. They bought me my first car, a 1993 Camry in high school and I ended up totalling it one late night and they took care of it so if anything I owe them haha

Last edited by samsizzle; 09-05-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
Originally Posted by samsizzle
I'm going to pick up an orbital buffer for my meguiar yellow pad. Any tips? Should I try the scratch x with the pad, the ultimate compound or both? I have never tried to buff something out, I'm assuming the abrasive properties of the compounds will blend the paint with the surrounding areas?
that's prob the last thing you should be doing and simply a waste of money. Get at a clay bar kit from Walmart and see what comes off

Considering there is paint transfer to the piller you have clearly gone through your clear coat and almost definitely down to your primer. I had the same thing happen to my quarter panel last year, simple fact is you're gonna have to take it to a body shop.

Instead of wasting $200 on an orbital buffer and materials, which will only mess things up even worse - e.g. your gonna leave haze marks on your panel - because you've never buffed paint before, spend an extra $100 and have a body shop professionally repaint your panel.

Trust me, when it comes to fixing paint and dents, you should have a professional handle it. 99/100 a novice DIY-er is only gonna mess things up and end up paying more in the end

Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by samsizzle
thanks for the help guys. Can someone explain why the marks are white? Is this some element under the paint or strictly from the wall? I tried water and a cloth but the white marks seem marred onto the panel? I would be okay if I could just get the white out and make it less noticeable for now.
It's either down to primer or metal, or transfer from the pillar.

I've done one too many similar "clean-ups" either from my parents, or wife's car. Some of it will come off, but the scratches will remain for the most part.

The following users liked this post:
samsizzle (09-06-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
some of it will buff out but it wont go back to what it was you will still have scratches and a slight imperfection of the body may appear at certain angles of your vision. Most likely a fair estimate at a shop may quote you at 200-400 to fix. Sorry to see this happen!

samsizzle (09-06-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
can you feel the white parts with your nail?

Does it feel above or below the paint/

Old 09-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
yeah that's not going to buff out..at all

Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I would still make them pay for it. Its 100% their fault...

If your not then just take it to get repainted. You can make it look 2x as better i think with some compound and a buffer if its just transfer. But it won't look the same. If I were you I would definitely just take it to a shop.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
BEFORE you buff anything!!! . . .
There are solvents you can use that will take off that white latex paint (from the garage pillar), yet not damage your car's paint underneath IF you do it properly. I can't recall which solvent it is (lacquer thinner, acetone, or what ??), but my wife put a similar mark on a black car we had and I was amazed at how it just dissolved 99% of it without any buffing. I would talk to a body shop and ask what to use. I just went by a friend's body shop and asked him for an estimate. he went and got a rag and a can and wiped it for a minute and it all came off except for the scratches where it went through the car's paint. I did have to end up getting a repaint on the panel for those, but I could have lived with the scratches that were left after cleaning the white paint off if I had to.

samsizzle (09-06-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
There are solvents you can use that will take off that white latex paint (from the garage pillar), yet not damage your car's paint underneath IF you do it properly. I can't recall which solvent it is (lacquer thinner, acetone, or what ??), but my wife put a similar mark on a black car we had and I was amazed at how it just dissolved 99% of it without any buffing. I would talk to a body shop and ask what to use. I just went by a friend's body shop and asked him for an estimate. he went and got a rag and a can and wiped it for a minute and it all came off except for the scratches where it went through the car's paint. I did have to end up getting a repaint on the panel for those, but I could have lived with the scratches that were left after cleaning the white paint off if I had to.
will keep this in mind, gonna get some estimates/advice tomorrow and see what's up. I'll post back with my options. Thank you all for your insight, can't wait to have this ordeal settled and behind me ehh

Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
THANKYOUTHANKYIUYHANKYIUYHANKUIUYHANIUNAIUZN

http://imgur.com/a/jLaoV#MIIkw

Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
No problem

So, how many chips or scratches did you finally wind up with in the actual paint? Is it even worth repainting?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
still needs to be repainted stop being a panzy, take it to a good body shop and have it fixed dont be cheap you do drive a 30k plus car

Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ketchup83se01
still needs to be repainted stop being a panzy, take it to a good body shop and have it fixed dont be cheap you do drive a 30k plus car
WOW, it must be nice to have the enough money for discretionary expenses. Times are tough, not everyone else does, but good for you.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sorry for being blunt i just dont get how you can afford a car like this and not have a couple hundred to fix it properly

Old 09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
^ many reasons. Life is not always cut and dry. I could've bought 2 or 3 G's when i got it a few years back, but with things they were recently, i had trouble paying for 1 month's worth of rental while my car was under repair. If it got any worse, groceries for the family would've been an issue.

It's all relative. Let's just keep this civil and within the scope of what the OP has asked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: never letting my parents drive my car again... does this buff out?