G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Oil preferance (Use & Experience)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does nobody use the OEM filter? I priced the Wix from the local parts store and it was the same price as the dealer filter. So I just went with the dealer filter for now. This adviser also stated they use Ester oil only if you get engine noise other than that it is customer preference; standard oil or synthetic.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
I use a Royal Purple filter and Royal Purple HPS 10w30.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by rinaldi69
Does nobody use the OEM filter? I priced the Wix from the local parts store and it was the same price as the dealer filter. So I just went with the dealer filter for now. This adviser also stated they use Ester oil only if you get engine noise other than that it is customer preference; standard oil or synthetic.
There are some excellent threads on the comparison of the OEM filter to the WIX, Mobil 1, Purolator Pure1, and others. The consensus is fairly self evident after looking at pictures of the disassembled filters. The OEM is inferior to those three I listed. If they are the same price (and even if they aren't), I'd highly recommend using a premium brand oil filter over the OEM.

Maybe someone can link the thread with the dissection of all the oil filters.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I know on my old Porsche forum, they were **** about having their oil sent off for analysys. Every report showed wix/Napa gold out performed the OEM and almost all the others. Also the general consensus is unless you track your car, a good Synthetic(Castro or Mobil 1) and a wix filter is all you need. No gains were seen by using the high end oils for normal use.

As someone stated earlier, the reason the MFG's or even dealerships use a certain filter or oil, is because they got a deal on it.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
genuine Nissan oil and oil filter.... no synthetic nonsense. Can't go wrong!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by MPohio
Also the general consensus is unless you track your car, a good Synthetic(Castro or Mobil 1)
I track and Mobil 1 is still all i need.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
I track and Mobil 1 is still all i need.
I drive in "harsh" conditions, and my blackstone reports are perfectly fine with M1 and a Wix

Old 09-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
I drive in "harsh" conditions, and my blackstone reports are perfectly fine with M1 and a Wix
You win. Your "harsh" is way more taxing than whatever i put my car through.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by G35XX
Nissan does not make oil. They have a "ester" but it sucks.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by G35XX
Have you ever seen the inside of an OEM Nissan oil filter vs a quality name brand filter?

Metal >> cardboard

Old 09-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Surface area and media type are two fo the reasons the wix/nappa filters have been consistently rated higher than most.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

Excerpt:
One thing should be pretty clear if you have made it through this entire article. While there are dozens of oil filter brands out there, there are only a few actual manufacturers. Most filters you see on the shelf are sold by companies that don't actually make oil filters. The exceptions are Baldwin/Hastings, Champ, Donaldson, Purolator, and Dana/WIX. Those are actual manufacturers and you can be fairly certain of what is inside the can. Although Fram hasn't made filters in decades, it seems that the brand is tied closely enough to Honeywell that you can be pretty sure about what is in the orange can (for better or for worse).

Old 09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Posted this Blackstone report awhile back about Mobil 1 0w 30.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-eng...-analysis.html

Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 AM
My 2 cents...
I like to use Purolator PureOne filter or the Fram Toughguard (not the other models), great quality and price. I have used Mobil 1 and Mobile 1 EP in various mixes. I am currently playing with Redline which is an ester based oil just out of curiosity. Unfortunately, it costs just as much as Amsoil and Motul. It did silence the "ticking" noise I had on start up from the driver side engine. The tick was not that loud but once you hear it, you notice it everytime. Kind of like a small chip in your paint. I did also make the engine slightly quieter in general but this may be a placebo effect, the diffeence was small. I did not notice a gain in performance or mileage (as compared to Mobil 1 stuff).

I wanted to experiment with an ester based oil like Redline or Motul since Amsoil and Mobil 1 products do not make written claims to contain ester, even if they have stated it in some emails or verbally. They could change their chemistry tomorrow and are under no obligation to tell anyone that the ester was removed. They are good oils but I really wanted to see if the ester oil played nicer with the "diamond like coating" DLC on the HR and VHR motors.

I agree that if you change oils at 3750 miles that you can probably use any quality oil without bad things happening to your engine as a result. I just figure that for $20 more 3 times a year is not too high a price for added insurance and fun factor, lets face it high tech oils are fun.

Last edited by rustyeleio; 09-19-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Have you ever seen the inside of an OEM Nissan oil filter vs a quality name brand filter?

Metal >> cardboard
well, if anything goes wrong, I'll blame it on Nissan/Infiniti.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
That'll do little good when/if you're out of warranty.

The only oem filter I've used that was worth a damn was the motorcraft ones

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil preferance (Use & Experience)