G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Oil preferance (Use & Experience)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil preferance (Use & Experience)

Of course I'm brand new to this forum and brand new to an infiniti..... But I'm not brand new to a forum or Nissans..... I love em and have had plenty. My question is relating to the 07 and newer "HR" motors.....

I would like to know what people with the "HR" motors recommend/use for oil pertaining directly to either Motul or Amsoil?

Also piggybacked to that question what is recommended/used for the oil filter?

I have done a lot of research this morning calling a bunch of dealers in Florida and in California to see what they recommend pertaining to the oil. From my research I have concluded that most dealers use the Ester based only if required by the customer, but otherwise most used regular, castrol, and Mobil 1 (More in Cali). Some dealers recommended the Ester based. A few used the Motul as well (Cali). JGY Customs (Virginia) and Performance Nissan in Durate (Cali) Also recommend using Motul.

From what I've heard is that with the "HR" motors you hear engine noise and especially at high rpms if your not using and Ester based oil. In light of this I'm currently leaning more towards Motul but haven't quite ruled out Amsoil yet. Yes I know my car is currently stock and eventually I may add a supercharger down the line and then upgrade to a higher grade in the oil class or change the oil more often. I also know that Motul and Amsoil cost more, so what.... I'd rather have the peace of mind for a small amount more per oil change that when you average it out over the course of a couple years its all a wash as for the price point.

I also called both Motul and Amsoil and asked them about it. Amsoil claims they use a PAO base and have some Esters in their oil. Motul of course confirmed they are an Ester based oil.

The reason I'm posting this up is to see what other forum members know from experience and using some of the diff types of Motul and Amsoil. Thanks for any and all information....

Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
We went through a lot of debate in my old porsche thread. General cosensus was Castro syntech over Mobil 1, as mobil went off the old standard. I couldn't find Castro in my recommended weight, so I did go with Mobil 1 this time. You can find it on sale at autozone ($10 off coupon). I actually had success using the $10 off coupon at walmart and got a 5gal jug for $17 (but I think it YMMV on that one).
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...4426&t=3290208

There are a lot roral and other highend lovers out there, but Since I still change my oil about every 5k to 7k miles, I stick with the cheaper mobil 1. I do use the Napa gold filters though(same as wikk(sp)). I drove my Boxster S like a bat out of hell and never had any engine trouble or any other.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
with this car and my former acura i have always used mobil 1 and mobil 1 filters. i use the extended mileage oil which is rated for 15,000 miles of use. whether i do alot of highway driving or not i always change at the 15k mark. i had 147k miles on my acura tl when i got rid of it and the engine was always smooth.

of course you will hear alot of debate but in the end it's your choice and as long as you stick to the recommended change intervals you'll be ok.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic for years and years on all of my cars.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've used Amsoil in every infiniti I have ever owned with great results. I just tried out Castrol Edge in my 08 and it runs nicely with it as well. Got 6 quarts of oil and a mobil 1 filter for $30 at O'Rileys a couple months back. It was on special when it first came out.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I use Mobil 1 and Napa Gold (Wix) or K&N oil filter, changing oil at every 5k miles due to my type of driving (considered "harsh," lots of stop/go and short distance driving ).

My Blackstone labs report show nothing out of the ordinary, so there's no reason for me to change to more expensive oil. IMO, neither should anyone else.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Awethentik

... I also know that Motul and Amsoil cost more, so what.... I'd rather have the peace of mind for a small amount more per oil change that when you average it out over the course of a couple years its all a wash as for the price point.

Ehh, this is the point where I would have to disagree with you. Well, at least if you're stating it as a general truism. As I've said before, the simple truth is that people who like to use the ultimate, over-the-top, n-th degree products on their precious mechanical babies are ultimately doing it because it makes them feel good. I would guess that fully 95% of the people who treat their cars to such lavish treatment will NEVER see the return in reliability or longevity to justify the added expense over either a cheaper synthetic (blended or not!) or even just a quality dino oil. People don't keep their cars long enough for it to matter. In most cases, the cars will end up scrapped and filling junkyards for reasons other than lubrication related failures or inadequacies.

If you want the ultimate, by all means, go right ahead, but I don't think it's fair to say that it's a sound economical practice. Unless you have a significant justification (like FI or frequently tracking the car), the "truth" is it just feels good.

The following users liked this post:
drivethefive (09-20-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 PM
What about engine noise at high rpm's? Noone has an issue with this?

Also I have looked at dyno charts so IMO there is no reason to REDLINE the car as the power starts falling off at 7K so that's where I have been shifting at when I'm in the GO FAST mood. But from what I've read and a couple of people have said, there is usually engine noise when not using the Ester based oil.......?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 PM
The HR motor at high rpms is a loud motor, period. I would think the reduction of noise, if any at all, gained by using a more "esoteric" oil would not be noticeable at that rpm/speed.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
castrol edge been using it since i bought my car in 2008 and it runs smooth.
(The screen savers) has a test sheet on this question and castrol was one of the best oils among mobil amsoil motul and royal purple and other kinds

Old 09-13-2011, 09:45 PM

What about engine noise at high rpm's? Noone has an issue with this?

Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
The HR motor at high rpms is a loud motor, period. ..
Like E-Ticket said, it's just the nature of the beast. THe HR motor's NVH has been the gripe of all the "We suck on anything German" auto mags since it's inception. I don't see any motors failing for it, just an idiosyncracy that you need to get used to. I noticed it a lot when I first got the car (53K miles ago), since then I've actually grown to like it.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I think you may be getting my question a lil confused... I love the sound of the exhaust and the engine. But the consensus I've heard is that it's harsh sounding at High rpm, meaning that the engine sounds is straining, or like something is going to break. I mean I haven't really heard that in my car per say that or at least from what I've noticed over the first 4k that I've put on it. But to what I've heard it seems that people are worried about the engine noise coming from damage to the engine because the lack of quality in the type of oil being used.

All in All I'm just looking for the best protection because like every other tuner head, performance junkie, hot rod, etc. I love to drive and FAST!!! So I will def. be putting some hard miles on the engine/tranny and want to have the best protection that I can get.

I mean Shhhh I did a donut only having it a month, and let me say this car shocked the hell out of me.... This is my first RWD car but I didn't expect the G to perform quite as well as it does. I did a quick one with 3 passes and it was a **** perfect circle!

Back to the oil.... I'm just looking to get the best protection for the engine/tranny and then be consistent with the engine/gear oil and filter that I use.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 PM

I think you may be getting my question a lil confused... I love the sound of the exhaust and the engine. But the consensus I've heard is that it's harsh sounding at High rpm, meaning that the engine sounds is straining, or like something is going to break. ...
Nope, we know exactly what it is you're talking about. It is called NVH and your engine is not going to break because of it.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 PM

I mean Shhhh I did a donut only having it a month, and let me say this car shocked the hell out of me.... This is my first RWD car but I didn't expect the G to perform quite as well as it does. I did a quick one with 3 passes and it was a **** perfect circle!
I bounced the rev limiter on the way home from the dealer, I win!

Seriously though, it's NVH and it isn't going away. The VQ motor isn't the smoothest motor out there, but we all knew that going into the ball game

Last edited by E-Ticket Ride; 09-13-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Ok... had to do a lil more research on what NVH actually was.... Noise, Vibration, Harshness.... lol Wiki goes real in depth with the whole science of it. But still back to my question has there been any reviews of using either the Motul or Amsoil that eliminated this or subsided it?

I know that E-Ticket said it may be hard to tell a diff. but just wondering if anyone noticed anything diff. Because as the dealer tells it they recommend the Ester base because of this or maybe other noise they were talking about (Lifters)... I mean I don't know that's why I'm asking.

All in All oil def. makes a different whether some people want to admit it or not! I know a guy personally that races a Late Model (Nascar Type) with a built 350 and informed me that Royal Purple loses HP on the dyno. He also informed me that Amsoil is the best from what he and other guys he knows that race but because of price and frequency of change, he just runs Mobil 1. If he had the money he said by all means he would run the Amsoil though. Asked him about Motul and he had never heard of it.

Point being oil does matter, and I honestly feel like it is something that can be perceived small but makes a huge difference. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil preferance (Use & Experience)