G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Bluetooth A2DP? RCA Input for my Phone? Help Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bluetooth A2DP? RCA Input for my Phone? Help Please!

Hey, everyone. This is actually my first post and I really like these forums -I find this place very helpful!

I just purchased my 2008 G35X and I'm actually not quite sure what package it has. I know it has the Bose audio system, LCD in-dash radio screen, no navigation or rear view camera, RCA input and iPod in the armrest, and it has the Bluetooth for placing and receiving calls. Hopefully from this information you'd be able to conclude what packages I have installed.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions with how I should address this little problem I have going on.

What I originally wanted to accomplish was to have A2DP (so I can wirelessly stream audio from my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket) via Bluetooth and hopefully even output YouTube videos and other media via Bluetooth to the in-dash screen. Better yet, to output my Skyrocket's screen to the in-dash so I can make my music, YouTube videos, Internet Browser, GPS, and more all on my phone display on my in-dash LCD screen.

My Android sees the G35 only as a phone icon and not with a headphones icon in the Bluetooth devices list (my friend's Genesis Coupe that had A2DP and worked showed up as a device with a headphones icon, but not with a phone icon.

So, I'm guessing my G35 totally does not have Bluetooth A2DP and can only support placing and receiving calls and things of that nature via Bluetooth.

Now, I see a cable in my armrest compartment extending out to be an iPod cable (which I find to be nothing of help) and an RCA (video and LR audio) input and I'm pretty sure there's something I can do there to output both video and audio from my Skyrocket Android phone to the in-dash LCD monitor.

I hope all this text hasn't confused you but I really appreciate your time into reading this.
What I ultimately am trying to seek is the best method to output both video and audio from my Skyrocket Android phone either via Bluetooth or RCA. I'm also trying to see if anyone had already overcame this and found a great stress-free way to accomplish what I'm doing. I don't even know if there's a way to alter the in-dash system's OS to perhaps enable A2DP connectivity, but because I'm a tech geek, I might have to if possible.

BTW, I looked everywhere for a MicroUSB to RCA cable for my phone (because my phone can output video) but my phone is very new so that it only has a cable from MicroUSB to HDMI. I know they sell HDMI to RCA, but that seems tedious and that's a lot of wires.

Thank you all!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable at Wal Mart which I use to stream music. Doesn't have video, but the car won't play video while in motion anyway. I believe there is a device you can buy to trick the car into thinking its stationary, but cannot confirm.

I change phones frequently, and some have a better audio output than others. My current device had great output, but some of them have to be turned all the way up to get decent volume.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Thanks for that advice. Oh, I didn't even know that if video was to be successfully outputted that it must only be when the vehicle is stationary. Well, that's sorta lame. I actually already have a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable, it just does not have a video (yellow) cable with it.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chronolithic
Thanks for that advice. Oh, I didn't even know that if video was to be successfully outputted that it must only be when the vehicle is stationary. Well, that's sorta lame. I actually already have a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable, it just does not have a video (yellow) cable with it.
You can't even enter Nav when the car is moving...you know....safety.

That is the same cable that I've got....is perfect for playing music from your phone through the car.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Also, 3.5mm>RCA will trump the audio quality of BT any day.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:43 AM
That's very true. Maybe I should just forget the A2DP method and try outputting via 3.5mm to RCA.

I believe my ultimate accomplishment is to have the video on my phone screen and audio from my phone to go from 3.5mm to the RCA inputs so I can see what's on my phone via the in-dash LCD monitor.

Unfortunately, that kind of cable is permissible only with a few older phones like the Samsung Galaxy S and I have the Galaxy S II Skyrocket. That 3.5mm to RCA Video and Audio will work with the Galaxy S but not the Skyrocket; the Skyrocket uses a microUSB to HDMI but the car has RCA so my big question is if it will work if I get an HDMI to RCA converter.

I mean...it would be terrific if I could get my entire Android phone screen to display on my in-dash LCD monitor to have my GPS app, Music app, and others just appear like that.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im curious as well

Old 12-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, what I did was that I tested it out by plugging my Nintendo Wii's RCA cords into the plugs but it will only work if it's in park and if the parking brake is on. I guess it's useless unless I somehow make a bypass but I believe that will void my warranty.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chronolithic
Well, what I did was that I tested it out by plugging my Nintendo Wii's RCA cords into the plugs but it will only work if it's in park and if the parking brake is on. I guess it's useless unless I somehow make a bypass but I believe that will void my warranty.
I'd concern yourself more with the legality of that modification rather than your warranty.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might want to look into a "Sprint FIPO" unit. That's what I use, with a cradle for my SGII. Dock the phone next to the center console, and swipe my playlist wirelessly. The FIPO connects via bluetooth, and hooks up to your iPod cable. The G thinks its an iPod (for audio only). The only thing is that it doesn't support is the steering wheel controls for previous/next track. That has to be done through the phone. My cradle broke last weekend, but am going to replace it soon. I'll put up pics if you want.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by SpidersG35
You might want to look into a "Sprint FIPO" unit. That's what I use, with a cradle for my SGII. Dock the phone next to the center console, and swipe my playlist wirelessly. The FIPO connects via bluetooth, and hooks up to your iPod cable. The G thinks its an iPod (for audio only). The only thing is that it doesn't support is the steering wheel controls for previous/next track. That has to be done through the phone. My cradle broke last weekend, but am going to replace it soon. I'll put up pics if you want.
SpidersG35, I cannot thank you enough! Yes, please post pictures up. Thank you so much for the amazing response. This sounds wayyyyy better than what I had in mind. I know it will probably not be possible anytime soon to output my Galaxy SII's video to my in-dash LCD (not that I really want to anymore) since there is no conversion kit for my 2008 G35x yet.

And...I would actually like to NOT have my 3.5mm Aux cable all up in my seat and arm rest while driving. So, basically, this device connects to your iPod jack in the arm rest and power is also being supplied to the bluetooth device through that iPod cable?

Oh man I wish I could change tracks with the steering wheel controls...but I guess that is only if the tracks are being displayed on my in-dash LCD (or if it was an iPod).

Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Hey guys I purchased this unit off of ebay and received it today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190564405105...84.m1497.l2649

It is supposed to be just like the FIPO unit but just a knock off version as they don't make the FIPO anymore and I cannot find one A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-EEEE. I've literally scoured the darkest corners of the internet. When I finally found an auction for one the guy outbid me by paying $100....I believe these were about 20 bucks when they came out! So anyways I bought this black A2DP unit but the ipod cable in the center glove box does not power the unit. Even with an iphone, the phones screen says "will not power accessory." The way the unit works is it draws power from the cord then connects via bluetooth to any type of phone to play music. Is mine broken or do none of our G's ipod cords power the units? If I do find another FIPO unit, does this unit also need to be powered by the wire? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the link! Ok so let me get this straight. They don't make Sprint A2DP Bluetooth Transmitter FIPO units anymore and you're using an aftermarket/knockoff and it does not draw power via the iPod connector in the armrest compartment? I believe spider said that it does have the capacity to charge the iPhone/iPod (drawing power as well as data) but I believe this malfunction is due to our devices being newer than the iPod controller or connector.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 AM
yeah no offense but just by looking at the picture of the product it looks so cheap

Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Thats the link that I bought my A2DP thing from but I don't suggest buying it. Unless for some reason your center gloves ipod cord doesda in fact charge devices while mine doesn't. Can any one confirm whether the cirs is supposed to charge or not?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth A2DP? RCA Input for my Phone? Help Please!