G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Red parking lights... Stay on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Red parking lights... Stay on?

First off let me start by saying i recently swapped my parking lights from amber to red. I love the look but I'm afraid they are not legal and I have not spoken to any local police about them. I'm worried because they stay on when I am not only parked, but driving with my headlights on (as I'm sure they're supposed to).

Is there any way to turn them off while the other headlights are on/are they even supposed to be on I thought they were only supposed to be in when the car is on and is in park hence "parking lights" though Infiniti calls them clearance lights)? And if there isn't a solution IS it illegal? I always thought you could have red or blue lights but not simultaneously/on together, yet I'm afraid to find out the hard way.

I appreciate it.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I highly doubt red lights are legal but I'm not from your state. I know that trend came and went when I was in highschool many moon ago and it certainly was not legal in PA. Not only because it can be confused as police car markings but also because red lights are only for the rear and can possibly disorient another driver. However, in pa it was illegal to do anything at all different to your car.....conformity!

There's no existing switch to turn the parking lights off when you have the headlights on. Corner lights are placed and meant to be on at night for a reason to adhere to DOT rules. Anything is possible with some rewiring and relays if you want them to turn off. It is definitely illegal to not have corner lamps on at night so you can get ticketed for that, however I suppose you have a better chance of slipping by with them off rather then illuminated in red. Not really worth the hassle imo.

Last edited by G force; 12-28-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G force
I highly doubt red lights are legal but I'm not from your state. I know that trend came and went when I was in highschool many moon ago and it certainly was not legal in PA. Not only because it can be confused as police car markings but also because red lights are only for the rear and can possibly disorient another driver. However, in pa it was illegal to do anything at all different to your car.....conformity!

There's no existing switch to turn the parking lights off when you have the headlights on. Corner lights are placed and meant to be on at night for a reason to adhere to DOT rules. Anything is possible with some rewiring and relays if you want them to turn off. It is definitely illegal to not have corner lamps on at night so you can get ticketed for that, however I suppose you have a better chance of slipping by with them off rather then illuminated in red. Not really worth the hassle imo.
Thank you for the info!I guess I'll put the white LEDs back in there since I never had any problems with police and those :/

Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
LOL, yes Red light at your front parking lights will most definitely get you a ticket.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought these from Autozone for side marker (in headlight housing):
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=480754_0_0_

After An oem bulb burned out.. I said 'for 9 bucks why not?'
They look interesting. Haven't had a problem yet i think because they S L O W L Y change color, and they're not bright enough to outpower the head lamps.

the only downside is when you first put them in they change color in sequence, but the timing erodes after a while.

They've lasted roughly 9 months

Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by willdogs
LOL, yes Red light at your front parking lights will most definitely get you a ticket.
Most definitely.... blue lights also for the reason of confusion with police vehicles. I had color-change fog lights on my old car when I lived in FL and got pulled over for having the blue lights on.