G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Coasting Downhill in Neutral - ATX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
vqsmile, i think i'm reading your last sentence wrong or something....do you mean towing automatic FWD, RWD OR AWD cars with rear wheels on the ground? i mean obviously on a FWD it wouldn't matter, and on a RWD you obviously wouldn't want it in park, but i see plenty of motor homes towing their jeeps behind them with 4 wheels on the ground, and most of us go through belt driven car washes in neutral so i think im missing where you're going with that...and just as a clarification, i'm not disagreeing i'm just not seeing what you're trying to get at for some reason.

and good point about the transmission.
Yeah, I was actually just referring to general instructions from nearly all auto manufacturers regarding towing cars with an automatic tranny. You ALWAYS have to lift any 'driven' wheels. Whether it's FWD, RWD, or AWD, you must lift its driven wheels. When you refer to seeing a jeep being flat towed, it's most likely a manual tranny. Additionally, jeeps and other 4x4 vehicles have a transfer case that can be shifted to neutral, thereby disconnecting the engine and tranny entirely from the driveshafts; totally different scenario!

Oh, and rolling through a car wash is not an issue given the short distance and speeds involved.

Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Whats the differences from AT vs MT? Both can be in N. It would be the same
NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Differences are huge

Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Yeah, I was actually just referring to general instructions from nearly all auto manufacturers regarding towing cars with an automatic tranny. You ALWAYS have to lift any 'driven' wheels. Whether it's FWD, RWD, or AWD, you must lift its driven wheels. When you refer to seeing a jeep being flat towed, it's most likely a manual tranny. Additionally, jeeps and other 4x4 vehicles have a transfer case that can be shifted to neutral, thereby disconnecting the engine and tranny entirely from the driveshafts; totally different scenario!

Oh, and rolling through a car wash is not an issue given the short distance and speeds involved.

NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Differences are huge

vq, good point! i keep forgetting that the jeeps have those options.

i'm beginning to wonder about the car wash though....because doesn't the belt have a paddle that basically tows you by one wheel, and drags the others? i've never checked out how they work.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
^^ Nope, there's no dragging any wheels at any carwashes I've seen. They just put it in neutral and the cars rolls through with the one wheel being motivated by their track mechanism.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know how to prevent the car from downshifting and revving the engine when going down hill?

I go down this long hilly street everyday and it eventually flattens out at the end for 1/4 a mile. What annoys me about the G35x is that it won't coast and pick up speed as I go down the hill if I don't have my foot on the gas.

It always downshifts and I get this surge/slow down feel.

In all of my other cars, I just coast down the hill and without my foot on the gas, I would go from 30MPH to 50-60MPH then coast ALL the way down the road to the end.

With the G35x, I try and coast it but it just stays at 30MPH and sometimes even slows down even more to 25MPH then at the end portion of the road, I have to use the gas pedal...

Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by chris2k5
Anyone know how to prevent the car from downshifting and revving the engine when going down hill?

I go down this long hilly street everyday and it eventually flattens out at the end for 1/4 a mile. What annoys me about the G35x is that it won't coast and pick up speed as I go down the hill if I don't have my foot on the gas.

It always downshifts and I get this surge/slow down feel.

In all of my other cars, I just coast down the hill and without my foot on the gas, I would go from 30MPH to 50-60MPH then coast ALL the way down the road to the end.

With the G35x, I try and coast it but it just stays at 30MPH and sometimes even slows down even more to 25MPH then at the end portion of the road, I have to use the gas pedal...
Well, you can try two things: Shift into manual mode and select the highest gear, or shift into neutral and coast.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well is the transmissions are similar to those in other cars, you are causing a great deal of wear and tear on your transmission by coasting in neutral down a hill

This is not the most technical explanation, but basically when in neutral, and rolling down a hill, the internals are still spinning but there the system is not pressurized which keeps the transmission cooled, lubricated

The reason this does not effect a manual, is because when you put it in neutral, you are disengaging the transmission parts effected

As for the car wash think about it, how much heat/ friction are you going to build up in a transmission going 40 feet at 1 mph vs rolling down a hill at 70MPG for several miles?

Thats why you can put it through the car wash, but not tow it in neutral with the rear wheels down.

While the damage will not be immediate, you are taking life off of your transmission

Old 03-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
GT500 is right, when i first read this i thought who would do such a ridiculous thing, rev-matching or not, your tranny output shaft is spinning pretty fast while your idleing the motor, and the tranny eternals.. its just stupid....

Old 03-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1+ for GNN Never put an auto in neutral and coast down hills. Your still spinning out put shaft at high rpm and you trans pump is barely spinning. So you can cook your transmission fluid which will cause trans Clutches to wear faster amongst other possible problems. And gas saving is very little if any.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1+ for GNN Never put an auto in neutral and coast down hills. Your still spinning out put shaft at high rpm and you trans pump is barely spinning. So you can cook your transmission fluid which will cause trans Clutches to wear faster amongst other possible problems. And gas saving is very little if any.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
No gas savings and no benefits to putting it in N, I dont get why anyone would do this.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
No gas savings and no benefits to putting it in N, I dont get why anyone would do this.
I know alot of you are saying there are no gas savings in doing this but it really feels like you are saving gas because you dont feel the car being slowed down by the down shifting and engine braking when in D and it actually coasts like regular cars when in N. Or you can do the ECU reset and it will coast and roll when you let go of the gas pedal (this works for like the first few days and then it goes back to slowing down after it learns your driving habits)

Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you're better off just putting it into manual mode and making sure the car is in 5th. I think that's all us 5AT folks can do in that scenario in terms of gas savings going down hills.