G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Hotchkis vs. Eibach Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drivethefive
hey anyone with an S model that upgraded sways want to sell me their "S" rear sway?
I'll sell you mine after I install my Eibachs

Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumping an old thread. Almost didn't catch that this was last year.

I'll be selling the S model sways off my G37S Sedan 6MT after upgrading. Wasn't planning on doing it this year, but a used set of Eibach's was just made available to me, and I think I might go for it. What does anyone suppose is a reasonable ask for a set of OEM sport sways?

Old 11-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread. I am thinking about sway bar upgrade for my G35S RWD as well.

Sounds like Eibach can be set up better for street because the front is adjustable as well as the rear?

I read the the ride quality will suffer some what with sway upgrade, and seems like hotchkis is a little too much for street use?

I track my car a few times a year, but I don't want the ride quality suffers too badly because this is also my kid transportation as well

Old 11-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
AWD Sport with Tech
Can anyone post pics of their sways installed?

Old 11-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by stockae92
Sorry to bump an old thread. I am thinking about sway bar upgrade for my G35S RWD as well.

Sounds like Eibach can be set up better for street because the front is adjustable as well as the rear?

I read the the ride quality will suffer some what with sway upgrade, and seems like hotchkis is a little too much for street use?

I track my car a few times a year, but I don't want the ride quality suffers too badly because this is also my kid transportation as well
I have the Hotchkis front and rear and yes it is too much for the bad streets in the bay area imo.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Sway bars barely do **** unless you have no other suspension upgrades, in which case springs/coilovers should be your priority.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Aftermarket swaybars are the single best bolt-on modification you can do for the G. Match that mod with some quality summer-only tires, and you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it first.

Also, sways are for lateral support, and don't really affect ride comfort.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:21 AM
the suspension becomes less independent. so bumps on only one side of the car jostle everything. straight line comfort is mostly unaffected - ie the softness or hardness of the ride. the rear is too tight with the hotchkis for my liking on my crummy roads. i have the same suspension upgrades on my 330i except for the sway bars and I much prefer its ride. if i were tracking the car, i'd have a differing opinion.

also if you do go with the Hotchkis, be sure to keep it well lubricated.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
So far I am leaning towards Eibach, set them to softest for street, and crank them up a on a (smooth) track

I wonder how doesn't the ride and handling compare to the stock S setup?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by stockae92

All sway bars do is keep the suspension on both sides moving together. It will not make as big of a difference on ride quality as springs or struts since those are the parts that really dictate road feel.

When it comes to finding a better working sway bar, a larger diameter is what matters more than whether the bar is solid or hollow. In most cases, because of the way the bar is being stressed under normal use, that larger diameter hollow bar like a Progressive or Hotchkiss might be stronger than a smaller, solid bar like the Eibach.

Progressive also makes some adjustable sway bars for the G, and they seem to be a more affordable option.

Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Sway bars barely do **** unless you have no other suspension upgrades, in which case springs/coilovers should be your priority.
Tires, struts/shocks, and sway bars are the three best mods you can do for better traction. In fact, I would say that these are the only suspension mods that do anything for traction. Our tires are the only contact point with the road so we only have as much traction as our tires allow. The struts/shocks keep the wheels planted to the ground so we only use as much of the tires capabilities as our struts allow. Sway bars will keep your car from transfering weight in turns, giving you more traction in turns. Springs do help hold the car up, and they can effect traction, but their main job is to transfer road feel to the driver.

Most coilovers on the market aren't balanced properly since they are adjustable height, and springs bring nothing to the table here but lowering the center of gravity even though it off balances your cars center of gravity and stiffen the ride feel at the same time, which combined can feel like performance has been improved.

Last edited by dofu; 11-07-2014 at 01:02 PM.