G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Top Speed exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by smokinn85
Huh...I've never heard of stainless steel rusting. Discolor...sure....rust...not to my knowledge.
Well it is if that's what this system is really made out of. I'll post pics once I get the time to.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by kristof
Heard back from TopSpeed today.

My issue that's becoming a big issue is RUST....the tips of the exhaust, inside the tips, all welding points, the hangers, and edges of the mufflers are rusting pretty badly. This is just what I can see from kneeling down behind the car, haven't checked any of the piping under the car. I wash my car often and clean the tips and muffler canisters every time I do. The car hasn't been washed in about 3 weeks now because it has snowed on and off for that amount of time not counting the below freezing temp . Plus I've traveled for the holidays back and forth to an area that stays pretty nasty because of coal trucks etc. and within this time is when I've started noticing the rust and I'm assuming it's because of the salt.

TopSpeed said they were rusting already because of the conditions I've submitted the exhaust system to (first time its snowed like this here in Kentucky this season, and longest time it's been since the exhaust has been cleaned) and that there was nothing wrong with them doing that. He said they are metal and eventually metal does rust stainless steel or not. He advised me to use a stainless steel polish to clean the surface rust off and then coat it with a stainless steel polish and that should take care of the rust. He said I needed to do this on a regular basis.....

Honestly, at this point the only thing I'm impressed with on this exhaust system is the sound. The Fitment is bad, the tips are HORRIBLE, and now rust already? To me this is unacceptable no matter how good you take care of the exhaust only after 3 months. Hell, I had cheap ebay exhaust on my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT for over 4 YEARS with out cleaning it or polishing it ever and when I sold the car there wasn't one spot of rust on that system and the fitment was 100% on just like OEM.That exhaust system and car was put through hell and back and it looked 10 times better after 4 years then this exhaust does in 3 months. If the "conditions I've submitted the exhaust too" is less then a month of road salt in Kentuckys atmosphere then I would hate to see what it looks like by this time next year.

I'm glad some of you has had good luck out of this exhaust but if my mind doesn't change I will be removing this exhaust and going back stock soon. I'll just wait until I an find a good deal on the exhaust system I really wanted in the first place. I loved the price and sound of this exhaust but that has obviously backfired for me in general. Hopefully everyone else's will continue to hold up.
That's a damn shame, sounds like they really went low budget w/ the latest round in more ways than just the tips. No rust at all on mine, just the dark weld areas, but that's not uncommon. After reading your reply I went over mine pretty closely and nothing at all rusting. Sucks to hear what you're going through, sounds like TS doesn't want to hear your problems either

Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
That's a damn shame, sounds like they really went low budget w/ the latest round in more ways than just the tips. No rust at all on mine, just the dark weld areas, but that's not uncommon. After reading your reply I went over mine pretty closely and nothing at all rusting. Sucks to hear what you're going through, sounds like TS doesn't want to hear your problems either
Ahhh, I figured for what I paid for the exhaust there wouldn't be much that would be done about it. Just sucks for me because now I have to worry about either have a rusty looking exhaust system on my car which would look like crap or just put the OEM exhaust back on until I can get something else. If an exhaust system needs as much care as I'm already giving it plus more then I'm not sure it's worth having on my car. I wash the mufflers every single time I wash the car, that's way more effort than I've ever put into any exhaust system I've had on my other vehicles.

If I do keep the exhaust any longer I'm for sure going to be painting the mufflers themselves with some type of anti-corrosion paint and then flat black. But the tips I'm not sure, may just have them replaced. That's all according to whether or not I just pull the thing off my car and shove it in storage.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That sucks Kristof. Their Customer service is non existent. Buy from them and good luck if anything goes wrong. I won't make that mistake again.

Chicago hasn't seen snow or salt yet. Will monitor as the winter progresses and will see what the exhaust looks like by March. All I can say is keep rocking it until it falls apart and then put the OEM back on or start saving your pennies for a Made in America exhaust that actually has a warranty. That's my plan.

On a lighter note, my exhaust tips came in from Fast Intentions:

Attached Thumbnails Top Speed exhaust-2013-01-03194249_zpse2ba3b37.jpg   Top Speed exhaust-2013-01-03194313_zps74bd24ed.jpg   Top Speed exhaust-2013-01-03194425_zps57c4c995.jpg  

Last edited by Sweet Lew; 01-04-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Stainless steal can rust and corrode. It just takes longer. There are greater than 150 grades of SS.

Try the magnet test. If a magnet 'sticks' to the SS then it's a low grade. If the magnet will not 'stick' then it is a higher grade of SS with a higher nickel content and greater resistance to corrosion.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:14 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Gonna pick this up sooner or later, living in Cali I don't have to worry about rust.

Unfortunately they upped the price to $550 on ebay..

Old 06-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
After hearing about all the problems you're willing to blow almost $600 on a chitty exhaust?!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Nah, $400-450 max. I don't care if it rusts after 3 years, I doubt I will be keeping this exhaust for 10 years and by that time I can buy something else.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Banned
Rust isn't the only problem
Shitty fitment
Shitty sound

With the money you'll spend you can get a used quality exhaust on here easy. Plus get more when you go to re sell one day
Your call

Old 06-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Yeah you have a point. If I do buy I'll be doing it in 2 months or so; I'll think about it between now and then

Old 06-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Yeah you have a point. If I do buy I'll be doing it in 2 months or so; I'll think about it between now and then
I was really close to buying a topspeed also man.
Then I came to my senses and Waited on here for a good deal-so glad I did.