G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Break Squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Break Squeal

Hey all,

As some of you already know, I just recently purchased a used 2007 G35S sedan. This last weekend I decided to hand wash it. Shortly after washing it I've noticed the brakes now seem to squeal. It only squeals at a certain part during the brake process - right before I come to a complete stop and after I've already slowed down quite a bit. Hopefully that makes sense. It squeals in the middle of the braking process somewhere. I don't hear it when I'm in motion or when I first start braking.

It's been like this for a couple days now. Any idea on what it could be and if it is something I should get looked at (I'm thinking I'm going to have to).

Thanks again guys!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Could be the pad life indicators trying to warn you that your pad is running low OR if your pads have enough life then its nothing big really and quite normal, u can mostly fix it by applying some brake grease/lubricant on the back of the pads where it makes contact with the caliper and that usually takes care of such issues.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
most likely the rotor(s) have a rust lip or mild corrosion on them. Possible it can also be from the pads, assuming they are factory they are semi metallic. basically bits of metal fused together. maybe some brake debris got dislodged during your cleaning and is trapped between the pad and rotor. that last sentence was a stretch, the cleaning is probably a matter of fact. depending on you mechanical ability you could remove the wheel and visually inspect the rotors-see if they have a lip around the diameter, while there you could remove the pad and visually inspect it. if mechanical ability is a concern or just time a local shop, be it a reputable shop generally have a brake check special for around $20. third option is to take the vehicle out for a drive, dont lock them up however brake hard to see if you can knock of any corrosion. lastly it could be you indicators on the pads. just my two cents hope it helps

Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
If you just got it and if it turns out the pads are down to the squeelers, you have an issue to take up with the seller if you bought it saftied / certified. Depending on how much you may have driven it since you got it.
Fwiw lots of people have had problems with sport brakes squealing on the older sport brakes and the BBK setup.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Given that you just washed the car right before it started doing this, I'm gonna go with kool's suggestion that you ought to re-lube the backs of the pads. My hunch is perhaps you got a little carried away with the high pressure jet on the hose and blasted away at the rotors to clean them, washing away some grease in the process.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 PM
^ we get it VQ!! u dont have to post it twice!! lol

Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ we get it VQ!! u dont have to post it twice!! lol
Ahh jeez, this site has been just awful all day long. Half the time I can't even get a page to reload without timing out. It's little wonder I haven't doubled every post today.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Given that you just washed the car right before it started doing this, I'm gonna go with kool's suggestion that you ought to re-lube the backs of the pads. My hunch is perhaps you got a little carried away with the high pressure jet on the hose and blasted away at the rotors to clean them, washing away some grease in the process.
How exactly do I go about doing that and what do I need to use? The more descriptive you are with me the better. Haha. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Nate503
How exactly do I go about doing that and what do I need to use? The more descriptive you are with me the better. Haha. Thanks!
How should I know? It was kool's idea; you should ask him.

Just kidding.

It is not a difficult process in the least IFyou are fairly familiar with disc brakes and have worked on them before, but the fact that you ask, suggests to me that you are not too familiar with them. In that case, I suggest you do some research for some basic DIY tutorials for disc brakes. They needn't even be for the G35, as pretty much all disc brakes share commonalities. If you've worked on one, you have a good basis to apply to any; you just need to pick up the little quirks and idiosyncrasies in each application.

Basically, you need to lift the wheel, remove the wheel, remove one caliper bolt, rotate the caliper away, remove the pads, re-lube the pads, and then reverse the whole procedure. Since this is safety equipment though, you really should familiarize yourself with the procedure enough to determine if you are comfortable assuming the responsibility for both yours, and others, safety on the road. You can download a Factory Service Manual for free from Infinitihelp.com upon registering there (also for free).

The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM
^hahah i left the honors especially for u! I saw the post but since he quoted you and i knew that you ALWAYS love helping out with such 'technical' issues i had to force myself to not respond.

Last edited by kool_yaar; 04-25-2012 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vqsmile (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM
^^ very smooth

Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the same issue... it's been doing it since my last brake job, figured it'll go away eventually... it's intermittent now. I read somewhere there's a TSB for squeaky brakes...

Old 04-27-2012, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by RedBaronK
I have the same issue... it's been doing it since my last brake job, figured it'll go away eventually... it's intermittent now. I read somewhere there's a TSB for squeaky brakes...
Can anyone else confirm this?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Itb11-050, itb09-009

Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Nate503
Can anyone else confirm this?
Sure can.

Plus, you can search here, google it in general, look up the ITB on Infinitihelp.com and read it and every other bulletin for your car. It's legit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Break Squeal