G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Help! I cant figure out whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i replaced the cap today, so we will see if that fixes it. One thing i did notice on my car is on the overflow tank i am missing that small hose connected to the nozzle. Where does this hose lead to? *Picture isnt my car* just using as a reference for the hose im talking about

Last edited by RelliKg35; 05-13-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by RelliKg35
i replaced the cap today, so we will see if that fixes it. One thing i did notice on my car is on the overflow tank i am missing that small hose connected to the nozzle. Where does this hose lead to? *Picture isnt my car* just using as a reference for the hose im talking about
LOL, if you're missing that hose, then there's your problem right there

There has to be a hose that connects from the radiator (or gooseneck) from right below the cap over to the reservoir. If you are missing it, then your radiator will just dump the coolant instead of passing it to the reservoir. The coolant needs to be able to flow back and forth between the radiator and the reservoir for normal operation.

Edit: I was referring to the hose between the reservoir and the radiator (obviously), but here is also another hose attached to the reservoir in that picture (toward the front and bending downward). That hose is to direct the overflow in case the reservoir overfills. It is not critical, it just directs the overflowing coolant neatly, so that it doesn't make a huge mess in the engine compartment if it overflows. It typically is routed down low and is left open to dump under the car.

Last edited by vqsmile; 05-13-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm referring to the small hose that is by the shroud not the hose near the radiator cap. So that hose I'm talking about is not necessary?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 PM
No, it's not required. I'm 100% sure it is just to plumb the overflow. But with that being said, you still ought to get one just so that it doesn't make a mess if it overflows. I really don't understand how yours could be missing. The hose is quite firmly attached in numerous places and would take quite a concentrated effort to remove it completely. You'd pretty much have to do it on purpose; they won't just fall off. Has someone worked on your car?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:10 AM
yea the person i bought the car from wasnt the best owner. Another thing i keep noticing is white smoke coming out of the exhaust. not a crazy amount but a constant flow of it.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 AM

yea the person i bought the car from wasnt the best owner. Another thing i keep noticing is white smoke coming out of the exhaust. not a crazy amount but a constant flow of it.

UHmmm ...you never mentioned THAT little tidbit. You could very well have a blown head gasket if you're constantly blowing white smoke.

(btw, I now have a pretty good idea where your missing coolant went)

Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile

UHmmm ...you never mentioned THAT little tidbit. You could very well have a blown head gasket if you're constantly blowing white smoke.

(btw, I now have a pretty good idea where your missing coolant went)
first off thanks for all your help on this manner I have only started the car like 3 times after this incident and i dont know if maybe the white smoke is condensation or coolant. I checked the oil and its not milky at all, and the car runs totally fine. i will probably just take it to infiniti this week and get a diagnosis.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you're also getting white smoke from the exhaust then it usually means its a head gasket. basically the coolant was blowing out because the system was getting pressure from the combustion chamber. it might only be a small leak and it wouldn't drain into the oil.

get a coolant pressure test done.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 AM
first off thanks for all your help on this manner I have only started the car like 3 times after this incident and i dont know if maybe the white smoke is condensation or coolant. I checked the oil and its not milky at all, and the car runs totally fine. i will probably just take it to infiniti this week and get a diagnosis.
Unless it pretty cold where you are, then your car should not be making any condensation for more than a minute or so. If it is doing it after it's been warmed up and running a while, then there's definitely a problem. Good luck and please let us know what it turns out to be.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Anyone have a clue on how much a headgasket repair will cost? Easier to buy a new motor? Why would this happen? The car has never been overheated and only has 91k on it

Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
highly doubt youll need a new motor. could be something small,
im in for more on this my G is at 90k now havent got any type off this problem before ;/

Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
but you don't know that it's never been overheated. you said yourself the previous owner wasn't the most diligent with the car. and just overheating the car doesn't mean you're going to pop a head gasket. it just generally leads to warping heads which in turn allows for a weak/low pressure spot in the gasket surfaces.

regardless, until you have it pressure tested, no one can really say conclusively that is the problem.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Just had it pressure tested and it passed. Compression is fine. Im puzzled and happy at the same time. mechanic said overflow was probably just overfilled and spilled out.

Last edited by RelliKg35; 05-14-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
i bet thats a relief lol .. ^ .. its like weather you pull the plug or not lol ..

Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Just had it pressure tested and it passed. Compression is fine. Im puzzled and happy at the same time. mechanic said overflow was probably just overfilled and spilled out.
Hmm, I'm crossing my fingers for you that that is all there is to it, but I'm still concerned about the white smoke. Did the mechanic have any explanation for that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! I cant figure out whats wrong?