G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Doing my own oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
i have never had to use a filter wrench to remove or install filters. u can get one if you like but its not required, having good gloves is a nice idea for grip though. its not a bad idea to have the rwench though i guess in case the filter was installed too tight last time around

To install filter do not over tighten which is more possible with the wrench as per instructions, once the filter base touches/sits flat with the engine then just turn it 3/4-1 turn from there, iv always used the 3/4 turn and never had any issues to date with any of my cars.
Good to know about tightening it. My buddy is going to supervise my first time around to make sure I don't forget anything lol. Then hopefully after that I'll be able to service my own fluids from then on =)

Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Don't forget to oil the gasket on the new filter before you install it.

Also, changing the oil every 3 months sounds like overkill (unless your mileage necessitates it).

Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
bkd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the rhino ramps for mine. Its WAY easier than a jack and stands. You need a 10mm socke/ratchet for the plastic under tray. It's much easier if you have a cordless drill or screwdriver as there are a bunch of them and have fine threads. You don't want to remove it with only a box wrench. There are a couple of plastic clips that can be removed with a flatblade screwdriver or something similar. I get my filters at the dealer along with the crush washers, that way I have a receipt and a record that I changed my own oil in case any warranty issues come up. I also have the oil filter wrench that fits on the end of the factory filters which works much better than a strap wrench IMHO. I get oil in the 5 quart containers so it's easier to bring to recycle. I don't bother with gloves, but I always have some shop towels or old rags around. A cheap bag of cat litter is also nice to have on hand if you spill anything. A shop light and something soft to lay on like a fender cover might not be a bad idea depending on if you are indoors or outside in a parking lot.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
Don't forget to oil the gasket on the new filter before you install it.

Also, changing the oil every 3 months sounds like overkill (unless your mileage necessitates it).
Well my mechanic always schedules me to come in every 3000 miles. And for me that happens about once every three months give or take a week or two. But with the synthetic I should be good for at least 5 months of driving.

Didn't know about the gasket. Do you just use some of the synthetic oil for that? Or is there some sort of gasket oil I need?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^FYI: infiniti recommends 3750miles instead of 3k so you should at least push it out to 3750 instead of 3k imo to save money and it indirectly can help the environment too.

As for the gasket just apply the same 5w30 motor oil on it.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by bkd
I use the rhino ramps for mine. Its WAY easier than a jack and stands. You need a 10mm socke/ratchet for the plastic under tray. It's much easier if you have a cordless drill or screwdriver as there are a bunch of them and have fine threads. You don't want to remove it with only a box wrench. There are a couple of plastic clips that can be removed with a flatblade screwdriver or something similar. I get my filters at the dealer along with the crush washers, that way I have a receipt and a record that I changed my own oil in case any warranty issues come up. I also have the oil filter wrench that fits on the end of the factory filters which works much better than a strap wrench IMHO. I get oil in the 5 quart containers so it's easier to bring to recycle. I don't bother with gloves, but I always have some shop towels or old rags around. A cheap bag of cat litter is also nice to have on hand if you spill anything. A shop light and something soft to lay on like a fender cover might not be a bad idea depending on if you are indoors or outside in a parking lot.
Yeah I heard the Rhino Ramp was good , glad to hear another member here is happy with it. I hoped to find a used one but I think it'll be better in the long run to buy new.

I do not have a cordless drill on hand but I am sure I can find someone to borrow from when I do the work.

How much did it cost to buy the filter and washers from infiniti compared to just going down to Autozone?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^FYI: infiniti recommends 3750miles instead of 3k so you should at least push it out to 3750 instead of 3k imo to save money and it indirectly can help the environment too.

As for the gasket just apply the same 5w30 motor oil on it.
Only reason I did it this way was because the mechanic has been in our family for ages so I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. But now I know better lol. But yeah the $50 every three months sucks, and just having to bring it in for every oil change sucks.

But at least now I can spend the next few weeks getting the equipment so that when I do hit 3750 miles I can do it myself And all thanks to the wonderful help of the G35driver community

Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 PM
bkd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EbbAndBlow
How much did it cost to buy the filter and washers from infiniti compared to just going down to Autozone?
I just went check my receipt and the dealer charged me $8.50 for a filter and crush washer. That sounds a bit high to me, but I've never priced them at Autozone or online.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by bkd
I just went check my receipt and the dealer charged me $8.50 for a filter and crush washer. That sounds a bit high to me, but I've never priced them at Autozone or online.
To be honest, that is better than what I expected. They are about $5 at autozone though not sure where to find the crush washer at autozone. so that isn't too bad considering it is from the dealership. I'll see if I can pick one up when I take my G to the dealership for some warranty work tomorrow.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by EbbAndBlow
Only reason I did it this way was because the mechanic has been in our family for ages so I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. But now I know better lol. But yeah the $50 every three months sucks, and just having to bring it in for every oil change sucks.

But at least now I can spend the next few weeks getting the equipment so that when I do hit 3750 miles I can do it myself And all thanks to the wonderful help of the G35driver community
The next time you change your oil, send it in for an oil analysis. They'll be able to tell you how long (or short) you can stretch out the mileage until the next oil change. They'll also be able to tell you what's happening with the motor.

Changing the oil every 3750 is a waste of money, unless you fall under the most severe driving conditions.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 PM
The next time you change your oil, send it in for an oil analysis. They'll be able to tell you how long (or short) you can stretch out the mileage until the next oil change. They'll also be able to tell you what's happening with the motor.

Changing the oil every 3750 is a waste of money, unless you fall under the most severe driving conditions.

Thanks for that. But what place do I send it to?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Got it bookmarked. Thanks for the link =)

Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Another vote for an oil analysis. You don't have to do it every single oil change, but it helps to do it for 3 or 4 consecutive so you know how much longer you can stretch the intervals.

FWIW, Infiniti can safely recommend 7,500 between changes on one of their maintenance schedules, so it's not unheard of.

At 7.5k miles, my oil is barely breaking apart. Blackstone has recommended longer intervals than that, but my personal limit has been at 8k on the G and 15k on my old Maxima.

As for the Rhino Ramps, it's great if you have uncoated floors (i.e. bare concrete). I have Epoxy-coated floors and the car just pushes and slides it around.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Another vote for an oil analysis. You don't have to do it every single oil change, but it helps to do it for 3 or 4 consecutive so you know how much longer you can stretch the intervals.

FWIW, Infiniti can safely recommend 7,500 between changes on one of their maintenance schedules, so it's not unheard of.

At 7.5k miles, my oil is barely breaking apart. Blackstone has recommended longer intervals than that, but my personal limit has been at 8k on the G and 15k on my old Maxima.

As for the Rhino Ramps, it's great if you have uncoated floors (i.e. bare concrete). I have Epoxy-coated floors and the car just pushes and slides it around.
Mike, just to be clear:
- your distance units are in miles?
- you're using conventional or synthetic oil (as tested)?

thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Doing my own oil change