G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Doing my own oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Doing my own oil change

Hey guys, I usually go to the mechanic to do an oil change every 3k miles and I am tired of spending all that money just for 3k miles worth of driving before I am back at it again.

So I am trying to piece together everything I need to do it myself.

Right now I am looking at some car ramps instead of investing in a jack and jack-stands. I found this one below on craigslist and was wondering if you guys think this is a good deal or if I need to worry about those bends in the metal at the corners?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/2999450384.html

Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
my opinion just buy new ones. safety 1st.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Good point. I see the Rhino Ramps at Autozone for only $45 so might just get it there. Along with the oil drain pan.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ always a good idea to buy new with such stuff, but those ramps look fine, the 'bends' on the side are normal design, i have seen these exact ramps in new condition before in person and they also have that 'bend'

Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 PM
just googled it real quick and came up with this pic...

Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ always a good idea to buy new with such stuff, but those ramps look fine, the 'bends' on the side are normal design, i have seen these exact ramps in new condition before in person and they also have that 'bend'
Well that makes me feel better lol. The guy who is selling them is local so it'd be an easy pickup and save me $25. You think I should at least put my car up on them before I buy to test it out though? Otherwise I'll just get the Rhino Ramps at autozone.

Anything else I need that I am missing? I know I need filter and oil to replace. The oil drain pan, and just a set of socket wrenches yeah?

Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
just googled it real quick and came up with this pic...
Thanks for that pic. Definitely think I'll at least see if the guy will let me put my car up on 'em to make sure it holds.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as long as there is no rust on those ramps they should be fine. also, you should have some kind of container for the old oil so it can be disposed of. putting it back in the qt bottles is a PITA.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by ProKiller
as long as there is no rust on those ramps they should be fine. also, you should have some kind of container for the old oil so it can be disposed of. putting it back in the qt bottles is a PITA.
I just set up a meeting with the guy tomorrow to test out the stands and I'll see if they can hold up my G.

haha yeah I was going to pick up an oil drain pan at autozone for $8 and then take the oil there to get recycled.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by EbbAndBlow
Well that makes me feel better lol. The guy who is selling them is local so it'd be an easy pickup and save me $25. You think I should at least put my car up on them before I buy to test it out though? Otherwise I'll just get the Rhino Ramps at autozone.

Anything else I need that I am missing? I know I need filter and oil to replace. The oil drain pan, and just a set of socket wrenches yeah?
you also should have:

- Oil filter cap wrench
- Funnel is a very good idea, imo
- Gloves are nice to have to. A cheap pack like in my pic will last a long time.

Attached Thumbnails Doing my own oil change-img-20120516-00241.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for that pic. Definitely think I'll at least see if the guy will let me put my car up on 'em to make sure it holds.
not a problem, yes they should hold fine, just try them before buying though, it should not be an issue.

I know these ramps have support braces underneath, just make sure tehy are not rusted, broken or bent, by the looks of it they look fine.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
you also should have:

- Oil filter cap wrench
- Funnel is a very good idea, imo
- Gloves are nice to have to. A cheap pack like in my pic will last a long time.
Thanks =) For the filter cap, I heard you can just unscrew it by hand. Is that true? Just wondering if I could save a few bucks by leaving out the wrench lol. And I have a funnel at home, so I'll just steal it from my mom haha. Does it matter if I get the auto gloves? Or just any rubber gloves would work?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Thanks =) For the filter cap, I heard you can just unscrew it by hand. Is that true? Just wondering if I could save a few bucks by leaving out the wrench lol. And I have a funnel at home, so I'll just steal it from my mom haha. Does it matter if I get the auto gloves? Or just any rubber gloves would work?
Odds are that you will need a filter wrench to get it off and you should use a wrench to properly tighten the new one. Follow the instructions.
Any rubber gloves will do. I like these gloves because they are only a couple bucks on sale, get good grip on parts and tools and they are black so don't get dirty looking.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Odds are that you will need a filter wrench to get it off and you should use a wrench to properly tighten the new one. Follow the instructions.
Any rubber gloves will do. I like these gloves because they are only a couple bucks on sale, get good grip on parts and tools and they are black so don't get dirty looking.
Cool deal. Thanks for all of the tips everyone! =) Hopefully this weekend I can scrounge up the supplies. The guy on craigslist just told me he sold the ramps so I might invest in some new rhino ramps instead.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:35 PM
i have never had to use a filter wrench to remove or install filters. u can get one if you like but its not required, having good gloves is a nice idea for grip though. its not a bad idea to have the rwench though i guess in case the filter was installed too tight last time around

To install filter do not over tighten which is more possible with the wrench as per instructions, once the filter base touches/sits flat with the engine then just turn it 3/4-1 turn from there, iv always used the 3/4 turn and never had any issues to date with any of my cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Doing my own oil change