G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Another which G to buy question!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another which G to buy question!!

Ok, for my first of hopefully many post, I am going to join the G club. I have been looking for a few weeks, searching this site learning as much as possible. I test drove a 08 G35x and a 09 G37x (sedans). Loved them both but they were without Navi or Sport. At this point I want both packages and will wait for it if I have to.

So my questtion, and I have searched and searched this site and the g37 site and not finding it:

Is the Nav in the 08 the same as the 09? I did see that 09 has the XM traffic which I have on my current car and it is nice, but not a deal breaker. Is the screen resolution the same between 08-09? Both touch screens?

Also have searched tonight and found 2 that are on my short list:

08 G35xS Navi, 25 K miles, $23k
09 G37xS Navi, 65 K miles, $19k

Both have clean carfax from suburban areas (no city living) and look well kept. Both are not super close so at this point just going off the web and pics and carfax's. Both are basically our of warranty. The issue I have is to spend a few more dollars on the 08 with lower miles or consider the 09 with the bigger engine and 7 spd tranny for a few dollars cheaper. I've read a ton about the 5spd vs 7 spd along with the differences between the 3.5 and 3.7. Sounds like the 7 spd could be a issue while the 5 spd is in it's last year so I assume sorted out by then.

Of course this does not include any negotiating which could also change things. But for now, any opinions on which you would buy?

Thanks for your help! Looking forward to posting up a pick of a G in my garage soon!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
The nav screen resolution is the same for 08 and 09. It was bumped up in 10. I have an 09 and honestly then 7 speed isn't too bad, I've never heard anything bad about the 5 speed. Both are out of bumper to bumper warranty, but the 08 still has a a good chunk of power train warranty left, 6yr/70k. I'd probably go for the 08, but just double check it cause that's really low miles for an 08.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
I say go w/ the 08. Much better on the miles. See if you can get the elite warranty on your G.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
don't forget autocheck, carfax is worthless, and rut it yourself, dont let them hand you a print out, they fake that stuff all the time. 65k miles is kinda high, but VVEL is pretty sweet.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I'll have to check out elite warranty. I would want some type of warranty even if it has the factory power train. I'll have to see what is left on both. I'll have to see the cost and determine if it is worth it.

Good advice on Carfax. Both cars are at big dealerships but it could not hurt to run it myself.

Leaning towards the 08 and the lower miles. And if the only difference really is the motor and tranny, I dont know if they will be missed. Opinions are all over the board on the 3.5 vs 3.7 though. Some say it is a major issue others not so much.

I am now thinking that the 08 in a few years of driving (12k yr for 3 years) will have around 60k while the 09 will have about 100k. Which odometer will I want to see in 3 years.......

Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
in that case get the 08, unless you can find a 09 with fewer miles

Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Another question I was thinking about with the Navi. We have a Lexus Gx470 and the legal team at Lexus has that thing locked up pretty well. You always have to hit a agree screen at start up. As soon as you get the car above a few miles per hour you loose all ability to load a address, they even shut down the radio display to show the song playing. Too afraid that the driver will be distracted.

My current car is a 09 Mecedes E350. That car gives you one warning at the beginning and that is it. Everything works even at 90 mph!! Want to key in a address while moving, have at it. Want to key in a phone number, go for it.

Does Infiniti use the same layers as Lexus?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobra2top
Another question I was thinking about with the Navi. We have a Lexus Gx470 and the legal team at Lexus has that thing locked up pretty well. You always have to hit a agree screen at start up. As soon as you get the car above a few miles per hour you loose all ability to load a address, they even shut down the radio display to show the song playing. Too afraid that the driver will be distracted.

My current car is a 09 Mecedes E350. That car gives you one warning at the beginning and that is it. Everything works even at 90 mph!! Want to key in a address while moving, have at it. Want to key in a phone number, go for it.

Does Infiniti use the same layers as Lexus?
In the 08 sedan, some usability is disabled when the car is in motion. But not nearly as much as what you are talking about. The screen stays active with song name or radio station at all times.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
As far as g35 vs g37, it really depends on how fast you want it. I have a 2008 g35x and a 2005 g35x. The transmission in the '08 is weird sometimes if you floor it so make sure when you test drive it you floor it from different speeds. It might be because the ECU is programmed to a different driver (I'm not the primary driver) but even if I take it on long trips and floor it the car feels slow and the transmission has a strange shift pattern. I don't think anything is wrong with it, that's just the way it is. The g37 transmission was better under WOT but first gear was extremely short. The mileage will probably be 2-3mpg better in the g37. When I had the loaner I was able to achieve 27mpg around town (normally 22 in my '08) and I was not being light footed on the gas or the brake - it was a dealer car!

My 2005 feels faster than my 2008 for whatever reason. I think it's because it has more torque for its size. I like power so the g37 would be my choice but you could do some bolt on mods to the g35 and have the same power as the g37. I haven't heard of any 7AT problems yet...maybe I'm just behind? Sorry it's long....good luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 PM
How long does it take to download phone numbers to the car? I have been going for about 30 minutes now. Just curious.

08 G35.....with ERRRRYTHING.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by 22crew
How long does it take to download phone numbers to the car? I have been going for about 30 minutes now. Just curious.

08 G35.....with ERRRRYTHING.
Damn you must have a lot of contacts, or the download is frozen. I have about 50 contacts and it finished in about 5-10 minutes max.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
DISREGARD the above ?........posted under wrong topic......my bad.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:23 PM
I only have about 70ish. I'm going to try and do it manually.....i don't need all 70ish numbers anyway.

22crew

Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by 22crew
I only have about 70ish. I'm going to try and do it manually.....i don't need all 70ish numbers anyway.

22crew
If you have an Android phone. Download "Bluetooth file transfer" app and follow the directions down below if you haven't tried it already. If it is an iPhone I believe you can still use the bluetooth file transfer app but I can't confirm.

Step1: Select "Setting" which is a physical button on the head unit
Step2: Select "phone"
Step3: Select "Downloaded Phonebook"
Step4: Select "Download all" and agree by selecting "yes". Now your car is looking for a BT device to initiate the download.
Step5:Start the Bluetooth File transfer app
5a: Once app is launched, hit the menu button on your android phone and select "More"
5b: Select "Send contacts"
5c: Select the star icon at the top right and then choose "Select all"
5d: For the sending options at the bottom, choose "send as multiple"
Hopefully the download will complete if you have gotten this far, but again if not, give it a few more tries.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM
It's all good......i just input the few numbers i wanted manually.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another which G to buy question!!