G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Windshield washers stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Windshield washers stopped working

Ok, so I did a search on this and found nothing. And yes, the washer fluid is full, that was the first thing I checked. Anybody else have thishappen? It's love bug season down here and I would really like to have my washers work. Ugh...

Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Make sure the nozzles aren't clogged. Gently stick a pin in each hole and wiggle it a bit.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
Dumb question but did you recently change your battery? If so then your battery might be sitting on the washer fluid line that feeds the nozzles. Happened to me last year.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 AM
I doubt all 6 nozzles simultaneously clogged, but will give that a shot. And no, I didn't just replace my batter. Is there a fuse for the windshield washer pump?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by ARoss

... Is there a fuse for the windshield washer pump?
I guess this question is somewhat surprising. I can't think of a single electrical circuit in any car I have ever owned that did not have a fuse of one form or another. SO, I guess what I;m suggesting is, THERE IS ALWAYS A FUSE!!! If there weren't, you'd see burned out hulks of cars littering the roadways everywhere.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I guess this question is somewhat surprising. I can't think of a single electrical circuit in any car I have ever owned that did not have a fuse of one form or another. SO, I guess what I;m suggesting is, THERE IS ALWAYS A FUSE!!! If there weren't, you'd see burned out hulks of cars littering the roadways everywhere.
I guess I should have been a little more clear with my question. I meant to ask, is there a DEDICATED fuse for the windshield washer pump that I could check? I know all cars have fuses for their electrical circiuts.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 PM
I can't recall seeing one specifically dedicated to the washer pump, but there is one for the wipers (may be sharing) in the battery compartment, and some labeled with with something like 'electrical items' in the driver's foot well.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have run into this problem before. I had a 2009 altima coupe before I bought my G and the washers did not work. First I want to ask, when you try using them can you here the pump in the washer bottle trying to pump the fluid thought? With mine I could not- I dont know where the bottles are in the G but on the Altima it was behind the passenger wheel well. I got to the bottle and took the pump out and it was seized up tapped it a few times (lighty) with a hammer while someone was trying to use them and it got it going. Whether doing all this will help you-idk. before you go this far I would exhaust all other avenues. But like I said see if you can hear the pump if you can it's probably a clogged line near the bottle. There are no screens to filter the fluid so you might have gotten dirt/ foil from the gallon jug in there.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Well, I had my wife operate the washers while I listened for the pump but could not hear anything.The washer fluid tank is on the front passenger side of the engine compartment. I even checked all of the fuses, but none are blown.
Interestingly enough, I have a fuse for '4WAS' which is the 4-wheel steering system, which I don't have.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by ARoss
Interestingly enough, I have a fuse for '4WAS' which is the 4-wheel steering system, which I don't have.
Yep, mine is the same way. I have no idea why they put the fuse in for a system I don't have, but maybe it's just mislabeled. I thought about pulling it to see if anything didn't work right.

If you are somewhat handy with electrical, you can try jumping some power to the wiper pump directly and see whether it works or not. Could be that the pump is toast.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
I have the same problem however mine is a clogged filter. I found an in-line filter behind the battery that is clogged. I cant find one anywhere to replace it so I guess I'll have to couple the hose together and take it from there.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
in this case if you cant hear the pump operate then that is obviously the issue and u can try tapping the pump from the bottom sides through the passenger wheel well like one person said it worked for him or else youd have to replace the pump.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 AM
I am bascially waitiing until my next oil change, which is coming up in the next month. I'll put the car up on the ramps and investigate at that time. Thanks for all the help and suggestoins!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 AM
The same thing happened to me I replaced my Battery myself, then went to the dealer for an oil and filter change
and on my way home I went to use the wind shield wiper washer and it didn't work and the first thing I thought was they didn't refill my washer bottle, so I stopped and got some washer fluid tonight and it still didn't work after refilling it still didn't work so I thought is get online and see what may be going on with G35 Coupe washer pumps, I really thought it was bad and was looking to replace it and I saw that someone had the same problem and low and behold I see "Changed a battery lately" so to end this long story I checked to see if the battery was on top of my washer hose and it was, repositioned hose, problem solved! Thanks!
Originally Posted by vqsmile

Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Pepper
Dumb question but did you recently change your battery? If so then your battery might be sitting on the washer fluid line that feeds the nozzles. Happened to me last year.
The same thing happened to me I replaced my Battery myself, then went to the dealer for an oil and filter change
and on my way home I went to use the wind shield wiper washer and it didn't work and the first thing I thought was they didn't refill my washer bottle, so I stopped and got some washer fluid tonight and after refilling, it still didn't work so I thought I'd get online and see what may be going on with G35 Coupe washer pumps, I really thought it was bad and was looking to replace it and I saw that someone had the same problem and low and behold I see "Changed a battery lately" so to end this long story I checked to see if the battery was on top of my washer hose and it was, repositioned hose, problem solved! Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield washers stopped working