G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G25 loaner: first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by finallygot1
The f30 328i has a turbo 4 that will spank a stock g35 0-60, as fast as a g37 and way faster than a g25
sorry but not true, the 328i 0-60 official time as per BMW themselves is 5.9sec and between 5.6-5.9 as per caranddriver while for the 2nd gen G35 is 5.2 - 5.3sec from all major tests.

And i dont think u were looking to compare the 1st gen G35 with this new 328i cause thats not a fair comparison, comparing the 328 from that time is a better comparison

So with any decent driver the 2nd gen G35 and G37 can beat the 328i easy in 0-60 and 1/4mile so there is no way it can 'spank' the g35

The following users liked this post:
harp00n (06-07-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My test drive of a 2012 G25X and G37X

I have to get around in winter so a RWD won't work for me. Of course with the G, that means an X model. I have an '08 G35X that I love and a '99 Lexus RX300 with over 210,000 miles so I've begun thinking about a new car and I recently compared the 2012 G25X and G37X. I don't need or want to spend $1850 for NAV or $1250 for the tech package as the base G37X is more than pricey enough for me so those features not being available on the G25X does not matter to me. As such, the G25X with moonroof and the G37X that I compared were essentially identical other than of course the engine. I think the only difference was the G37X had an upgraded "Infiniti Studio on Wheels", dual memory car seats and the rear sonar system, none of them must have's to me. There were several G37X's without the tech stuff listing in the $41k's and the G25X's were in the 37k's.

I tested the G37X first. I'm not a sophisticated motorist, but it felt exactly like my G35X. The 7-speed auto and slightly larger engine were not noticeable improvements - I also did not experience any problem with the tranny. I then tested the G25X. It looked and felt exactly the same again as to interior feel, fit and finish. The X model has heated seats/mirrors, rear-view camera, bluetooth and moonroof. Bottom line is I could not see any difference whatsoever inside or out. I took the G25X on a pretty long test run, about 25 miles. It handles exactly the same and other than acceleration, feels exactly the same. The obvious difference is acceleration. The car is not slow, it's way faster than my RX - of course that's an old underpowered SUV. The best way I can put it is it's responsive, but of course slower than the G35/G37 but also requires the driver to push it along, it's not effortless like the bigger engine. You feel it working. I think it might end up being tiresome to drive it with enthusiasm. That's my main problem with it. But that's the only problem; albeit a potentially big problem. For what I want, they are otherwise exactly the same car and it's $4,000 less when I'm price sensitive. Bottom line is I did not feel any real improvement with the G37X so I'm going to wait til next year for the redesign and either pony up cash for a new model or perhaps get huge incentives on leftover current models. But for me the G25X would be a consideration, maybe more so if the new model comes with a somewhat larger engine. I don't think the G25X deserves all the trash talk it gets here. But of course a huge majority of this forum is comprised of driving enthusiasts which doesn't represent all G drivers.

The following users liked this post:
Wannabe6MT (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesg35
I have to get around in winter so a RWD won't work for me. Of course with the G, that means an X model. I have an '08 G35X that I love and a '99 Lexus RX300 with over 210,000 miles so I've begun thinking about a new car and I recently compared the 2012 G25X and G37X. I don't need or want to spend $1850 for NAV or $1250 for the tech package as the base G37X is more than pricey enough for me so those features not being available on the G25X does not matter to me. As such, the G25X with moonroof and the G37X that I compared were essentially identical other than of course the engine. I think the only difference was the G37X had an upgraded "Infiniti Studio on Wheels", dual memory car seats and the rear sonar system, none of them must have's to me. There were several G37X's without the tech stuff listing in the $41k's and the G25X's were in the 37k's.

I tested the G37X first. I'm not a sophisticated motorist, but it felt exactly like my G35X. The 7-speed auto and slightly larger engine were not noticeable improvements - I also did not experience any problem with the tranny. I then tested the G25X. It looked and felt exactly the same again as to interior feel, fit and finish. The X model has heated seats/mirrors, rear-view camera, bluetooth and moonroof. Bottom line is I could not see any difference whatsoever inside or out. I took the G25X on a pretty long test run, about 25 miles. It handles exactly the same and other than acceleration, feels exactly the same. The obvious difference is acceleration. The car is not slow, it's way faster than my RX - of course that's an old underpowered SUV. The best way I can put it is it's responsive, but of course slower than the G35/G37 but also requires the driver to push it along, it's not effortless like the bigger engine. You feel it working. I think it might end up being tiresome to drive it with enthusiasm. That's my main problem with it. But that's the only problem; albeit a potentially big problem. For what I want, they are otherwise exactly the same car and it's $4,000 less when I'm price sensitive. Bottom line is I did not feel any real improvement with the G37X so I'm going to wait til next year for the redesign and either pony up cash for a new model or perhaps get huge incentives on leftover current models. But for me the G25X would be a consideration, maybe more so if the new model comes with a somewhat larger engine. I don't think the G25X deserves all the trash talk it gets here. But of course a huge majority of this forum is comprised of driving enthusiasts which doesn't represent all G drivers.
you're right about the interior and exterior feeling exactly the same. but the 25 was slow as ***** for me, having to accelerate harder to switch lanes and everything else sucked. it gets what 3-5 better mpg at most? I'd much rather have my 07 '35 over a '12 25 anyday lol, i guess i just need that tq and hp

Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Of course a G25 is going to feel slow as ***** coming from a 300+hp V6. Try driving a slow car to the dealer then taking the G25 for a spin. It is a lot less noticeable, i'll tell you that. Most of the people that own a G25 (or even the women running around in the 37s) will never even floor the car. So for most people, they really dont give a ****. The car feels identical to my moms 2.5 Altima albeit having much better suspension setup and a far more intelligent transmission.

This car gets ragged on so much. No **** its slower than your 35/37. It is only 218hp! It isn't designed for land speed records and a majority of buyers will never even stick their foot into it.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Of course a G25 is going to feel slow as ***** coming from a 300+hp V6. Try driving a slow car to the dealer then taking the G25 for a spin. It is a lot less noticeable, i'll tell you that. Most of the people that own a G25 (or even the women running around in the 37s) will never even floor the car. So for most people, they really dont give a ****. The car feels identical to my moms 2.5 Altima albeit having much better suspension setup and a far more intelligent transmission.

This car gets ragged on so much. No **** its slower than your 35/37. It is only 218hp! It isn't designed for land speed records and a majority of buyers will never even stick their foot into it.
sounding so angry? gosh I was just also stating the obvious... and that I'd even consider an 08 35xS with more gadgets to the previous poster over a newer 25? dude relax lol

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by drivethefive
^ You hit the nail on the head! Minimal mpg increase while sacrificing quite a bit of performance, don't see how this car was justified being produced. Have to say I'd rather have an IS250 than the 25.
I agree, I think the MPG increase should have been better IMO.
The car is ok for what it is, and it's quite a bit cheaper. Oddly enough I see quite a few of them by where I live in south OC (cali).

Old 06-07-2012, 04:59 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunnnnzzz
sounding so angry? gosh I was just also stating the obvious... and that I'd even consider an 08 35xS with more gadgets to the previous poster over a newer 25? dude relax lol
It isn't me being angry, it is about people who don't think about the consumer base as a WHOLE. I got going on the same thing yesterday with the JX35. Waaa it is a CVT with only 275hp. It is a people mover designed for women. It isn't supposed to be a sports car. That isn't what it is designed for.

People just speak the obvious and its like, no ****, really? A 218HP AWD car feels slow?? Wow. What a shocker.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Now I regret debadging. Someone might think I have a G25. :/

Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by finallygot1
Now I regret debadging. Someone might think I have a G25. :/
lol

From what I been reading you get 1-2 mpg improvement which I think sux.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by drivethefive
It's got a great set of brakes. That's the best thing I have to say about it. Some of the fit and finish on the inside doesn't seem as good as our V36 sedans. For example, the leather on the door where your elbow sits is not as soft and cushy. The turn ***** for the seat warmers look a little cheap and are fragile and the cover around the shift **** is easily scratched by the lightest touch. My biggest beef about the car is the engine. It's pumping out 218hp and while it has enough to get out of it's own way it certainly does not envoke "inspired" driving when I'm behind the wheel. One of Infiniti's staples in the market has been performance and this car is certainly lacking that. Does anyone know who the target market for this car was or what other manufacturer's models they were trying to compete with? This car has me shaking my head
just got my loaner G25 today! wonder if its the one you had! haha....the engine is soooo weak!!! i dont get it either. to me, the 2.5 creates a sense of cheapness and while decreasing the classiness of the name.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is it possible that your g25 loaner doesn't have premium package? I know a g37 loaner I got last time seemed cheap compared to mine.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
thinking about G25? just go get new 328i,it is much better in almost every way.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by dota-lina
thinking about G25? just go get new 328i,it is much better in almost every way.
For an additional $6k

Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I have just read a couple articles saying that the G25 is now discontinued with sales ending in December. In addition, "At which point a gap in production will begin when Infiniti begins building the new G with a Mercedes 4-cylinder turbo which will replace the VQ25. This will be introduced as a new generation car next year, along with a more powerful motor."

Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bat6wc
I have just read a couple articles saying that the G25 is now discontinued with sales ending in December. In addition, "At which point a gap in production will begin when Infiniti begins building the new G with a Mercedes 4-cylinder turbo which will replace the VQ25. This will be introduced as a new generation car next year, along with a more powerful motor."
They really didn't give the entry level Infiniti buyer much w/ the G25 other than looks. The price wasn't low enough to justify the steep drop in performance and the extremely minimal mpg gains. Similar to how they dropped the ball w/ their entry into the "performance line" w/ their IPL initial offerings w/ just a very mild performance gain, a few cosmetic upgrades and a steep price tag, it was obvious they rushed them into production. Hopefully the next G25 (or whatever they call it) will give buyers at least a significant mpg boost and the IPLs will be more in line w/ Audis' S, MBs AMG, and BMWs Ms (or at least a step in that direction).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G25 loaner: first impressions