G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Finally a real clutch fix for the V36 sedans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:39 PM
bkd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally a real clutch fix for the V36 sedans

Yesterday I installed a RJM Performance adjustable clutch pedal bracket in my car and my car is finally shifting like it should. The bracket completely gets rid of the factory clutch pedal along with the spring and damper that make the clutch almost impossible to modulate well. It's a lot easier to push the clutch in, and it's also adjustable so that you can manipulate how much pedal travel there is between full engagement and full release. It's been available for the 350Z and V35 coupes and sedans for a while, but now there is a new version for the V36 thats easier to adjust.

It took me about 2 and a half hours to install, and most of the difficulty was maneuvering in the footwell under the dash. (I'm a bit more sore than I'd like to admit this morning) I wouldn't say this is a good first project for someone, but anyone with some mechanical aptitude and experience shouldn't have any trouble. No special tools are required, and nothing is cut or modified making this easy to reverse if you ever have to sell the car to someone you hate. The instructions are very good, and nothing other than normal metric hand tools (wrenches and ratchet with a swivel) was needed. Everything fit perfectly. This piece was very well made and uses the stock mounting points, and the stock pedal cover. It's better than the clutch pedal that came with the car in every way.

I installed it at the recommended adjustment position, described as 70% in the installation guide and after an extended drive this morning I didn't feel the need to adjust it any more. I want to spend some more time driving with it and getting used to having a 'normal' clutch again.

I know this has probably been mentioned in other forums, but since I pretty much only read this (v36 sedan) section and I hadn't seen it mentioned before I thought I'd post here.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wheres the link to it?

Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Good share and glad to hear youre happy with the mod and should help a few folks around here a lot, but honestly speaking the stock clutch system with the spring removed is not as horrible imo as you think after you get used to it

Old 06-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Highestrich4
wheres the link to it?
http://www.rjmperformance.com/370z--...ssemblies.html

The following users liked this post:
vqsmile (06-27-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 03:41 PM
bkd
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Good share and glad to hear youre happy with the mod and should help a few folks around here a lot, but honestly speaking the stock clutch system with the spring removed is not as horrible imo as you think after you get used to it
I tried it with the stock spring and damper removed before this install and yes, it was WAY better than stock. I still had some issues; for example I didn't like that the clutch pedal had a lot of play in it when released. This new assembly has a return spring that is enough to keep the pedal up/tight but doesn't add a lot of resistance. I think the pedal pressure is just marginally higher than it was stock without the return spring and damper. Since the fulcrum on the new pedal is adjustable it can give you more/less leverage which can change how difficult it is to push the pedal. I haven't had a chance to play much with adjustments yet. Of course the big advantage is adjusting how much pedal travel you have between having the clutch engaged and released. The setting I have now makes the window seem shorter and seems much better than it was before. The I can push in the pedal about 1/2" from the top before it starts to slip/release and it's completely released not far after that. I want to drive it some more in everyday situations to see how it feels before I make any changes to the adjustment.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I think with Intg8r's 2 clutch fixes, the clutch pedal feels totally natural and is exactly what I expect it to feel like. I don't know what too much "play" in the clutch pedal means. I don't think there is a lot of pedal travel between clutch takeup and full release. In fact, it's pretty short compared to a lot of cars.

InTgr8r (06-25-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM
bkd
Originally Posted by mishmosh
I think with Intg8r's 2 clutch fixes, the clutch pedal feels totally natural and is exactly what I expect it to feel like. I don't know what too much "play" in the clutch pedal means. I don't think there is a lot of pedal travel between clutch takeup and full release. In fact, it's pretty short compared to a lot of cars.
I removed the spring from mine, but I never did the one that kept the clutch from going all the way to the floor. The play at the top of the pedal travel happens when you remove the spring, some people adjust the cruise control switch to hold it down.

I've driven manual transmission cars for over 25 years and I still felt there was room for improvement over the spring mod. It's not for everyone; removing the spring might be enough for some and a lot of people think the clutch is fine the way it comes from the factory.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
^thanks... it was a big improvement (& simple) but I still viewed the fix as a bandaid rather than a proper solution.
I think part of the issue is with the clutch slave actuator and is why there is a variety of results & impressions (good bad & otherwise).

The OP's pedal find does look really good though

kool_yaar (06-27-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
hmm...this is very interesting to me as I feel our clutch engagement is much too quick. I have gotten used to it over the years but still find it difficult sometimes.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
TO the OP: this looks like a very thorough setup. Like so many others, I've already gotten used to it, and am happy with the modded stock setup to the point where I don't even think about it anymore. I'm sure some will opt to spend the money on this system though. Nice addition to the forum.

kool_yaar (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
I got the weaker spring someone here and on myg37 is selling, I installed it last weekend, it seems a litlte better. If it's still really bugging me after a couple weeks I'll look into the rjm one. I definately would stall mine once a week if I've driving a lot because of it.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed the RJM bracket this morning. Took me a little longer than 2 hours, but the instructions are very thorough.

Prior to that I had the clutch spring removed and 4 nickels taped to the stop and switch to reduce the engagement distance. With the RJM bracket it is a night and day difference. Even with the spring removal and 4 nickels, there were times where I had to really concentrate to drive smoothly like on a steep ramp. I mean I had to turn off the radio and use all my senses except for taste to be able to consistently get out of 1st smoothly.

The RJM bracket was well worth it. I have it at 70% for now. Not sure if I'll try to fine tune it but it's super easy to use the dial.