G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

For people that track or autoX their V36, tips for a track day?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
For people that track or autoX their V36, tips for a track day?

Any tips for track day running a stock G35S?

Tire pressure on stock 18" Sports wheels?

Do you tape off the front and head lights with marking tape? (Do you tape it at the track or at home, which you will be driving all the way there with the tapes )

All windows has to be down?

Do you remove the spare tire in the trunk?

I remember people telling me not to pull the parking brake right after the session when parked, let the rear brakes cool down first.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
1. get a special set of wheels/tires for autox. A couple sessions will completely trash street tires. A dedicated set will save you a lot of $$$
2. Get rid of any extra weight you can
3. Be very careful what mods you have. If you have a bunch of mods in SCCA that aren't allowed, you will get bumped into modified class were you probably have no chance (You'be going against purpose built cars)
4. use blue painter tape if your gonna mark stuff off. I've seen some fun orange marks on people cars from hitting cones
5. I'd have the windows down, I mean you can't run the AC so its gonna get hot, unless you have one of those awesome racing suits with coolant systems

good luck!! drive fast and swervy

The following users liked this post:
stockae92 (07-23-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Id love to autox my G. SCCA has a few events here in Lexington through out the year and they look to be pretty fun. Maybe after I do a few more suspension mods.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Its VERY fun,,, unless u have magnetic numbers, ( for the doors) you'll need masking tape,( so they can identify you, or some places will let you use shoe polish, for your class, and number, otherwise, make sure your wheels are torqued, tires aired up, prolly need a helmet, open face works good, where i go to autox, they make you run with windows up,, but as soon as i go i roll em all down, also try to get there early and walk the course, so you'll sort of know whats comin, also, they might want EVERYTHING out of the car that can fly around,, even floormats

stockae92 (07-23-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM
anybody has suggestion of whats the tire pressure i should start with for 18" sport wheels?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
SOunds fun! I always wished I could do AutoX! Maybe one of these days! What do you mean you can't run the AC?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
If the windows are down, by mandate.... theres no point,,,, otherwise its just gonna take hp away from the motor...

Old 07-22-2012, 01:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
just go 2 psi over since there are gonna be some tight corners, and yea painters tape the crap out of hte front and sides since they're most prone to hitting cones

Old 07-22-2012, 01:50 AM
if you turn your heater all the way up and A/C off it will actually help keep the engine cooler

Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Can't speak much for Auto-X, but for road course duty there are a few things to definitely keep in mind.

And by road course, in your case, i'm guessing HPDE or some other instructor-led event.
  • Get your car tech inspected.
  • Replace your brake fluid, preferably one that withstands higher temperatures. You don't have to go crazy here just yet, being your first time. My first few days i was running perfectly fine on Valvoline DOT3/4 fluid (replaced just before, and right after the track day.)
  • Make sure you have at least 3/4 of your brake pad left
  • Start with your OEM tire pressures. As you get more involved, tinker with it by adding or removing as track conditions dictate. If you get really involved, invest in a pyrometer to determine how your tires are performing. This will help you determine how much or little camber you have, and how much to adjust tire pressures.
  • I've never taped headlights on the course. You can, of course, but honestly if there's road debris up ahead, there's little blue tape can do for you other than somewhat preventing scuffs.
  • Blue tape can be used to place numbers on your car, if required (typically with HPDE's, almost never for instructor-led courses.)
  • Ideally, all windows should be down. This is to prevent any risk of carbon monoxide build-up, especially since A/C will have to be off the entire time.
  • My first few days out, i did not go into reducing weight. It will be some time before you'll appreciate the advantages of minute weight-loss techniques to be had with the G. Your goal the first 5-10 times out should be to learn the lines. You can go much faster perfecting the lines than you will by losing 50lbs of dead weight. To this day i still hit the course with spare tire in the trunk *and* both my kids child seats still latched.
  • You will get one or two cool-down laps after each session, as you drive out of the track try to limit stepping on the brakes for any prolonged amount of time. And, when you finally park, do not stay on the foot brakes that long either. Definitely *do not* put the parking brakes on.
  • Try to keep your hands in the 9/3 position, event when turning. Do not put hand over hand (cross arms)when turning, if at all possible.
  • TCS on/off? That's personal preference.
  • Invest in a torque wrench. Torque down those wheels before and between sessions.
  • Bring extra -- oil, washer fluid, atf, brake fluid and water. Yes, a lot of people tend to forget to drink during these days and tend to start dehydrating. If your pee starts getting yellow, you're not drinking enough.

Whether HPDE or classes, each track or organization will also have their own set of rules. Most of them are the same, but read up on them anyway to make sure you comply.

That's it for now. I'll add if i remember anything else. Hopefully other track veterans can also chime in.

stockae92 (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
dont break it..have fun

Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM
awesome advise, thanks guys

Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
always brake generously before a corner, because these aren't light weight cars, if you trail break in prepare to pay the price