G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Comfort/Quiet Tire for 18" Sport Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Comfort/Quiet Tire for 18" Sport Rims

Im selling my G37 coupe 19s to my friend, and my eibach suspension and want to switch to a nice comfortable, quiet, tire for my sport 18s. Was thinking an all season, but wasn't sure. These are going to become my summer tire and i'd like to get some tread life out of them. Biggest thing is noise and ride comfort though. I am sick of expansion joint pavement slamming on the freeway. Makes my back hurt and the tire rumble is also just getting to me.

I'v thought about the Michelin MXM4 Primacy? Wasn't sure if anyone else had run those. Im not even sure if they come in the sport 18" size.

If i was shopping for my OEM 17s or OEM 19s, this wouldn't be a terribly big deal as I know better what to look for, but i'v never shopped tires for these 18s or what people like to run. I have Hankook Ventus V4ES right now that the dealer put on when I bought it, and the tires suck. Noisey in their age, horrible grip, and dont feel good on the highway.

Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
J, check out the Continental DW or DWS. I have the former and it's noticeably comfier than the V12s i had prior. The ride reminds me a lot of the General Exclaims i had in the past.

The DWS should be even quieter/comfier with its softer sidewalls.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Im selling my G37 coupe 19s to my friend, and my eibach suspension and want to switch to a nice comfortable, quiet, tire for my sport 18s. Was thinking an all season, but wasn't sure. These are going to become my summer tire and i'd like to get some tread life out of them. Biggest thing is noise and ride comfort though. I am sick of expansion joint pavement slamming on the freeway. Makes my back hurt and the tire rumble is also just getting to me.

I'v thought about the Michelin MXM4 Primacy? Wasn't sure if anyone else had run those. Im not even sure if they come in the sport 18" size.

If i was shopping for my OEM 17s or OEM 19s, this wouldn't be a terribly big deal as I know better what to look for, but i'v never shopped tires for these 18s or what people like to run. I have Hankook Ventus V4ES right now that the dealer put on when I bought it, and the tires suck. Noisey in their age, horrible grip, and dont feel good on the highway.

Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks!
You can also try the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. It just came out like a month ago and some stores are starting to carry those for a cheaper price than the Michelin Primacy. It's an updated tire for the Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity Technology and supposed to be better in wet conditions and a lot longer life. (75k miles vs. 50k miles) I'm not a fan of the Continental DWS. I read reviews online how they wear out really quickly. Plus, once the W, and S wear out, all they're really good for is dry pavement. I like a tire with consistent performance up to its wear indicators.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Plus, once the W, and S wear out, all they're really good for is dry pavement. I like a tire with consistent performance up to its wear indicators.
It's just an indicator, really. IIRC, the W wears out at the 4/32 mark, which is the industry-regarded minimum tread depth for decent wet traction. Any tire that goes below that mark will have markedly reduced wet performance.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Well, I'll give you my two cents worth anyway . . .
I just put a set of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on mine and I'm very impressed. Their handling manners are superb . They have been quite smooth over freeway expansion joints (yep, we've got hem here too ), are very quiet (in fact a night and day difference from the RE050A or Goodyear F1's I've tried before), they grip extremely well, and are relatively lightweight. It's early yet, but they are supposedly guaranteed to last 30K miles in non-staggered fitment, and at least half that when staggered (since they can't be rotated). That may seem like no biggie, but it's a fair demonstration of confidence on Michelin's part to make ANY claim for a max performance summer tire. Both my Bridgestone's and Goodyear's were typically shot before that, but I just rode them out to slicks to get some more life out of them. The trouble with that was that they handled like **** for a good portion of their usage, and were noisy to a fault. They aren't the cheapest tires, but they actually aren't well over the top the way the PS2's always were. I got the OEM sized set out-the-door from Costco for $970.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I have the DW on my 19s, and I feel it's pretty good for a 19. They are also very, very quiet.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
The DWS should be even quieter/comfier with its softer sidewalls.
Definitely check out the DWSes. Great, quiet tire overall.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM
I just got my Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires for $633 installed and balanced.

That's a really cheap price compared even to Costco.

The only complaints I hear about the Continental DWS is that on some cars, the car will drift while traveling straight and that the tire wears out quickly (around 30k miles.) However, they said the performance is good.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...irePageLocQty=

http://reviews.conti-online.com/7501...ws/reviews.htm

Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
michelin pilot super sports! supposed to be one of the best!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by pbabajan
michelin pilot super sports! supposed to be one of the best!
Also super expensive compared to the other tires suggested...lol

Old 07-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Wow Janik, I am surprised... you are definetly getting old! No more young boy driving the G....

Old 07-17-2012, 04:51 PM
I'd take some of those low mileage reviews with a grain of salt, especially when there are tons more showing up to 60k+ miles on their sets.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Also super expensive compared to the other tires suggested...lol
Hmm, IDK what you consider "super expensive",

The current price for a stock sized set of Super Sports at Tire Rack is $774 after rebate. It's not that much more than the $726 price they list for the DWS's which are currently listed at a special closeout price.

(Additionally, the DW doesn't come in the the stock front sport size.)

Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
I'd take some of those low mileage reviews with a grain of salt, especially when there are tons more showing up to 60k+ miles on their sets.
Apparently, these tires are really notorious for pulling to the right as shown on Google here:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=DWS+pulling+to+the+right&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Hmm, IDK what you consider "super expensive",

The current price for a stock sized set of Super Sports at Tire Rack is $774 after rebate. It's not that much more than the $726 price they list for the DWS's which are currently listed at a special closeout price.

(Additionally, the DW doesn't come in the the stock front sport size.)
At that price I'd rather get the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position for $762.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comfort/Quiet Tire for 18" Sport Rims