G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Was there ever a recall issued for the faulty dash warping issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was there ever a recall issued for the faulty dash warping issue?

I recently purchased a 2007 G35 and the dash has warping around the edges over the instrument cluster and down lower on the sides of the center radio console. Was there ever a recall issued for this or am I just out of luck since my warranty is expired?

The interior is irritating. All of the door seals on the top portion of all four doors comes out of the track that is supposed to hold them in place. The steering wheel trim and door handle trim all have the scuffing and scratching of the painted material. And the above mentioned warping of the dash.

I love the car but there is really no excuse for these cheap interiors. My 2008 Volvo S40 has an interior that's one hundred times more durable. It's just not nearly as fun to drive!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
No there was never a recall for interior trim of any sort. There was a recall for the Intelligent Key and the airbag but that was really all in terms of recalls.

Everything else was just TSBs.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ITBs

Bimmer...

There were ITBs on all of those issues and were replaceable under warranty. I had my dash over the gauge cluster replaced and will be getting the steering wheel and door handle trim pieces replaced as well under warranty. The door handle trim pieces aren't too expensive. There are sponsors on here that carry those parts (like Grubbs Infiniti) and they will hook you up with a discount. There is a DIY on here as well to replace the steering wheel trim ring. As for the dash, you'll have to cough up some $$$$$ to get that replaced.

I also have a Volvo (XC70) and yes, the euro interiors are far superior in quality IMO. Even my 2003 VW GTI interior trumps the G's. I was hoping for a little more with Infiniti, but in reality, it's still a Nissan.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
they replaced my dash console, steering wheel and door jams under warranty. no questions asked.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
^ Exactly. You have to be under warranty to get those replaced free.

The OP says he's not, so he can't get them replaced free.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
People have had some limited success with having them replaced out of warranty, but it's really on an individual basis depending on how much "good will" the dealer wants to give. My guess is that if you're taking your car in for a major payed servicing, then they are more likely to consider throwing it in than if you just show up asking for something for nothing.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I don't know why the original owner didn't have these items repaired/replaced under warranty. The door trim and steering wheel trim pieces seemingly will flake even if they are replaced. I don't think an "upgraded" part was ever made for the 2007-2008 models and from what I am reading the G37 parts will not fit the door or steering wheel areas of the 07-08 models.

Other than the interior issues and the current cost of premium unleaded fuel..........my 2007 G35 is a hell of a lot of fun to drive!

I can't decide what aggravates me the most...............the flaking door / steering wheel trim, warping dash, or the stupid door seals constantly coming off!!!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Bimmer1
... The door trim and steering wheel trim pieces seemingly will flake even if they are replaced. I don't think an "upgraded" part was ever made for the 2007-2008 models and from what I am reading the G37 parts will not fit the door or steering wheel areas of the 07-08 models.

Unless they have recently changed them, the replacement parts will not chip or flake, as they were simply made of a solid colored material; there's no paint on them to rub off. I have them on my own car and there is no sign of any of the original issues.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Like Vqsmile says, some have had out-of-warranty success. I would hit up your dealer to see what they can do and if unsuccessful, following up with corporate. My brother had an entire door replaced and the b-pillar fascia replaced way out of warranty after bringing it up to his dealer.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
looks like your questions have been answered... the instrument cluster above the steering wheel was not replaced for me instead I think they glued it down... looks like it did the job and worst case if it gets worse I will have to do it myself.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I couldn't care less of those cosmetic problems (yes I have them too), I don't look at them because I have fun when driving the car anyways. At least it's not some leak or engine problem.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my car back from the dealer today, and I had exactly the same issue with the paint and finish flaking from the door handles and the steering wheel. Thankfully, everything was replaced under the original manufacturer's warranty, which will expire in three weeks. I can tell you though, that the doorhandles are exactly the same material/feel as what I had before, but the steering wheel material is different. The old steering wheel felt rubbery on the black trim around the switches, whereas the new one feels like it's made of hard plastic. The dealer said that there was no need to replace the entire steering wheel, since there was an ISB for the trim in the steering wheel. Apparently replacing just the hard plastic black trim.

As for the dash peeling, you can also check with the dealer and see if they can replace it for you whether you're covered by the warranty or not. Good luck to you.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by mroadster2k

.. The dealer said that there was no need to replace the entire steering wheel, since there was an ISB for the trim in the steering wheel. Apparently replacing just the hard plastic black trim.

That is interesting.
In the past, they typically (and inexplicably) have NOT done that; replacing the entire wheel instead. Maybe they finally came around to their senses about the wastefulness of the old method.

The following users liked this post:
mroadster2k (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And that's exactly it! Considering I've read stories of others getting the entire steering wheel replaced, I went to the dealer, they in fact said that they'd need to order a new steering wheel, but when the pieces came, and the service advisor said that there was a "fix" to the chipping/peeling on the steering wheel, I was skeptical. They said that there had been a bulletin to just replace the black inside trim, some bolts, and yes, it was done as he advised, and it looks like new. The replacement trim is not the old painted material, but as you said, a harder black plastic. Thumbs up!!