G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Akebono brakes and you...problem and possible advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Paneraiguy
Ok, now we are getting somewhere. This is precisely the information I am after. Thanks!

So would +35 or 40 offsets have the wheel sticking out of the fender? I was thinking some new concave wheels would be a sure bet but wheel shops are telling me no for my X sedan. WTF? I must be talking to the wrong people or they can't get me wheels that clear but are not staggered- don't need spacers plus reasonable offsets that are good for just driving to work and a square set up.

Am I asking to much on the wheel set up maybe?
No, not with an 8" wheel.
OEM X wheels are 7.5" +45
An 8" +35 wheel will stick out approx 5/8" further than OEM
An 8" +40 wheel will stick out approx 7/16" further than OEM

It will also make a difference if you stretch the tire a little (or a lot) or not at all.

My wheels are; front 8.5" +37 still tucked about a 1/2" and the rear are 10" +48 and are close to flush.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 08-21-2012 at 01:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TunerMax (09-07-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks rpm.

I think it's the information I am being given from vendors that is screwing with me. I just want a set of non staggered reasonable offset wheels I can bolt on my car and go. That's it. I have one wheel vendor telling me I need spacers or need to run 10 offsets but he printed out the Akebono template and put it on the wheels they have in stock. I have another vendor telling me a set of Rohana RC20's I would lik using 20x 9 all around with 35 offsets on all 4 wheels will work.

Then another vendor telling me I need spacers or an aggressive set up to work for the same wheels.

What a cluster...

Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
guessing you dont want the OEM G37 coupe rims. i like the way they look powdercoated.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
OP - I know you said you didn't want to use spacers, but seriously I think a 5mm spacer or so might give you enough clearance. While I don't know your personal reasons as to why you are opposed to spacers, this is the most inexpensive and sensible solution to your dilemma.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 PM
I am not opposed to spacers I would just prefer to get wheels I can bolt on and go. OEM sport wheels do the trick but I was thinking I could get a set of aftermarket wheels that work to.

The tires shops I go to and the dealer service reps keep telling me to stay away from spacers. I have no experience with them so take that into consideration. Yes, spacers are the cheapest solution.

I really just thought it would be easy to get some cool wheels that have no clearance issues and be on my way. I guess I am just making this more difficult then it needs to be....

Old 08-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Thanks rpm.

I think it's the information I am being given from vendors that is screwing with me. I just want a set of non staggered reasonable offset wheels I can bolt on my car and go. That's it. I have one wheel vendor telling me I need spacers or need to run 10 offsets but he printed out the Akebono template and put it on the wheels they have in stock. I have another vendor telling me a set of Rohana RC20's I would lik using 20x 9 all around with 35 offsets on all 4 wheels will work.

Then another vendor telling me I need spacers or an aggressive set up to work for the same wheels.

What a cluster...
I know it can be tricky. You need to be very careful when buying wheels that clear the Infiniti/Akebono BBK.

My own experience: In Nov 2011 I was buying a set of winter alloys and my usual wheel vendor assured me he had a nice looking set of 18" that would clear my brakes. When we tried to fit them on it wasn't even close to going over. They needed at least another inch to clear the front brake.
By all accounts and according to his manufacturers wheel guide, the offsets and inner diameter where great enough but they failed at two things.
1. the wheel manufacturers guide indicated that the BBK on the 2011 G where still the same as on the 2006 (Brembos)
2. the spoke pattern. The wheels had about a 1.5" lip that also made matters worse. If the spokes had been flush with the outer wheel (like an OEM wheel) it may have worked out also.

To make a long story short, width and offset are important but an overlooked variable is the wheel spokes and whether or not there is much of a lip.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks rpm- that is basically what I am dealing with now.

One of the vendors on myg37 printed out the Akebono template and put it on some wheels I wanted. That seems to be the only way to know. Other vendors were referencing fitment guides.

I guess I will have to call the same vendor and just ask him to put that Akebono template on some other wheel selections.

Not sure how else to approach this if I want new wheels?

It would be even more cool if wheel vendors put that in thier posts here on the forum. This wheel clears Akebono brakes and include a pic of the template resting on the hub - then I can say SOLD to Paneraiguy !

Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I am not opposed to spacers I would just prefer to get wheels I can bolt on and go. OEM sport wheels do the trick but I was thinking I could get a set of aftermarket wheels that work to.

The tires shops I go to and the dealer service reps keep telling me to stay away from spacers. I have no experience with them so take that into consideration. Yes, spacers are the cheapest solution.

I really just thought it would be easy to get some cool wheels that have no clearance issues and be on my way. I guess I am just making this more difficult then it needs to be....
Spacers are not as big of a deal as some people mention. Can they be problematic? Yes. But pretty much every time I've seen a spacer fail it's due to improper installation or use of the product. A simple slip on spacer should not pose any issues as long as you have the proper stud length and it is hubcentric.

Even our wheels, which tend to have excellent brake clearance, might have problems clearing Akebonos without a spacer in a 19x8.5 size. If you're interested in knowing if our V710 or V705 clears I can check with a caliper template. PM me the file if you have it on hand.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
Spacers are not as big of a deal as some people mention. Can they be problematic? Yes. But pretty much every time I've seen a spacer fail it's due to improper installation or use of the product. A simple slip on spacer should not pose any issues as long as you have the proper stud length and it is hubcentric.

Even our wheels, which tend to have excellent brake clearance, might have problems clearing Akebonos without a spacer in a 19x8.5 size. If you're interested in knowing if our V710 or V705 clears I can check with a caliper template. PM me the file if you have it on hand.
That's all I really want. Since it's a literal gamble knowing if wheels besides OEM sport rims fit then the only alternative is to see if a vendor will print the online template from concept Z performance and just check the wheels for a customer.
I am learning that is about the only way to be sure. I thought I would join the "cool" club and put Akebonos on my sedan but didn't realize what a PITA it would be if you don't want to make many wheel compromises.

I think vendors can sale more wheels to people with older sedans if they put that in thier sale adds. Just another way to broaden your buying audience.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Got your email.

Will be working on that shortly and report my findings.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
Got your email.

Will be working on that shortly and report my findings.
If anything it will let everyone here on the forum know that VMR wheels clear Akebono brakes with no hassles proved with the template method like the picture in my first post.

The following users liked this post:
BLKHENNY (06-30-2014)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
Find someone with AKebonos and measure yours wheels! They might fit on the Akebonos! Templates are not always perfect. Do what I did. I found someone locally (bluedevils95) and test fit them on the Akebonos. Chances are they might fit. That's an option! When I test fitted my template it looked like they needed like 10-15mm spacers. I only used 5mm to clear them!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM
My problem is that I don't know anyone with Akebonos that will let me test fit wheels. I got to rely on the template since guesses and guides from vendors have been confusing the hell out of me.

I just want some pimp wheels that I can put on without any offset and spacer hassles and go...ha

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 08-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I just went out and looked at my OZ ultraleggera wheels, which are 18x8 with a +48 and granted i have the puny oem brakes, and its a modest upgraded wheel and tire combo,,( very handsome btw) but i have ALOT of room up front! diameter wise and spoke clearence wise. but i am prolly wrong, and overlooking something.....

Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
I have 19x8.5in +35mm (or 36mm can't remember) Volk GTF's in the front with Akebono's. They clear no problem. Some wheels such as Volks come with a choice of insets which is basically how the spokes are designed from the inside which dictates how much clearance you can have for BBKs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Akebono brakes and you...problem and possible advice