G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Akebono brakes and you...problem and possible advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
G35
buy GOOD spacers and GOOD extended studs, and rock on. You hear spacer issues because of improper installs and garbage parts. A 5-10mm spacer is NOTHING. If we're talking 25 or more I'd say stay away and you're on the right track with new rims.

I say this semi-reluctantly, because personally I think those rims are not at all suited to that beautiful car they're under, so I'm trying not to talk you out of switching it up lol.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Paneraiguy
It's a by-product of stream of consciousness thinking. Which will explain the majority of my nonsensical posts.

I am after the "goldielocks" modded sedan.

Not stock but not to outrageous wheels (so it looks aggressive but tasteful)
Not stock but not to outrageous engine mods (so at least my sedan can be differentiated from the younger teenage crowds modded rides that can be heard for blocks down the road)
Not stock but not to low of a drop (so I am not scraping everything and can get up my driveway)
Not stock but not to riced out exterior mods (so my sedan still looks like a sedan and won't show up in the "post a pic of your local ricer" thread)
*too

What do you do if you don't have a spacer and run over a nail and need to place your spare on? buy a 5th wheel for a full size spare? buy one spacer to use with your spare?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo
*too

What do you do if you don't have a spacer and run over a nail and need to place your spare on? buy a 5th wheel for a full size spare? buy one spacer to use with your spare?
Or buy a spare that comes on an "S", although I'm sure that would be a horrendous ripoff

Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Or buy a spare that comes on an "S", although I'm sure that would be a horrendous ripoff
Initially i brought the rear OEM 18s in the trunk, along with a small spacer. Then got hold of a bigger spacer and left the wheel in the garage.

Then i found a somewhat good deal on the 18 spare from the G37S from an out-of-state Junkyard -- $160 shipped to my door in mint condition. I'm sure there's a lot of those these days.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Initially i brought the rear OEM 18s in the trunk, along with a small spacer. Then got hold of a bigger spacer and left the wheel in the garage.

Then i found a somewhat good deal on the 18 spare from the G37S from an out-of-state Junkyard -- $160 shipped to my door in mint condition. I'm sure there's a lot of those these days.
That is actually my plan. I see a few guys willing to part with their Akebono friendly spare tire which I can swap out for my current version. Then I should be fine in case of a flat.

See below

http://www.myg37.com/forums/private-...-rim-tire.html

Old 09-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Mike or anyone else that might know~will the stock 17" non-S spare fit over the BBK w/ a 15mm spacer?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Paneraiguy
That is actually my plan. I see a few guys willing to part with their Akebono friendly spare tire which I can swap out for my current version. Then I should be fine in case of a flat.

See below

http://www.myg37.com/forums/private-...-rim-tire.html
Get one while you can!

Mike or anyone else that might know~will the stock 17" non-S spare fit over the BBK w/ a 15mm spacer?
Nada from what i can tell. The inner barrel is the biggest issue. You'd have to push the wheel out significantly to clear the top of the caliper.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Get one while you can!

Nada from what i can tell. The inner barrel is the biggest issue. You'd have to push the wheel out significantly to clear the top of the caliper.
Guess I'd better carry a couple cans of fix-a-flat or pony up for the right spare
Oh all the considerations w/ these BBKs

Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM
So I finally decided on new wheels and in the process installed everything I had sitting in the garage.

I went away from my usual chrome rim route and decided on something a little sportier that would also clear the akebonos. The wheels are Concept One CSM-7 20X9 with 36 offsets all around.

Below is all the other stuff I decided to put on the car this past couple of weeks.

BRAKES: I have stoptech drilled and slotted rotors all around along with blue Akebono calipers.
I painted them myself with old ford blue duplicolor hi temp paint.
I also decided to throw on some stoptech stainless steel lines.
IMPRESSION I can say the akebono rotors and calipers are some heavy equipment (literally heavy). Undoubtedly they stop my car with more authority and look great while doing it. So mission accomplished.

SPRINGS I had bought a set of lowering springs from Swift (the AWD version)
IMPRESSION Besides the cosmetic appeal I am fairly happy so far. I did not want the slammed look or absurd chamber since I don't see how you can drive your car without mangling it. The springs offered a mild drop so I have been able to drive over every speed bump without any scraping. The ride is not much different from stock BUT it is not exactly the same. The bumps feed through the chassis a little more harsh but some of this I will also blame my on new rims and lower profile tires. In all I am happy with the ride and look. I would recommend Swift springs to anyone looking for a drop without compromising the usability of your ride.

WHEELSConcept One CSM-7s 20X9 with 36 offsets all around.
IMPRESSION These wheels are not something I would have first went after but they have started to grow on me. They are a little heavy (220lbs with tires for all four) but that is the compromise I am willing to accept. In all I am satisfied with the look and there is no need for spacers. I know some would say I need a wider stance but I am going for an OEM PLUS look rather than the highly modified look.

I am nearly done with everything I wanted to put on the car (full list of what I have done so far below in chronological order).

1. Wheels Vertini Hennessey then switched to Concept One CSM-7 just this past week.
  2. Ark CBE
  3. Custom Merc wanna be LEDs installed
  4. DIY midnight grill
  5. Stillen Gen 3 intake (heat wrapped)
  6. Back up camera installed
  7. Autokits carbon fiber rear diffuser
  8. OEM front spoiler
  9. Ebay aluminum sport pedal (I really dig these and they were only $40)
  10. FI resonated high flow cats (these added noticeable acceleration around 3k-4k but they are a bit more amplification of the ARK than I would like)
  11. Swift lowering springs
  12. Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors all around
  13. Stoptech stainless steel brake lines
  14. Akebono calipers

I would say the only things left (that I want to do) are get a Osiris tune and possibly some splash guards(anyone have any for sale?)

I am also considering smoking my tail lights but I want to try to keep it very mild.

How she looks so far.

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 09-24-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 PM
That looks great all around, the swift springs look to drop a bit more than the Eibachs, looks like a perfect drop that's easier to live with, I love my drop but it does cause a few headaches now & then. Looks like you've nailed just about everything on your list, like those wheels too and your calipers look nice in that color w/ your G. That's the last thing on my wish list (the BBK that is)
Thumbs up bro!

BTW, how much clearance in mm do you have for the front calipers? Looks like the wheels aren't too far from flush, just about right I think!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 AM
That looks great all around, the swift springs look to drop a bit more than the Eibachs, looks like a perfect drop that's easier to live with, I love my drop but it does cause a few headaches now & then. Looks like you've nailed just about everything on your list, like those wheels too and your calipers look nice in that color w/ your G. That's the last thing on my wish list (the BBK that is)
Thumbs up bro!

BTW, how much clearance in mm do you have for the front calipers? Looks like the wheels aren't too far from flush, just about right I think!
Thanks. I think the Swift springs drop the car slightly more in the front giving it more of a Merc 300C class sedan look (not that I was going for that look it is just what it compares to).

Regarding clearance without spacers. It's about 7mm in the front and the back has tons of clearance. I will get a picture for better reference later.

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 09-23-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Some updated brake and wheel clearance pictures below.

Front clearance (I think the angle makes it look like it barely has any clearance but in all there is around 7mm)

Rear clearance

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 09-23-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Wheels and brakes look great!!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Those wheels do allow quite a bit of room & really have a classy upscale look to them. I really like that shade of blue, stands out just right without being too loud. Great pic quality too!

Old 09-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Also, big props to Eric at Getyourwheels.com

http://www.getyourwheels.com/

He answered all my absurd questions and didn't flinch at all when he was constantly badgered on fitment and measuring wheels.
He ordered a set of wheels for me only to have to send them back after the manufacturer stated they would clear the Akebonos and it turned out they would not after he measured them.

Great wheel vendor that puts up with absurd questions and always remains professional and courteous.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Akebono brakes and you...problem and possible advice