G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Akebono brakes and you...problem and possible advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Paneraiguy
If anything it will let everyone here on the forum know that VMR wheels clear Akebono brakes with no hassles proved with the template method like the picture in my first post.
Surprisingly I found that it does appear to clear our 19x8.5 +35mm.

I have some photos of a G35 with Akebonos and our wheels, however I know we had a spacer on it so the final offset was a little different.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks VMR! That's what I am talking about! Wheels that clear these PITA Akebono brakes with no hassles. This is very helpful for 2nd gen sedan owners that want to upgrade to sport brakes in the future and are looking for wheels.

Do you have any styles like the vertini hennessey on my car by chance?

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 08-22-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
We do not have any lipped wheels in production currently, just monoblock concave style wheels.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Liking those VMR wheels more & more as I see them, classy & sporty.
Don't mean to sidetrack the thread but anyone have pics of Willwood brake kits on 2nd gen sedans? I haven't been able to find any.
OP, did you get your blue calipers done yet? Should look awesome if you can find wheels that you like and will fit.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by blnewt
Liking those VMR wheels more & more as I see them, classy & sporty.
Thanks!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Brake clearance has a lot to do with spoke design more than anything with wheel sizes 18" and up.

My old Nismo A34's 19" were 8.5+35 all around and had *tons* of clearance.
My old Rennen C10's 20", fronts were 8.5+24 and had just enough clearance
The current Enkei RP03's 18" are 9.5+38 all around and has plenty of clearance

On flushness, etc. Here's the kicker, camber plays a vital role with it. After going with the Enkei's, my wheels were tucked just ever so slightly. After finally installing the camber kits and going closer to spec, they're perflectly flush IMHO.

Your tire widths will also factor in a little on flushness and clearance as far as that goes. Also, not all tire manufacturers match up in terms of widths of the same #. (i.e. 245s with brand x may run narrower than the same 245 with brand z.)

Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
VMR...

Do all of your wheels clear or only some.. << Interested buyer!
car specs below.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks Soundmike. I am slowing learning these nuances the hard way. Gone are the days of buying a set of wheels , bolting them on and driving off.

Now I have to deal with clearance, chamber, sizing, spacer BS and on and on...

All this hassle cause I don't want spacers on my car.

Update- I have found wheels that will "supposedly"(and I use that term loosely) clear and that I actually like. The vendor will double check fitment and the template before they ship. They were ordered for an 11 sport (but not staggered set up) with Akebonos so they should fit I am guessing and not look crazy. Crossing fingers.

Now if only someone will take my Vertini's.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
^ based on that pic you posted, you can get away with a 5mm spacer. No need for extended studs. 7 turns on the lugs is the minimum safe, and, I could do that on my oem setup.

tell you what, if you want to give it a shot I can lend you my 5mm spacers.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
^ based on that pic you posted, you can get away with a 5mm spacer. No need for extended studs. 7 turns on the lugs is the minimum safe, and, I could do that on my oem setup.

tell you what, if you want to give it a shot I can lend you my 5mm spacers.
Thanks Soundmike! Tempting offer indead but I am steering away from spacers and going with a new wheel set up. Crossing my fingers it will work out.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
VMR...

Do all of your wheels clear or only some.. << Interested buyer!
car specs below.
Our wheels generally have great brake clearance, however it does vary a bit by model and sizing, so if that is ever the case we recommend testing it each time (unless we have confirmed it to fit previously).

V710s, which is what I tested the brake template on, is one of the better options we have for caliper clearance. Some of our other models like the V703 do not have the same spoke contours so they have less inner clearance.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
It's too bad the Akebonos are so wide, love to have a BBK soon but really don't want the added expense of new wheels. I'm going to template my wheels but just eyeballing them it's not looking promising. I only have room for a 17mm spacer and that would even be pushing it since my front tires are below the fender lip
OP, look forward to pics when you finally get the "winning" wheels

Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by blnewt
It's too bad the Akebonos are so wide, love to have a BBK soon but really don't want the added expense of new wheels. I'm going to template my wheels but just eyeballing them it's not looking promising. I only have room for a 17mm spacer and that would even be pushing it since my front tires are below the fender lip
OP, look forward to pics when you finally get the "winning" wheels

I think I found the wheels that will work but they are not the multi-spoke type I usually like. This is going to be a leap of faith style wise since I bought some trendy five star concave wheels.

After I put the brakes and springs on, that should basically conclude what I wanted to do to my car.
The goal is to make the car fun to drive and usable for everyday life.

Anyone want my vertini wheels?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts

I didn't get the akabono's for anything other than show. For those fleeting moments of people and car enthusiasts looking at the car and seeing big beefy drilled slotted rotors with blue calipers that are sort of obnoxious.

Oh... And if they stop the car better it's an added bonus. Sort of ridiculous reasons to have it but that was the extent of why I got the BBK.

I think I found the wheels that will work but they are not the multi-spoke type I usually like. This is going to be a leap of faith style wise since I bought some trendy five star concave wheels.

After I put the brakes and springs on, that should basically conclude what I wanted to do to my car.
The goal is to make the car fun to drive and usable for everyday life.

Hmmm... how you got from that one post to the other is beyond me, but I'll bet that's your story and you're stickin to it.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Hmmm... how you got from that one post to the other is beyond me, but I'll bet that's your story and you're stickin to it.
It's a by-product of stream of consciousness thinking. Which will explain the majority of my nonsensical posts.

I am after the "goldielocks" modded sedan.

Not stock but not too outrageous wheels (so it looks aggressive but tasteful)
Not stock but not too outrageous engine mods (so at least my sedan can be differentiated from the younger teenage crowds modded rides that can be heard for blocks down the road)
Not stock but not too low of a drop (so I am not scraping everything and can get up my driveway)
Not stock but not too riced out exterior mods (so my sedan still looks like a sedan and won't show up in the "post a pic of your local ricer" thread)

Last edited by Paneraiguy; 09-08-2012 at 01:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Akebono brakes and you...problem and possible advice